Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Working on a Host of Changes Across Its Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 07:29 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It was a sales dud because it just wasn't special enough. It was a good all rounder but you have to bring something special to get noticed by the consumers. Make it have outlandish styling or bring more standard horsepower or have more tech or be more luxurious....just something.
the 4th gen sold fine the first 4 years. Its just gotten really long in the tooth and badly needs a full redesign. So I disagree it was a sales dud.
Old 03-23-20, 07:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It was a sales dud because it just wasn't special enough. It was a good all rounder but you have to bring something special to get noticed by the consumers. Make it have outlandish styling or bring more standard horsepower or have more tech or be more luxurious....just something.
It wasn't a dud for the first few years, it sold pretty well and got very good reviews. After the 2016 "update"(making it ugly) and raising the price it became a dud, they should have introduced some kind of affordable non hybrid engine in the 350-400hp range in 2016 or at least a year or two after that.
Old 03-23-20, 08:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 476 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Who is this Lexus "insider", what credentials do they have? Is this the same one from that obscure site from a couple weeks ago? There is no proof any of this is happening yet until we hear it from Toyota, if this insider is remaining anonymous then they don't really have any credibility either.

If the news is true, it is terrible news for Lexus, enthusiasts and the auto industry. It is just a bleak future for the auto industry/enthusiasts unless you have a lot of money. If Lexus kills the GS they are going to have a big hole which the poor selling LS won't fill, it will hurt the brand, it is totally their fault for dropping the affordable V8 for a hybrid nobody wanted or bought, offering a lame 4 cyl nobody wanted or really bought, and not offering a affordable upgrade engine in the 350-400hp range, not sure why they would kill the GS because of poor sales yet still sell the LC, RC, LS as they all sell pretty poorly. Dropping the V8 in anything under 90K is just dumb too, people aren't going to buy 90+K Lexus vehicles anyway in any kind of numbers, it is just a money wasting plan to still do a new V8 but then it won't sell, spreading out the cost with it in more models is the only way to make it feasible money wise.
I wouldn't be surprized if in the next 5 years, Lexus will release a midsize fully electric RWD sedan - which effectively replaces the traditional GS gasoline powered RWD sedan to take on the Model S etc.
Old 03-23-20, 09:48 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Eiji would be very disappointed in akio's half-assed running of the company first brought to global dominance by the former
Old 03-24-20, 05:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

this is 40 days old article
Old 03-24-20, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

As far as the GS goes, wouldn't everyone agree that in 1998, the GS400 was such a great car, people were saying 528i what? But as each generation came out, rather than raise the level of awesomeness, Toyota diminished it. I would ask why and who made these decisions?I kid you not. People actually desired the GS400 over a 528i. 528's had deep dish rims back then! Doesn't seem that Lexus could ever get back to where they were. They really shocked everyone in late 1989. edit p.s. any Lexus enthusiast should be able to cite the 4 objectives the car co. had in the mid 80's which culminated with the 1990 LS400. Just as you should be able to cite the core values of your employer. Noteworthy is that in 2020, none of those principles apply.
Old 03-24-20, 06:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It sold well enough for about the first 5 years of the current lifecycle. That's when it should have been up for a replacement, but now we're on year 9 of the same generation so it's really not hard to see why the sales have gone stale.
Old 03-24-20, 07:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I wouldn't be surprized if in the next 5 years, Lexus will release a midsize fully electric RWD sedan - which effectively replaces the traditional GS gasoline powered RWD sedan to take on the Model S etc.
I think that's what the next gen mirai is for, which is hydrogen fuel cell of course.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
As far as the GS goes, wouldn't everyone agree that in 1998, the GS400 was such a great car, people were saying 528i what? But as each generation came out, rather than raise the level of awesomeness, Toyota diminished it.
I agree. My 2000 GS400 was probably the best car (for its time) i've ever had.

I would ask why and who made these decisions?I kid you not. People actually desired the GS400 over a 528i. 528's had deep dish rims back then!
My neighbor had a 540i. He loved my GS. i had to not laugh at his WORTHLESS "CD" based nav.

Anyway, we must get over the nostalgia, lexus going forward won't please everyone and it's not like they're the only maker with extensive changes. The world went crossover mad in the past 20 years, and lexus has responded by adding 2 models that do well. When the gx and lx get redone they'll have a stout line-up of ux, nx, rx, gx, lx.
Old 03-24-20, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Anyway, we must get over the nostalgia,
Respectfully, I disagree. The Charger, Challenger, Mustang, Chrysler 300, Suburban, and several other vehicles clearly prove otherwise. Like it or not, automotive nostalgia is not something to be swept under the rug.

That's not to say that vehicles should never be updated, but proven success shouldn't be tampered with.

lexus going forward won't please everyone and it's not like they're the only maker with extensive changes. The world went crossover mad in the past 20 years, and lexus has responded by adding 2 models that do well. When the gx and lx get redone they'll have a stout line-up of ux, nx, rx, gx, lx.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it (and we had some threads about this), Lexus, in the next redesign, intends to leave one of the two (LX or GX) as BOF, for those who want off-road capability.
Old 03-24-20, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Respectfully, I disagree. The Charger, Challenger, Mustang, Chrysler 300, Suburban, and several other vehicles clearly prove otherwise. Like it or not, automotive nostalgia is not something to be swept under the rug.

That's not to say that vehicles should never be updated, but proven success shouldn't be tampered with.
just keeping the names does appeal to many, certainly, but a mustang today, for example, is NOTHING like in the past. times change.
Old 03-24-20, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

If they think GS sales are low now, wait until they see how low they are if they do that, it will make the hybrid version nobody bought look like huge success.
Old 03-24-20, 09:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think that's what the next gen mirai is for, which is hydrogen fuel cell of course.

I agree. My 2000 GS400 was probably the best car (for its time) i've ever had.

My neighbor had a 540i. He loved my GS. i had to not laugh at his WORTHLESS "CD" based nav.

Anyway, we must get over the nostalgia, lexus going forward won't please everyone and it's not like they're the only maker with extensive changes. The world went crossover mad in the past 20 years, and lexus has responded by adding 2 models that do well. When the gx and lx get redone they'll have a stout line-up of ux, nx, rx, gx, lx.
540's were nice, but flawed, as in fan going through the hood more than once flawed! I had a coworker who went to MASS and got a used 540i wagon, beautiful car. Had to have been like 2005 or so. The 2nd time the fan broke he said that's it. But his dad had now I actually assume a LS430 of all cars lol And he was telling me his dad asked him how come I go to get an oil change and it's over $100 and not even synthetic. And this guy's explanation is basically they are in competition with BMW MB etc. so the pricing is similar.

I know I was in awe of the 1998 GS400 and at the time it wasn't almost as nice as a BMW, it was nice as a BMW. It was as good if not better, at least from desirability. Not reliability, but desirability. If Lexus wants that to be the case today, they have been on the wrong track for a while--the LS500 and imho GS are examples, but so are the RX and IS and what other models do they make lol I would not necessarily say the RC and LC fall into that category. Those two are interesting, but expensive.
Old 03-24-20, 10:22 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
As far as the GS goes, wouldn't everyone agree that in 1998, the GS400 was such a great car, people were saying 528i what? But as each generation came out, rather than raise the level of awesomeness, Toyota diminished it. I would ask why and who made these decisions?I kid you not. People actually desired the GS400 over a 528i. 528's had deep dish rims back then! Doesn't seem that Lexus could ever get back to where they were. They really shocked everyone in late 1989. edit p.s. any Lexus enthusiast should be able to cite the 4 objectives the car co. had in the mid 80's which culminated with the 1990 LS400. Just as you should be able to cite the core values of your employer. Noteworthy is that in 2020, none of those principles apply.
Exactly! I have to admit, I totally agree with you. You've verbalized my thoughts..
Old 03-24-20, 10:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
If they think GS sales are low now, wait until they see how low they are if they do that, it will make the hybrid version nobody bought look like huge success.
Lexus has to change something and going EV for the GS (which may be dead car walking) may be a good way to introduce an EV. There is a pretty decent market for EVs and growing. The Model 3 with an average ASP of ~$50k sold more units in 2019 than the GS has ever sold cumulatively. Lexus should explore these growing markets and not just cater to the markets that are ageing out or stale.
Old 03-24-20, 10:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I just hope they update the tech, base rental cars have more tech than many new 2020 Lexus models.

Quick Reply: Lexus Working on a Host of Changes Across Its Lineup