Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota and Lexus Timeline Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 02:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont know what will next gen GX be, because GX is only popular in the USA and nowehere else.
Unlike LC that sells great in many different countries.

So GX can actually change a lot to attract new audience, while LX would be better version of LX to keep old and attract new.
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the GX sold in China, and was quite popular until stringent emission standards caused it be pulled out of market?

The prado while similar in essentials, built on the same line, is still different in terms of packaging. The GX will move for sure in terms of where it currently slots into the market. The RX and RX-L currently overlap the base and premium end of the GX. If the next gen is to not to cannibalize their own sales, they would shift it up
Old 03-25-20, 04:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
very popular with the over land community and very high satisfaction rates. Hope they keep it body on frame. I also hope it does not change too too much.
I don’t mind body on frame and actually liked both of my old GX’s including the way they drove. I would just like an updated interior, exterior, infotainment, etc. I get tired of the same ol same ol. These refreshes over the last few years really did nothing for me.
Old 03-25-20, 09:50 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Isn't the GX the Land Cruiser Prado in other markets?
Thats what I thought, and it has a pretty stout reputation for those who need to go really far off-road. Based on this I would assume that they sell well in many less developed countries.
Old 03-25-20, 10:35 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

This report from All Car News is taken way out of context from Motor1, thus inaccurate and misleading. I will say it again there is no Next Generation GS and I am annoyed at how what I reported on the GS vs Mirai to a chosen entity, being taken out of context by all these idiots.

News media continuously engage in a circle jerk of misinformation and people eat it up way too readily. I hate nothing more than seeing my own text regurgitated in a totally different context back to me.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-25-20 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 01:28 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It's ridiculous that we're talking about a Motor 1 article posted a month ago with fragments that have already been disproven (i.e. there will be no new IS for 2021, only a refresh), but now Jalopnik is regurgitating them too for whatever reason. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 03-26-20, 09:54 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
This report from All Car News is taken way out of context from Motor1, thus inaccurate and misleading. I will say it again there is no Next Generation GS and I am annoyed at how what I reported on the GS vs Mirai to a chosen entity, being taken out of context by all these idiots.

News media continuously engage in a circle jerk of misinformation and people eat it up way too readily. I hate nothing more than seeing my own text regurgitated in a totally different context back to me.
When will the production of the GS end?
Old 03-26-20, 04:14 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

What market are these slides for?

eg. Lexus discontinued the HS in 2012 for American market but still sells it in Japan as of today.

Likewise the Lexus GS is still selling like hot cakes in Japan, even the GS450h
Old 03-26-20, 04:19 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lurker9
When will the production of the GS end?
June and August. I will believe when I see it though. Infiniti Q70 quietly went out of production last year.
Old 03-26-20, 05:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
What market are these slides for?

eg. Lexus discontinued the HS in 2012 for American market but still sells it in Japan as of today.

Likewise the Lexus GS is still selling like hot cakes in Japan, even the GS450h
GS will be a version of the new Mirai, so they say. CT is still sold too, in UK. Had no idea HS is still around

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-27-20 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-26-20, 06:21 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

It's very clear some people favor trolling, in a passive aggressive effort to constantly be a contrarian and incite discord.

There is no new GS coming and I look forward to being proven right. The 2021 Mirai was the 2020 GS program, before being cancelled and repurposed as a fuel cell. Nothing in the cards for a midsize fuel cell Lexus sedan to replace it either.

ToyoLexus is just getting their money back via extending L10 production beyond 2019, making up for lost projected volume and revenue. Hopefully they'll break even.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-27-20 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-26-20, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
It's very clear some people favor trolling, in a passive aggressive effort to constantly be a contrarian and insight discord.

There is no new GS coming and I look forward to being proven right. The 2021 Mirai was the 2020 GS program, before being cancelled and repurposed as a fuel cell. Nothing in the cards for a midsize fuel cell Lexus sedan to replace it either.

Lexus is just getting their money back from extending L10 production beyond 2019, making up for lost projected volume and revenue. Hopefully they'll break even.
I dunno. Toyota could slap a nicer interior and make some changes to the front and call it a GS. It makes no logical sense for there to be no Lexus version.

Source

the GS is being discontinued and will make way for a ‘Lexus version of a RWD Mirai sedan‘, it says.

This means that the GS will go the fuel-cell electric vehicles route, and as with the latest Crown it is based on, will be underpinned by the premium rear-wheel-drive version of the TNGA platform.
Source

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-26-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 11:56 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

All these magical sources except for one of them cribbed that information with no direct context on what the information refers to, because they were never contacted with such info. Only one guy was and every other site has twisted it to fit what they think it says.

I only can look forward to if and when another source make their own public statements in regards to this and either refute or support it.

A good percentage of the information I provided Motor1 that partly came from TX and ATL contacts and firsthand info, were already taken out of context in terms of dates, Motor1's only sin.

Only this Instagram page is guilty of going further and making up that a Mirai-based GS is coming, getting dates wrong, and everyone else has copied them blindly, without being certain.

The All Car News page has deliberately twisted my words out of willful obtuseness or in order to feed into whatever narrative they want to sell and grab clicks. I never attended any dealer meeting and yet they loosely made that claim, to sell such a story. What a crock! Making assumptions about how and where this came from, which they do not know. Next they'll say it was Akio Toyoda himself who called them up and spilled.

And to even correct Motor1 on what I told them, only Toyota dealers were shown the 2021 Mirai originally and actual attendees made the comments, on why wasn't this RWD car a Lexus? They were given an answer of aborted GS = Mirai, disclosed by a former member here. Lexus dealers were never told about this vehicle, yet Motor1 and others wrongly claim that out of context.

I am naturally upset because I had thought despite what I had learned, the tide had recently turned only and good news was coming, only to find out it comes from the information I provided myself and got taken out of context.

I hate being an original source for my news feed, as it isn't new info to me is it? Just old info parroted back, but new to others.

It doesn't make me any happier to see nothing will come of a replacement for that model, but I am very pissed other dumb media got so many hopes up and deceitfully used my anonymously written 2 cents to do it.

I have been a source to Motor1 on different types of news and they trusted to post what I provided them privately, even with some mistakes they made themselves in regards to correct context. Others are taking that text and liberally rewording it to have "fictitious special scoop".

I have made my point on this so I have said enough. This is more than clear. You will know when a new story related to anything Lexus or Toyota comes up and if it differs enough, you can trust its credibility more versus being a copy paste.
Old 03-27-20, 12:43 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its sad, almost all car channels outlets picked up these stores as clickbait after Jalopnik ran the story.
Alex on Autos
TFL

Old 03-27-20, 01:04 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Its sad, almost all car channels outlets picked up these stores as clickbait after Jalopnik ran the story.
Alex on Autos
TFL
Just as you said, quite sad and I'm doing damage control. They should put a disclaimer. I can understand trusting Motor1 or people who somewhat do this professionally, but trusting some random Instagram page is just not a good idea lol.

It sucks more than anything to see that what you're reading as "great news" is somewhat what you said yourself and being said in the wrongest way. Because what will happen is people will read that and the ones smart/aware enough (like a number of people here), will call it 100% BS and say the person who provided it is an idiot.

They just won't know that it's been twisted around in some ways. Funny enough I never called myself a Toyota insider to them, just that I had some information and they're very quick to call me a Toyota insider, which is not comforting in the face of being credible.

I'm not sippng sake with Akio Toyoda and Koji Sato, like some of these reports essentially imply in the most puzzling senses.
Old 03-27-20, 03:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Traditionally, Lexus GS was based on Toyota Crowns.

My commonsense finds it hard to believe that a future GS would be based on a 2nd gen Toyota Mirai HFCEV because so little hydrogen infrastructure around.

My commonsense tells me that TMC is secretly developing a full blown EV powered midsize GS based on e-TNGA platform, but TMC never make this type of information public.

Quick Reply: Toyota and Lexus Timeline Leak