Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota and Lexus Timeline Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 04:28 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Traditionally, Lexus GS was based on Toyota Crowns.

My commonsense finds it hard to believe that a future GS would be based on a 2nd gen Toyota Mirai HFCEV because so little hydrogen infrastructure around.

My commonsense tells me that TMC is secretly developing a full blown EV powered midsize GS based on e-TNGA platform, but TMC never make this type of information public.
That's a fair perspective to have, as opinions and wishes we're are entitled to. Lexus people know they are not doing anything like that in the E segment...for now and it's not as if any of you would know about the Mirai - GS connection, if it hadn't been mentioned.

All of what has been mentioned was pretty much secret anyway, outside of this new BS twisting it around.

My biggest issue I have with the report is how All Car News didn't say "I think that this will happen, because I hope so and we'll see if it does." They instead copy pasted and misconstrued a lot of text from somewhere else, claiming it was correct because an insider said so for them and confirmed their reporting.

No one did that, because almost word for word (with mistakes) it matches another report.

Anyone is welcome to speculate on their own but don't use someone else's information to twist around and validate your own theories/misconceptions.

I wouldn't say that's plagiarism but riding a wave to provide silly clickbait of your own. Thankfully a few people can see right through it all and know that Toyota can do anything quietly down the road, if they choose to. Doesn't mean this story had any weight, as it's not based on anything reported nor heard behind the scenes. Only LS, IS, and ES to a lesser degree, see major attention. Nothing midsize outside of ES.
Old 03-27-20, 05:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Alex is praying his source is right (Was on our Apple TV tonight)
Old 03-27-20, 06:16 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

It will be sad to see the GS go away. I figured there wasn’t an actual replacement. Every time I talked with guys from corporate, nobody knew anything about the future of the GS. It was really sad to see the Lexus treat the GS the way it does.
Old 03-27-20, 06:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
That's a fair perspective to have, as opinions and wishes we're are entitled to. Lexus people know they are not doing anything like that in the E segment...for now and it's not as if any of you would know about the Mirai - GS connection, if it hadn't been mentioned.
So Lexus is NOT "fully" electrifying their range by 2025?
I thought they would fully electrify their range by 2025?
Or by electrifying, they mean that they are only hybridizing/plug-in/hydrogenating their range by 2025?

Just off the top of my head, I find it hard to see how TMC would not have a luxury midsize sedan with RWD & front double wishbone suspension?
That's why I think TMC is developing such a model - but secretly.

Didn't the 300B 5GS get cancelled late 2016 - at the same time when Akio decided to establish and head an all new electric division?
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...-division.html

I though e-TNGA was coming with a modular compact & midsize sedans plus tall wagons, with a modular choice of drivetrains like HEV/PHEV/HFCEV/BEV, and a modular choice of drivelines in FWD/RWD/4WD illustrated below?

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-28-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 01:34 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

"2021:
Next year will be a busy one. ...
On the Toyota side, and as TFL has reported, the all-new Tundra that's first to sit on the TNGA-F truck platform will show in December 2021 as a 2022MY pickup."

I don't see December 2021 as 2021. It's 16 months away and essentially 2022! After making us wait 12 years, the new design better be extraordinary, otherwise, I might have to buy a Ford! Please don't do that to me Toyota.
Old 03-28-20, 02:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I was going through my old laptop the other day and pulled up a pic of my modded 2nd gen GS from around 2003 or so at a Lexus meet! Brought back so many great memories - really loved the GS as i got another one new in 2005.

Very sorry for what Lexus has become while its competition like Eclass and 5series are still going strong.....
Old 03-28-20, 05:36 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I was going through my old laptop the other day and pulled up a pic of my modded 2nd gen GS from around 2003 or so at a Lexus meet! Brought back so many great memories - really loved the GS as i got another one new in 2005.

Very sorry for what Lexus has become while its competition like Eclass and 5series are still going strong.....
post a pic of the 2Gen!
Old 03-29-20, 12:26 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by peteharvey
So Lexus is NOT "fully" electrifying their range by 2025?
I thought they would fully electrify their range by 2025?
Or by electrifying, they mean that they are only hybridizing/plug-in/hydrogenating their range by 2025?

Just off the top of my head, I find it hard to see how TMC would not have a luxury midsize sedan with RWD & front double wishbone suspension?
That's why I think TMC is developing such a model - but secretly.

Didn't the 300B 5GS get cancelled late 2016 - at the same time when Akio decided to establish and head an all new electric division?
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...-division.html

I though e-TNGA was coming with a modular compact & midsize sedans plus tall wagons, with a modular choice of drivetrains like HEV/PHEV/HFCEV/BEV, and a modular choice of drivelines in FWD/RWD/4WD illustrated below?

Hey, E segment refers to E-Class, G80, 5er, and etc. Not EV. I believe ES is maybe premium D segment. A lot of people don't want to listen to me because of whatever reason, but it's the truth sadly.

Everyone commenting on this supposed rumor (incl Alex) about a Mirai based Lexus, got it from the wrong person. It's the complete reverse, with no lasting duality.

There will be a fuel-cell Lexus, possibly, because one was being developed for the LS midcycle, but cancelled in 2018 or early 2019, like GS was in 2016.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-29-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-29-20, 03:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Hey, E segment refers to E-Class, G80, 5er, and etc. Not EV. I believe ES is maybe premium D segment. A lot of people don't want to listen to me because of whatever reason, but it's the truth sadly.

Everyone commenting on this supposed rumor (incl Alex) about a Mirai based Lexus, got it from the wrong person. It's the complete reverse, with no lasting duality.

There will be a fuel-cell Lexus, possibly, because one was being developed for the LS midcycle, but cancelled in 2018 or early 2019, like GS was in 2016.
Pretty sure they target E segment with ES, whatever someone thinks of that. It is definitely not A4 or Passat competitor, and is certainly an A6 competitor.

Regardless, someone asked - electrification means anything, including 48v hybrids (TMC thinks of it as hybrids+), and also yeah they have been talking about e-TNGA and everything it means, but you wont see VW type of EV's, yet anyway.
Old 03-29-20, 03:19 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
Pretty sure they target E segment with ES, whatever someone thinks of that. It is definitely not A4 or Passat competitor, and is certainly an A6 competitor.
ES is not a very convincing E segment product, but can improve.