Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-up: My Late Mother's 1994 Corolla Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I remember the 1997 Camry coming out, I rented those too, and I felt hmmm I really liked the look of the 1996 better, it actually reminded me of a LS400. The 97 seemed like a box. And then, for kicks, I tried to buy a 5 speed. People were purchasing them off of allocation lists, 0-2 in stock at dealers. So I balked at list price? The salesperson said, "John, you seem like a nice kid. So let me tell you why I am not offering any discount on this car. One, I don't have a car to sell you, you're buying off of an allocation list. Two, I don't have to discount it."
Your salesperson was not entirely lying. At the time, the Camry, Accord, and (until its controversial mid-90s redesign) the Ford Taurus, completely dominated sedan-sales in the U.S. SUVs, particularly the Explorer, Grand Cherokee, and TrailBlazer, were rapidly increasing in popularity but still had not overtaken sedans.

If you closely compared the superb '92-96 Camry with the newly-redesigned '97 (and I noticed it in the first 60 seconds I looked at it), you could see signs of significant cost-cutting in the new '97....thinner sheet metal/glass, lighter-weight materials inside, less padding on the seats, a more tinny sound to the door-closings, and just a generally lighter, less robust feel in general. Still a good car, mind you (nothing really wrong with it), just not quite as outstanding as the Camry it replaced...and, for 1997, the useful wagon body style was dropped in the American market. The '92-96 Camry wagon, if you remember, though awkward-looking, was unusual in that it had two wipers for the rear window.....how often do you see that?

Old 03-27-20, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swfla
Mom and car stories, we all have them.
Yep.....none of us would be around if if wasn't for our Moms.

In the mid sixties, my mom finally got a car with air conditioning "for the groceries" she kept chanting. LI, NY summers were warm for 12 weeks but it was only a 20 minute drive to A&P and she still kept a cheap plastic cooler in the trunk! It was a huge Buick LeSabre with crank windows and lots of room for a family of four.
That must have been one from a while ago. The LeSabre (or any other Buick in the American market) has not had crank-windows for quite some time.

She kept it for 10 years, about 50k miles at which point it went to my sister who had turned 16. Lots of room in the back seat to watch submarine races at the beach! It stayed in nice condition and was dependable. Around the same time dad bought a used lincoln continental with suicide doors. That was our holiday family trip car for one season as it developed electrical problems that caused him to trade it in for a new car. It was impressive to me as a child with lots of chrome, buttons and switches.
Lincoln, recently, did a limited-production run of its latest Continental with suicide-doors...price was off the charts, at more than 100K....probably more than that with dealer mark-ups.

Although modern door-monitoring electronics today prevent it, the original suicide-door Lincolns went out of favor in the 1970s for obvious reasons...with increasing emphasis on safety in that period, the company didn't want kids in the back seat popping them open at speed and having the wind tear them off or causing serious damage to the rear fenders.
Old 03-27-20, 01:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's a close-up: The only significant thing missing, as I remember, was a tach, but in a non-performance car like this, with an automatic, a tach is not that important. Also typical of the period was the no-nonsense 10-20-30-40 increments on the speedometer that made it easier to read at a glance......not the later 20-40-60-80 stuff.

Notice how easy the clock-buttons can be reached (just to the right of the center dash-vents). You're correct.....the complexity of today's video-menus is simply absurd.

People today complain with digital tachometers where the needle goes counterclockwise; as you note, this car doesn't even have a tach. Superfluous with the auto transmission--regardless of whether are car is "performance" oriented or not.

But this IP design is kinda embarrassing because it so blatantly is missing something.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-27-20 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 04:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice story Mike, RIP to your Mom, sounds like she a sweet person.
Old 03-27-20, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
People today complain with digital tachometers where the needle goes counterclockwise; as you note, this car doesn't even have a tach.
The counter-clockwise tachs on some of today's vehicles are a sop to heavy sport-orientation...that feature comes from racing.

If my memory is correct, the top-level Corollas hd tachks back then. The wagon doesn't because it was only offered in the lower-range DX trim-level.

Superfluous with the auto transmission--regardless of whether are car is "performance" oriented or not.
Depends in the driver and driving-style...but, granted, relatively few people today outside of some teens/young adults and/or those trying to show off exceed 4000 RPM, even downshifting on hills.

But this IP design is kinda embarrassing because it so blatantly is missing something.
Yes, it sure is missing something.......needless complexity.
Old 03-27-20, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice story Mike, RIP to your Mom, sounds like she a sweet person.
Thanks. Yes, she's probably watching me right now as I write this, so I better get her story correct.
Old 03-29-20, 08:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I like the simplicity of the interior.
Old 03-30-20, 12:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I like the simplicity of the interior.
Yes, there have been several comments about that. Shows that newer is not always better, although some of the interior trim is better in newer Corollas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-20 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 06:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

When my wife and I started dating, she had a 95 Corolla sedan. I did always like that generation's interior.

She had it for a good 10 years or so. We bought her an Acura TSX and sold the Corolla to a friend, who had it for about 2 weeks before a drunk driver plowed into it while it was parked in front of his apartment, and totaled it. Ugh.
Old 03-31-20, 12:04 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Why did you let the dealer re-sell this for you? Couldn't you and your brother have profited by selling it yourselves?

My son was in the market for a Toyota wagon recently and I was surprised how few were for sale on the used car market. It was definitely a trip down memory lane checking out what was available on Craigslist. He ended-up going with the more modern version of the wagon...the Matrix, which is also a Corolla. He got a 2006 from a dealer with only 45K miles, with all the maintenance records! It always perplexes me to see or hear of people trading-in or selling these cream-puffs to dealers when it so easy to sell them "by owner." They sell themselves!
Old 03-31-20, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Why did you let the dealer re-sell this for you? Couldn't you and your brother have profited by selling it yourselves?
Two reasons. First, the dealership wanted it back, and offered me somewhat more than it was worth KBB, since it was fairly low mileage, and knowing that I had taken care of it. Second, with a full-time job, long-commutes, my own house to take care of, and the (many) duties and paperwork I had to contend with as the executor of my late Mom's estate, both me and my brother (who also had full-time job and a house to take care of.....he got my Mom's house) simply didn't have the time to bother with the usual process and hassle of a private-party sale. My late Mom had also been a Notary-Public, which made a private-party sale easier, but, when she passed, of course, that power also went with her....it would have been illegal for me, even as her executor, to use her official NP state-stamp on documents.

My son was in the market for a Toyota wagon recently and I was surprised how few were for sale on the used car market. It was definitely a trip down memory lane checking out what was available on Craigslist.
Yes, both the Corolla and Camry wagons were both dropped later in the 1990s. Their sales dropped off drastically with the advent of crossover vehicles like the RAV-4, Highlander, and Venza.

Had my late Mom lived, she would probably have been driving a crossover today, though she would have been well up in her 90s.....probably too old to drive, period.

He ended-up going with the more modern version of the wagon...the Matrix, which is also a Corolla. He got a 2006 from a dealer with only 45K miles, with all the maintenance records! It always perplexes me to see or hear of people trading-in or selling these cream-puffs to dealers when it so easy to sell them "by owner." They sell themselves!
Although a lot fewer of them were built, the same (rebadged) vehicle, which had Pontiac trim and logos instead of Toyota, and some slightly different styling touches, was available, FWD or AWD, as the Pontiac Vibe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-20 at 12:21 PM.