Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts about new Lexus LM

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 12:29 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts
Default Thoughts about new Lexus LM

Hello,

I was just browsing around when I stumbled across a newly announced Lexus LM... A Lexus minivan....... With a total of 4 seats........ Never in my life I thought will live up to the moment when Lexus will release a darn minivan.. Pre-order is available right now in China.

Lexus LM is based on a Toyota Alphard, a luxurious, mid-sized minivan, which is very popular in Japan and in Middle East, Russia, China, etc. Just as basically any other Lexus, it will inherit all the basics, like the drivetrain and some suspension parts. The main difference will lie in the interior of that beast - for starters, it is the only passenger minivan that I am aware of that has a total of 4 seats, and I do mean it, that is including front and the back... It is also the only minivan that I am aware of that will require a personal driver to fully enjoy.

Outside the USA, luxury minivans are not that rare, since designers can cramp much more features in a relatively small package, which is kind of important when we are talking about countries like Japan, where something like a Maybach will get stuck at the first intersection. But this time, Lexus took it to a whole new level - a Rolls-Royce kind of level, stretching the definition of any other minivan made before for quite a bit. Starting with the exterior design, there is a lot of .. grille... This hypnotizing grille makes new BMW 7-Series nervously smoke aside, I can only imagine how is it going to look in the rear-view mirror at night. Besides that, it is just a really boxy, and equally bendy-shaped box, which frankly didn't really go far from the Alphard. In any way, it is one of those cars that you can stare dead straight on for hours and still find something new about its look. I am still in debate of whether it is a masterpiece or is it a new LS500 after it got crushed in a press.. It certainly looks interesting, and will certainly grab some attention from the onlookers around.. That is actually something that I really miss about some older luxury cars, like my beloved Toyota Crown Royal Saloon, or a Mercedes-Benz S-Class - they never screamed MONEY HERE, or I AM BETTER THAN YOU, their design was always as settled as it was gorgeous.. But that is a whole new discussion for another day..

Moving on to the interior - it is certainly something that needs to be seen in person to appreciate all its ... features.. The front row is pretty much the same as the standard Alphard, just a sleek-looking, simple design. But it is not the main selling point of that car, all the real fun starts in the rear: they reconfigured the whole cabin to accommodate only two bucket seats; Lexus refers to it as an "opulent four-seat configuration". Looking more in-depth, rear seats have a special foam to enhance the comfort, as well as all the adjustments imaginable, including heating, cooling, and a retractable leg rest for a full-on resting position. It will also have a wide variety of options that will suit any stage of mind corruption, like a huge 26-inch screen with Mark Levinson audio, glass privacy partition, retro-styled analog clock right smack-dab in the middle of the interior, even a Rolls-Royce style umbrella. And if that is not enough for you, it also has a fridge compartment, which sole purpose is to store your favorite champagne with a couple of glasses, and it does seem like I've already seen it somewhere.. As a bonus, Lexus is also planning on releasing a 6-seater version of the LM, but it will not be nearly as interesting.. The only drawback that I can see is a lack of any kind of table surface, like it is in a Range Rover Long Edition.

To top it all off, let's talk about available drivertain options - right now, Lexus showed only 2.5L I4 2AR-FXE hybrid version of the LM, but they are also promising a 3.5L V6 2GR-FKS (?) engine and an optional All-Wheel Drive system. Besides, it will feature a little bit different rear suspension as opposed to the Alphard, specifically the swing-valve shock absorbers. Other than that, it will not be much different from the Alphard that I mentioned above.

It all sounds very tempting, and probably got some of you got obsessively interested in it, however, there are a couple of small drawbacks with that minivan - first of which is its cost, that is a rather earth-shattering 170.000 US dollars (!!!). Yes, there are 6 digits in that value, I counted. It does cost more than a fully packed Range Rover SV Autobiography, and I wasn't really able to figure out the reason for such an extensive check... With that, it is not the biggest problem for the US buyer, since, at least for right now, it is not going to be sold in the USA, which is a bit of a disappointment..

In the conclusion, I can really see some issues with it that can potentially kill that idea at the very root. A really big part of the luxury car that costs more than it frankly should is its image, its status: you can't just go tell someone that you bought a 170-grand minivan that has only four seats and no cargo space, I am fairly sure it will rise some question about your sanity, especially if considered that almost the same van with that same engrossing grille, 2-times amount of seats and some cargo room to spare can be obtained for a third of the price.. And even if your sanity and reputation are already beyond salvation, I still can't see a ton of sense in it, since times when people had to travel some insane distances by car are long-gone, if you need to get somewhere, you sit on the plane, which is equally as comfortable, and infinitely faster than the car. And it cannot be used as a moving cabinet, since it doesn't have any kind of table, or a place to store papers, or the smooth ride that is needed to do anything.. All that unwittingly raises the question - what is the point of that car? I can really see its existence if Lexus will add more seats, some cargo room, and significantly drop the price, but such car already exists, and it did prove its worthiness 18 years ago..

What are your thoughts about that new Lexus? I am really curious..

Last edited by Arsenii; 03-29-20 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-29-20, 02:23 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

i'm happy to see this... when the most current version of the LX came out something told me they had an even bigger and more obnoxious grille in the works, and here you go!

now a lexus version of the HiAce, that's something to look forward to
Old 03-29-20, 08:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 430 Likes on 354 Posts

I think it’s awesome!
Old 03-29-20, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Such a bargain at $170K.
Old 03-29-20, 10:13 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Hopefully that's 170K Chinese Yuan and not USD!
Old 03-29-20, 10:26 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ Hopefully that's 170K Chinese Yuan and not USD!
The price is in USD ........... A great bargain indeed..

It actually reminds me of Apple a bit - let's just remove all the functionality and charge more for it.. And what is interesting, people will still go for it, since it has a Lexus badge on it..
Old 03-30-20, 06:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Here are a couple of past threads that we have had on this subject:

Lexus Minivan Assembly Starts In 2020, Japanese Paper Claims

It finally happened. the Lexus van is a thing..

Old 03-30-20, 04:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Such a bargain at $170K.
customs and taxes aside, it is considerably more expensive than Lexus LS in China.
Old 03-30-20, 04:45 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m sure it’s very nice and super comfy. But why does it have to look supremely ugly?
Old 03-30-20, 05:14 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Love it! Bring the LM 350 (2GR-FKS) and LM 300h (2AR-FXE) or (A25A-FXS) to North America!

Last edited by Trexus; 04-01-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
I’m sure it’s very nice and super comfy. But why does it have to look supremely ugly?
i agree. The absurd height, bulldog front look awful. Combine that with weak engines it sure isn't worth $100K let alone $170K!
Old 03-31-20, 11:50 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

It's hideous looking...the designer should be fired immediately! How did it get past the sketching phase?
Old 03-31-20, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The rear screen displaying 'Lexus' should be larger. So much silver bezel
Old 03-31-20, 01:30 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The rear screen displaying 'Lexus' should be larger. So much silver bezel
The aspect ratio will be lost then

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Because otherwise you would not have looked at it
Old 03-31-20, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
The aspect ratio will be lost then
Maybe they should have just gone with a fish tank then lol

Quick Reply: Thoughts about new Lexus LM