Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Deferred lease payments with Lexus Financial

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 07:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I fail to see how 2 months of deferred payments is a "great deal". All they are doing is extending the length of the policy. At some point, they will no longer provide deferred payments and I will have to make a choice if I should pay for something I don't use or have them repossess the vehicle, I'm leaning towards the latter.

That being said I'm curious to find out if they will actually follow standard procedures and collect the vehicle. Considering that about 30 million Americans are unemployed most of which are unable to pay for their car note, where would they place all of those vehicles.
It is not a great deal what Lexus is doing for you. They just don’t want you to default. I think the lesson learned is that there pitfalls to leasing...and this is one of them. The right thing to do is to pay off the lease and move on...but the sucky thing about leasing is that you have to pay rent for something you can’t use and it’s something you don’t even own. I don’t know what the consequences of not paying, but you can call Lexus and turn it in. I don’t know what happens at that point.
Old 04-24-20, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
I fail to see how 2 months of deferred payments is a "great deal". All they are doing is extending the length of the policy. At some point, they will no longer provide deferred payments and I will have to make a choice if I should pay for something I don't use or have them repossess the vehicle, I'm leaning towards the latter.

That being said I'm curious to find out if they will actually follow standard procedures and collect the vehicle. Considering that about 30 million Americans are unemployed most of which are unable to pay for their car note, where would they place all of those vehicles.
What do you expect them to do? You signed a contract, and you're asking them to amend that contract, and they're offering to do this. You can't expect them to just waive those payments, doing that across their whole company would be very detrimental to them financially.

Personally, I think giving you a two month pause on your lease payments is indeed a good deal. You deciding you no longer need the car is not their problem, its your problem. Trade it in and take the hit and move on.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is not a great deal what Lexus is doing for you. They just don’t want you to default. I think the lesson learned is that there pitfalls to leasing...and this is one of them. The right thing to do is to pay off the lease and move on...but the sucky thing about leasing is that you have to pay rent for something you can’t use and it’s something you don’t even own. I don’t know what the consequences of not paying, but you can call Lexus and turn it in. I don’t know what happens at that point.
This is not a "pitfall of leasing", its the same thing when you own, the car depreciates for the months you don't use it. In fact, an owned car has depreciated more because of the drop in car values as a whole, whereas with a lease thats not your problem since the residual is set.

Its like leasing an apartment and then being in the hospital for 2 months. Do you not have to make your rent payments? Of course you do, but you weren't using the apartment. Doesn't matter.

The consequences of not paying the lease payments are obvious. It will rightly ruin your credit and the car may be repossessed. You will then have a judgement for their financial losses on your record too.

Bottom line is, pay your obligations. In cases like this companies are really trying to help people and this is an example of that.
Old 04-24-20, 08:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What do you expect them to do? You signed a contract, and you're asking them to amend that contract, and they're offering to do this. You can't expect them to just waive those payments, doing that across their whole company would be very detrimental to them financially.

Personally, I think giving you a two month pause on your lease payments is indeed a good deal. You deciding you no longer need the car is not their problem, its your problem. Trade it in and take the hit and move on.

This is not a "pitfall of leasing", its the same thing when you own, the car depreciates for the months you don't use it. In fact, an owned car has depreciated more because of the drop in car values as a whole, whereas with a lease thats not your problem since the residual is set.

Its like leasing an apartment and then being in the hospital for 2 months. Do you not have to make your rent payments? Of course you do, but you weren't using the apartment. Doesn't matter.

The consequences of not paying the lease payments are obvious. It will rightly ruin your credit and the car may be repossessed. You will then have a judgement for their financial losses on your record too.

Bottom line is, pay your obligations. In cases like this companies are really trying to help people and this is an example of that.
I disagree. It’s a pitfall of leasing. I don’t lease/rent an apartment, I own. No payments, and can do whatever I want. Bottom line, if someone was in the hospital, they don’t have to worry about the two months of payments cuz there are none . If this person were financing, they would be at the minimum be paying into something they own or will eventually own.

The depreciation argument of someone not using a paid off car is very poor.
Old 04-24-20, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree. It’s a pitfall of leasing. I don’t lease/rent an apartment, I own. No payments, and can do whatever I want. Bottom line, if someone was in the hospital, they don’t have to worry about the two months of payments cuz there are none . If this person were financing, they would be at the minimum be paying into something they own or will eventually own.

The depreciation argument of someone not using and paid off car is very poor.
Its all just a mental thing. As we've established you have a mental hangup about leasing and its not for you, thats fine. For me, it doesn't bother me at all that I'm still making lease payments but driving much less (my wife hasn't driven any car in a month for example while I've been alternating driving both cars). If it were a long term situation where going forward our driving habits were to change permanently we would take that into account when it comes time to replace the vehicles we have. And, you can always trade in a leased vehicle you just take a financial hit when you do that.

If my Lexus was worth $90,000 new and is worth $30,000 after 4 years, then it depreciated $60,000 in 48 months. So it goes down in value $1,250 a month. If I don't drive it, it still goes down in value $1,250 month. My lease payment is $1,200 a month. Its the same thing.

As for there being no payments on your home, you still pay taxes, utilities, insurance. I'm not arguing about the value of owning a home vs renting a home, real estate goes up in value though. Leasing a depreciating asset like a car works great for me. You like to keep old cars and have an aversion to debt. That works for you.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-24-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-24-20, 01:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

The depreciation argument of someone not using a paid off car is very poor.
I was wondering when someone would say something about leasing vs. buying/financing. There is no difference, both are loans with interest and if you don't have money to pay a monthly lease, you probably don't have money to pay a monthly loan payment if you financed it. You can't make a blanket statement that this is a pitfall of leasing. I like leasing and can't wait to get a new car after year two so in my case, owning a car/financing a car is a pitfall because I have to deal with trading it in or selling it outright. Either way, if you can't afford your lease payment you can't afford your loan payment.
Old 04-25-20, 08:37 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I was wondering when someone would say something about leasing vs. buying/financing. There is no difference, both are loans with interest and if you don't have money to pay a monthly lease, you probably don't have money to pay a monthly loan payment if you financed it. You can't make a blanket statement that this is a pitfall of leasing. I like leasing and can't wait to get a new car after year two so in my case, owning a car/financing a car is a pitfall because I have to deal with trading it in or selling it outright. Either way, if you can't afford your lease payment you can't afford your loan payment.
Exactly. With a lease you are committing to only pay for the difference in the negotiated price (Capital Cost) of the vehicle and the stated Residual Value, and paying for it over the term of the lease. If you purchase a vehicle you are committing to pay for the entire negotiated purchase price of the vehicle either on the front end if you have the cash, or over a certain period of time if you finance.
Old 04-25-20, 09:19 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Unless the vehicle is paid off, the buy argument is not applicable. If your are leasing and your term is not up or if you purchase and the loan is not paid off, you still need to make whole sooner or later. I am no longer using the vehicle is not an excuse. A contract is a contract​​​​​, whether leasing or buying or a mortgage. Time to pay the piper.

If someone wants a brand new vehicle every two years, leasing makes the most sense. If no payment is your goal, then buy the vehicle and keep it until the wheels fall off. Different strokes for different folks. Do what makes sense in your situation. I am not preaching to anyone, I assume people have common sense and do what’s best for them.
Old 04-25-20, 09:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And again, all of these companies are trying their best to provide what relief they can without totally destroying themselves.
Old 04-25-20, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
The context of pitfall is that the OP is stuck paying for something he or she does not own during the context of a pandemic. If the OP was financing, he/she would be at the very least be paying into something he will eventually own. Leasing, financing, or buying a car is always a pitfall, because it a money losing game....but I 100% see you point of view and thoughts on the matter.
Old 04-25-20, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The context of pitfall is that the OP is stuck paying for something he or she does not own during the context of a pandemic. If the OP was financing, he/she would be at the very least be paying into something he will eventually own. Leasing, financing, or buying a car is always a pitfall, because it a money losing game....but I 100% see you point of view and thoughts on the matter.
And? You're assuming his plan was ever to own it outright. Your worldview is that you want to own things like a car. I personally do not have that desire. It doesn't matter to me at all whether I "own" the car or not. People who lease share my view of it, or they shouldn't be leasing in the first place.

I haven't "owned a car" in 9 years, and thats just fine with me. So, it doesn't matter to me that I'm paying lease payments for cars I'm not driving right now. Nor would my feelings be any different if I were making finance payment because I would trade the car before the loan was ever paid off anyways.
Old 04-25-20, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And? You're assuming his plan was ever to own it outright. Your worldview is that you want to own things like a car. I personally do not have that desire. It doesn't matter to me at all whether I "own" the car or not. People who lease share my view of it, or they shouldn't be leasing in the first place.

I haven't "owned a car" in 9 years, and thats just fine with me. So, it doesn't matter to me that I'm paying lease payments for cars I'm not driving right now. Nor would my feelings be any different if I were making finance payment because I would trade the car before the loan was ever paid off anyways.
Relax. The OP says he fails to see how a few months deferral is a good deal for a lease. I called it a pitfall to his situation in the context of this pandemic. Would be interesting to see what he/she has to say if he was financing.
Old 04-25-20, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The OP seems to be suffering from a little bit of entitlement syndrome.
Old 04-25-20, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The OP seems to be suffering from a little bit of entitlement syndrome.
What is that supposed to mean?
Old 04-25-20, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What is that supposed to mean?
Meaning he seems to expect that his problems are Lexus Financial's problems. "I don't see much point in paying for a car that I wont be driving", well, he agreed to pay for a car for a set term. Changes in his circumstances are HIS problem.

The two month forbearance is more than LFS has to do, they have to do nothing.
Old 04-25-20, 10:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes--global pandemics are definitely one of the pitfalls of leasing. People should have thought about that 3 years ago before signing those leases.

Quick Reply: Deferred lease payments with Lexus Financial