Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good solid Lexus cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 03:50 AM
NewLexGuy
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Imo the cheapest lexus car to maintain that are reliable and not complicated to do DIY after year 2000 imo would be the 2007-2011 GS350. The engines and trans are bulletproof except the water pump that takes 1.5 hours to replace every 100k miles. No timing belt to mess with and front end suspension parts are easy to change. Still looks modern and have back up cam, heated and ventilated seats.

After that model I would go with the 2004-2006 LS430. Suspension parts may be a bit pricey. But change it once and you'll get 130,000 miles before it needs to be changed again. Just get the model without air suspension or get one with it and change it to regular suspension. The only downside is timing belt every 100k and I believe the starter usually goes around 130k.

I know you mentioned newer cars are harder to diy but the 2011-2016 ES350 and 2012-2015 GS350 won't need any diy apart from the usual suspension wear and tear.

I didnt mention the IS since it's small which I dont think you want.
My uncle has a 2012 GS purchased brand new and swears that is the best car he has ever owned. 130k miles later, he won't ever sell or trade it, and has had zero issues.
Old 04-17-20, 10:20 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLexGuy
My uncle has a 2012 GS purchased brand new and swears that is the best car he has ever owned. 130k miles later, he won't ever sell or trade it, and has had zero issues.
that's just what I am looking for!
Old 04-18-20, 07:32 AM
Baby888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my first Lexus - RX330, 2005 - for 6 years with no issues other than basic maintenance. Great car, nice ride, very reliable. My current car is a 2014 ES300h, 2014 and my wife drives a 2014 CT200h, and they have both been great so far. One piece of advice - do not buy the first year after a major redesign of a model. We also have a 2007 ES350 and I pray God will hit that POS with lightning. Airbag problem, intermittent headlight problem, transmission shift problem when cold, and a dashboard that is currently dripping onto the carpet. We bought this one as a favor to a friend.
Old 04-18-20, 02:29 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Good point about the starter, thats a trouble point for the GS400 too
I didn't know about the starter location when I bought my 2001 V8 Tundra, but even if I did, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. Since then, I purchased a 2008 SC430, knowing about the dumb starter placement. On the up side, Toyota/Lexus must have engineered the V8 starters very well and designed the engines to start-up immediately upon turning the key, as I haven't had issues with either yet. When I do, I have the shop manuals and know how to do the work, so I'm not losing sleep over it. I've certainly heard of worse engineering/maintenance blunders by other manufactures, which are deal breakers!
Old 04-18-20, 02:40 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Baby888
One piece of advice - do not buy the first year after a major redesign of a model. We also have a 2007 ES350 and I pray God will hit that POS with lightning. Airbag problem, intermittent headlight problem, transmission shift problem when cold, and a dashboard that is currently dripping onto the carpet. We bought this one as a favor to a friend.
Agreed, not buying the first year after a redesign of any make/model is imperative! Sorry to hear you have had such a terrible experience with your ES. My wife's 2011 (same gen) has been extremely reliable, but I'm extremely conscientious with the preventive maintenance. Regardless, after reading your horror story, maybe it is time to start shopping around again?
Old 04-18-20, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I didn't know about the starter location when I bought my 2001 V8 Tundra, but even if I did, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. Since then, I purchased a 2008 SC430, knowing about the dumb starter placement. On the up side, Toyota/Lexus must have engineered the V8 starters very well and designed the engines to start-up immediately upon turning the key, as I haven't had issues with either yet. When I do, I have the shop manuals and know how to do the work, so I'm not losing sleep over it. I've certainly heard of worse engineering/maintenance blunders by other manufactures, which are deal breakers!
The starter was going bad on our LS400 and we drove it like that for the last year or so just because it was so expensive to replace. Had to fiddle with the key 4-5 times sometimes to get it to start
Old 04-18-20, 03:59 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The starter was going bad on our LS400 and we drove it like that for the last year or so just because it was so expensive to replace. Had to fiddle with the key 4-5 times sometimes to get it to start
How many miles did you have on your LS400 when the starter started to have problems? How much was your quote for repair? Dealer or indy?
Old 04-18-20, 04:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How many miles did you have on your LS400 when the starter started to have problems? How much was your quote for repair? Dealer or indy?
It was about 160,000 miles. It was like $1,200 at the indy, way more at the dealer.
Old 04-18-20, 06:27 PM
Baby888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, not buying the first year after a redesign of any make/model is imperative! Sorry to hear you have had such a terrible experience with your ES. My wife's 2011 (same gen) has been extremely reliable, but I'm extremely conscientious with the preventive maintenance. Regardless, after reading your horror story, maybe it is time to start shopping around again?
The 2011 should be fine. For the 2007, there was a design flaw with the transmission that allowed fluid to leak out of (or stay in) part of the transmission when it was cold. This made the transmission behave like it was in neutral the first time it shifted from 1st to 2nd. It was fixed in later models. The dashboard was a supplier problem. The airbag issue was a wiring harness with one wire too short. Headlights are a corroded ground connection that I have to clean again. A car is a complicated machine and a number of things get optimized after the first ones get built. I will get these resolved (except for the transmission) now that the weather is warming up and I have time on my hands. The dealership told me that even though the dashboard recall has expired, there is a good chance Lexus customer care will replace it since we are repeat customers.
Old 04-22-20, 04:05 AM
Old
Driver School Candidate

Wow I tryed to sell mine 1993 LS400 186000 miles good trans a/c works , engine runs. great faded paint gold and forget bottom color( flaking clear coat) cracked egr pipe and lcd gone in climate control. oh and bad power antenna NO rust AZ car for $3500 and no takers. I'll keep it. Love it I all so have a parts 1994 LS400 good motor,168000miles, bad tranz( may just be low on fluid) hit a deer front right hood and grill gone. I pulled dash components thinking I had a speedo problem in my 93 I was wrong. pulled drivers out side door handle and window switches for 93. make me an offer for the 94 I need it gone color is white with gray.
Old 04-24-20, 12:44 PM
RussL
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If price is not a big deal, then I would suggest skipping all the way to the 2013 LS460, then work your way up newer, until you find the sweet spot. Used is a great way to get the options you would have never been willing to pay for new....

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

With the LS430, mileage is not significant if it's a 200k car all day long and probably a 300k car. Those who own the 460 will have to say if that holds true as well. If so, 35k, 55k 75k, it really doesn't matter. the odds are slim of taking it to 300k, how many miles can a person even drive? Today nearly 0 per month.
I have an 04 430. 95% as new. maybe better. 90k miles. Looks like new, rides like a cloud. No payment and not looking for one. I've had it nearly 5 years. Do I care if it doesn't look the 20/21 models? Not the slightest. It's a great car! Did I mention no payment and looks new? Interior cannot be distinguished from new.... Even the headlights are clear as clear can be.

Here's what I've done. Regular maintenance stuff which you can have with any car - timing belt/water pump. (yes 100k is the recommendation OR 9 years). Some people forget the OR part of that. Brakes (with rust proof new rotors). Tires. Always change oil-filter regularly with full synthetic and replace air/cabin filters as needed. Change coolant...

Non maintenance - replaced passenger side power lock. New starter ($750 at my mechanic with OEM starter). New stereo system with bluetooth blah blah. New AC compressor.

Seriously, that's not that much stuff. Only the non maintenance items are any issue and there is not much there $ wise for 16 years. And if needed, I can spend some on my maintenance and repairs since I don't have a car payment.

Lastly repainted recently not that is all that bad but it got dinged at my mechanics so decided to get all the scratches and dings because I plan on driving this car awhile and I'm particular.

Can something go wrong. well sure. But I take care of my vehicles. I believe in preventative maintenance and I don't drive it like I stole it... But I also don't mind using the 320 foot #s of torque from time to time.

Now here's the thing with mileage. My wife has a 01 Highlander. If she wanted to get 200k, she would have to take 60k off of it. at 260k it's not missing a beat. The Lexus should easily out do this but at 7500 miles per year, when I give it up 5-10 years down the road, it will still be under 150k. I recently read an article a guy who drives a lot bought a 430 with 890k miles on it, in good shape. Yes sir, 890k miles. He wanted to see if he could make 1 million. 2 years later he hit 1 million miles and according to him it still ran and rode great! There is such a remote chance of this vehicle not making 300k, one would nearly need to abuse it intentionally or not even know an engine has oil to replace or change.

I couldn't ask for a better comfy ride. Yeah I'm a grandpa and perhaps this is a grandpa car. But I'm a happy camper with it and plan to be for many more years to come!

Last edited by RussL; 04-24-20 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 01:04 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

hey Russ,
I'm with you, everything you say, same here
Old 04-24-20, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue is finding an LS430 like that today. It’s great you’ve had yours and taken care of it, but a car like that on the market is very rare.
Old 04-24-20, 05:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RussL
Did I mention no payment and looks new?..
Yeah...its a wonderful feeling with no payments

No payment and not looking for one.
It's like Freedom 55

. My wife has a 01 Highlander. If she wanted to get 200k, she would have to take 60k off of it. at 260k it's not missing a beat.
Back then they had a 2 row and 3-row option. Does your wife have the 2 row version?

I have an 04 430. 95% as new. maybe better. 90k miles. Looks like new, rides like a cloud. No payment and not looking for one. I've had it nearly 5 years. Do I care if it doesn't look the 20/21 models? Not the slightest. It's a great car! Did I mention no payment and looks new? Interior cannot be distinguished from new.... Even the headlights are clear as clear can be.

Here's what I've done. Regular maintenance stuff which you can have with any car - timing belt/water pump. (yes 100k is the recommendation OR 9 years). Some people forget the OR part of that. Brakes (with rust proof new rotors). Tires. Always change oil-filter regularly with full synthetic and replace air/cabin filters as needed. Change coolant...

Non maintenance - replaced passenger side power lock. New starter ($750 at my mechanic with OEM starter). New stereo system with bluetooth blah blah. New AC compressor.

Seriously, that's not that much stuff. Only the non maintenance items are any issue and there is not much there $ wise for 16 years. And if needed, I can spend some on my maintenance and repairs since I don't have a car payment.

Lastly repainted recently not that is all that bad but it got dinged at my mechanics so decided to get all the scratches and dings because I plan on driving this car awhile and I'm particular.

Can something go wrong. well sure. But I take care of my vehicles. I believe in preventative maintenance and I don't drive it like I stole it... But I also don't mind using the 320 foot #s of torque from time to time.

Now here's the thing with mileage. My wife has a 01 Highlander. If she wanted to get 200k, she would have to take 60k off of it. at 260k it's not missing a beat. The Lexus should easily out do this but at 7500 miles per year, when I give it up 5-10 years down the road, it will still be under 150k. I recently read an article a guy who drives a lot bought a 430 with 890k miles on it, in good shape. Yes sir, 890k miles. He wanted to see if he could make 1 million. 2 years later he hit 1 million miles and according to him it still ran and rode great! There is such a remote chance of this vehicle not making 300k, one would nearly need to abuse it intentionally or not even know an engine has oil to replace or change.

I couldn't ask for a better comfy ride. Yeah I'm a grandpa and perhaps this is a grandpa car. But I'm a happy camper with it and plan to be for many more years to come!
All the maintenance stuff and repairs is just the cost of doing business. Lexus and Toyota cars and trucks last longer than anything else out there.

Have you had to do any service to the air ride or adaptive variable suspension components?
Old 05-20-20, 12:16 PM
RussL
6th Gear

two seater.
No, have not had to do any suspension items on the Lexus.
don't know what the future holds there.
but it helps if you don't hit curbs and try to avoid at least some of the potholes...

Quick Reply: Good solid Lexus cruiser