Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good solid Lexus cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 04:06 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one as a teen and beat the heck out of it, the mechanics of that motor never broke, never heard of a piston, con rod or block problem with that motor. The only problem was on damp days it might've been hard to start, the distributor cap would develop hairline cracks and allow moisture inside, so used to carry a can of "wire drier". Par for the course in those days.
Good read.
Old 04-12-20, 04:23 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

A gen 2 rx will serve your needs, as my wife & I found.....awd, mid size, can haul 4-5 ppl & is a handy size w/ a smooth ride...'04-'06 gets you a 3mz-fe & the '07-'09 gets you a 2gr-fe engine......Lots of them around to choose from.
Old 04-12-20, 05:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

you seem the type to invest into an LX470. Pinnacle of Original Lexus Luxury SUV (not a cruiser sedan but still) mantra and is basically a tank. While I dont suggest this to be a daily as at the sub 10k price point your looking at quite some mileage, but regardless good DIY vehicle that can work when others have thrown in the towel.
Old 04-12-20, 07:16 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
you seem the type to invest into an LX470. Pinnacle of Original Lexus Luxury SUV (not a cruiser sedan but still) mantra and is basically a tank. While I dont suggest this to be a daily as at the sub 10k price point your looking at quite some mileage, but regardless good DIY vehicle that can work when others have thrown in the towel.
Just been looking into it, wow what a vehicle, Lux Land Cruiser, does it all, still pretty pricey even used.
Old 04-12-20, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones66
Just been looking into it, wow what a vehicle, Lux Land Cruiser, does it all, still pretty pricey even used.
Something for you to keep in mind. The LX470 is rebadged Cygnus (spelling) Land Cruiser. We had a LX470, superb vehicle. Just keep in mind, AVS suspension is fluid based and is hydraulic, will definitely need to maintenance and then eventually repair. The motor (same as my 4Runner) has a timing belt and is an engine that will be be damaged if the belt breaks. The maintenance on the LX as a daily driver is very expensive. Premium gas and 12MPG combined. I sincerely hope this helps you out.

Something disappointing are the lack of dual HVAC for the front. And the power radio antenna. But something so nice and luxurious are the power rear vent windows at the very rear.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-12-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 08:21 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Something for you to keep in mind. The LX470 is rebadged Cygnus (spelling) Land Cruiser. We had a LX470, superb vehicle. Just keep in mind, AVS suspension is fluid based and is hydraulic, will definitely need to maintenance and then eventually repair. The motor (same as my 4Runner) has a timing belt and is an engine that will be be damaged if the belt breaks. The maintenance on the LX as a daily driver is very expensive. Premium gas and 12MPG combined. I sincerely hope this helps you out.

Something disappointing are the lack of dual HVAC for the front. And the power radio antenna. But something so nice and luxurious are the power rear vent windows at the very real.
That sounds like a lot of maintenance, gonna be living off pension, don't want big $$$ surprise.
thanks
Old 04-12-20, 09:00 PM
RSFSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS460 would be my choice. Lots of leg room and rides like you're on a cloud.
Old 04-12-20, 09:23 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Easy fixes for the problems Scotty highlighted : wet-sand, polish then seal the headlight lenses. Vinyl wrap the chrome trim the same color as the body paint. Alternatively vinyl wrap the chrome trim in black as a contrast accent. Your GS350 will look like new again.

Last edited by natnut; 04-12-20 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 04:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

That sounds like a lot of maintenance, gonna be living off pension, don't want big $$$ surprise.
thanks
Until 2 months ago I was not worried about retirement (still a ways off but felt I was ahead of the game). One thing that dawned on me was my guaranteed portion is small (defined benefit), most is the part that got clipped as of late (defined contribution). I was thinking and it took all this time to realize--it can't actually get better, because income is limited upon retirement. That's where I started to think dang a person was supposed to find some perpetuity/business to generate income. My job that I started in August 1999 had a pension which went away Jan 1, 2000. They've tried to buy me out 2X now (there's no need as $7xx/mo < $5,607.95. The latter is where you begin to consider taking the buyout but not really)
Old 04-13-20, 04:46 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Until 2 months ago I was not worried about retirement (still a ways off but felt I was ahead of the game). One thing that dawned on me was my guaranteed portion is small (defined benefit), most is the part that got clipped as of late (defined contribution). I was thinking and it took all this time to realize--it can't actually get better, because income is limited upon retirement. That's where I started to think dang a person was supposed to find some perpetuity/business to generate income. My job that I started in August 1999 had a pension which went away Jan 1, 2000. They've tried to buy me out 2X now (there's no need as $7xx/mo < $5,607.95. The latter is where you begin to consider taking the buyout but not really)
I was doing well also, already started taking monthly distribution from IRA, wanted to start putting it to use while young, now might have to suspend distribution, could take a year or two to be back where we were, nobody can say. ugh
Old 04-13-20, 05:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I was doing well also, already started taking monthly distribution from IRA, wanted to start putting it to use while young, now might have to suspend distribution, could take a year or two to be back where we were, nobody can say. ugh
Not sure why it took me all this time to realize, I've tended to DIY my retirement. But one day it dawned on me "all that you touch and all that you see" is pretty much as good as it gets! I mean take away my job, how is it that suddenly now I can finally buy that Porsche 992? It gets worse, not better. Then I was saying hmmmm my monthly according to the statements adds up to a police officer's, I'm in good shape. Then I also thought wait they have defined benefit, mine is riding on the portfolio value. All of this is likely why my parents' gen lived according to what was coming in. Don't get me wrong I intend on getting an outrageous car likely used, but it may be a one time shot, not multiple, so it has to count.

I have a coworker who's a big wig--he has a LX570 and he complains on getting ripped off at the dealer. I think his is a '13. I told him take it to the indie that I take the LS430 to when I need a big job, he says yeah I will, but never does....

p.s. I did look at the S&P last week and I thought it was as low as -35% since all this began, but was around -21% when I looked. 20% is not the end of the world, but it's a see-saw
Old 04-13-20, 05:12 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

A bit off topic but were all here killing time anyway. So the S&P made a pretty good recovery thru last week, not looking so bad then, but this mornings futures look bad, I've seen that turn around at the open too. Seesaw for sure.
Gotta be a bad time for car dealers and don't see a quick bright future.
Old 04-13-20, 06:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah so I don't know if you would look at things as I would. I want to get a somewhat outrageous car that I will love. For example, 2013 S63 AMG with P30, it was about $162k new, today, mid 30's. Or, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport LT3 with stick. Or, I'm just as happy getting nothing. Because to get something I don't want is a pure waste. What makes it unlikely I'll get the S63 is most are not P30s (opens it up to 186 mph and the torque goes over 600), and as we sit here the car is getting older. The 2014+ is a new body and not a wise move, less reliable. I think in life sometimes we're happier that when we can't get what we want, we accept and don't settle. A lot of beautiful women become old maids this way lol

You mentioned E36. That was a special car at the time as was the E46, and imho the E9x. So if you want that in a car, not that many will fit the bill...my .02
Old 04-13-20, 06:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Wasn't the age for taking Required Minimum Distributions recently raised to 72 from 701/2? Nice benefit if one doesn't necessarily need the $$'a at age 70.
Old 04-13-20, 06:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Wasn't the age for taking Required Minimum Distributions recently raised to 72 from 701/2? Nice benefit if one doesn't necessarily need the $$'a at age 70.

Quick Reply: Good solid Lexus cruiser