Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good solid Lexus cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 06:51 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to get special car, nothing as outrageous as you. Maybe a 911 or a Boxster. One criteria I have is that I can do the service work myself. A big part of owning these cars is maintenance, and doing it all myself affords me the opportunity to own them by saving so much. Dealers are just too high priced and not trustworthy. Someone above mentioned something about a starter turning into an engine replacement.
Don't know your age but something else to keep in mind, I see it all the time and it's a bit embarrassing but how often you see these gray haired old men driving brand new Porsches and Vettes, looks silly, IMO.
Bloomberg article, look it up

Fear of an Impending Car-Price Collapse Grips the Auto Industry

Last edited by Bones66; 04-13-20 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-13-20, 09:01 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Wasn't the age for taking Required Minimum Distributions recently raised to 72 from 701/2? Nice benefit if one doesn't necessarily need the $$'a at age 70.

that's the max age for Starting withdrawal but you can start earlier. My thinking is spend it while I'm healthy.
Old 04-13-20, 09:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones66
I would like to get special car, nothing as outrageous as you. Maybe a 911 or a Boxster. One criteria I have is that I can do the service work myself. A big part of owning these cars is maintenance, and doing it all myself affords me the opportunity to own them by saving so much. Dealers are just too high priced and not trustworthy. Someone above mentioned something about a starter turning into an engine replacement.
Don't know your age but something else to keep in mind, I see it all the time and it's a bit embarrassing but how often you see these gray haired old men driving brand new Porsches and Vettes, looks silly, IMO.
Bloomberg article, look it up

Fear of an Impending Car-Price Collapse Grips the Auto Industry

It's looking like you can probably get a 911 or Boxster at a relatively good price. If you are close to, or in retirement, one of them would be a good and fun car plus you'd have the time to work on it and enjoy it. Good luck with your decision.

Being older myself I see it differently when I see an old guy driving something like a Porsche, Vette etc. If they can afford it and are enjoying it, good for them. It's an enjoy it while you can kind of thing.
Old 04-13-20, 09:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It's looking like you can probably get a 911 or Boxster at a relatively good price. If you are close to, or in retirement, one of them would be a good and fun car plus you'd have the time to work on it and enjoy it. Good luck with your decision.

Being older myself I see it differently when I see an old guy driving something like a Porsche, Vette etc. If they can afford it and are enjoying it, good for them. It's an enjoy it while you can kind of thing.
I see it as you do--the avg age would be higher, like a Vette, but maybe a little less. One of our presidents retired a while back, and I told the story before I said you have a 911, right Joe? I always thought I'd get one, but it seems that ship has sailed. He said to me, took him 30 years to get that car, and that I have time. I don't think so given the 991's were $140k new/loaded for just an S lol This person had a 997 S cabrio. Then again, even pretty high up folks with this car get them used since they're not usually daily drivers...as mentioned, if I don't get one, I'm ok. But I tell myself the Grand Sport is attainable, don't say it's ok to not get at least that...
Old 04-13-20, 09:40 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Boxsters are getting great writeups and reasonably priced. I think Porsche is being careful in their Boxster development, they don't want it to supplant the 911.
From a tech standpoint, the mid engine design should be superior

Last edited by Bones66; 04-13-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-13-20, 09:44 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I see it as you do--the avg age would be higher, like a Vette, but maybe a little less. One of our presidents retired a while back, and I told the story before I said you have a 911, right Joe? I always thought I'd get one, but it seems that ship has sailed. He said to me, took him 30 years to get that car, and that I have time. I don't think so given the 991's were $140k new/loaded for just an S lol This person had a 997 S cabrio. Then again, even pretty high up folks with this car get them used since they're not usually daily drivers...as mentioned, if I don't get one, I'm ok. But I tell myself the Grand Sport is attainable, don't say it's ok to not get at least that...
You might get a 30 year old blonde named Inga easier than finding a GS. Am I crossing the PC boundary, ha.
Old 04-13-20, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Looked through the thread, whats missing really is a budget. What is the maximum $$$ you want to spend? I gather $40k+ for a 2013+ LS looks like a no-go?

When looking for a "bulletproof" car, the answer is they don't exist. No car will be problem free, certainly not cars as old as we are talking about here.

If you really want as close to a problem free Lexus as you can get for say, $25,000 I would say get a 2016-2018 ES350. You can even get a CPO one in that range. If we're talking pay $5,000-$10,000 for a problem free car, thats not possible.
Old 04-13-20, 10:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

You might get a 30 year old blonde named Inga easier than finding a GS. Am I crossing the PC boundary, ha.
Not at all. I was watching Modern Family (it was on lol) and Ed O'Neill was told by his daughter, his wife was in diapers when he was 30 y.o. My wife loves that show, I never did.

Seriously I think the Grand Sport is attainable, but I don't think the 911 is. I have a 6 y.o. son so I have to set something aside for his college and when we're gone too....sad to think about it....with these cars I want brakes and tires, then manual and engine.....the Corvette satisfies those criteria
Old 04-13-20, 10:09 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Looked through the thread, whats missing really is a budget. What is the maximum $$$ you want to spend? I gather $40k+ for a 2013+ LS looks like a no-go?

When looking for a "bulletproof" car, the answer is they don't exist. No car will be problem free, certainly not cars as old as we are talking about here.

If you really want as close to a problem free Lexus as you can get for say, $25,000 I would say get a 2016-2018 ES350. You can even get a CPO one in that range. If we're talking pay $5,000-$10,000 for a problem free car, thats not possible.
From what I've learned here, the GS350 looks like something I want. So, what is diff between ES and GS models? I've already discovered low mileage, under 100k, 3rd gen GS350 w/AWD for under 8k, looked like a good deal
I could swing 15k easy enough and maybe a bit higher.
Old 04-13-20, 10:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

From what I've learned here, the GS350 looks like something I want. So, what is diff between ES and GS models? I've already discovered low mileage, under 100k, 3rd gen GS350 w/AWD for under 8k, looked like a good deal
ES is FWD, GS is usually AWD but RWD based. My suggestion looking back on buying a 2006 LS430 from a new car dealer in 10/16, I would want to have the car inspected by an indie garage--if they charge $200, it's worth it. Not sure what the dealer would have said. Otherwise, I also want to test drive the car for a day--not to put a ton of miles on it, but run errands, so I will notice things that are not working. With mine the driver door actuator was not working, and the brakes pulsated--they ended up addressing no charge, but they could have said no, and I woulda been out maybe $1300 retail....(door is $840 at a dealership)
Old 04-13-20, 10:36 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
ES is FWD, GS is usually AWD but RWD based. My suggestion looking back on buying a 2006 LS430 from a new car dealer in 10/16, I would want to have the car inspected by an indie garage--if they charge $200, it's worth it. Not sure what the dealer would have said. Otherwise, I also want to test drive the car for a day--not to put a ton of miles on it, but run errands, so I will notice things that are not working. With mine the driver door actuator was not working, and the brakes pulsated--they ended up addressing no charge, but they could have said no, and I woulda been out maybe $1300 retail....(door is $840 at a dealership)
So that being said I think I prefer the GS, AWD or RWD.
I have no problem with a PPI except for the quality of the indie, how good is he gonna inspect or how familiar with car. Sometimes they just do a safety inspection, I can do that, I can do a full inspection with a checklist but no seller is gonna let me tear into their car. It's best to take it to dealer and get PPI, they have an exact checklist, except if you're buying from a dealer can you trust the same dealer to do inspection.
Taking it for a day test drive is excellent if the seller lets you.
Old 04-13-20, 11:48 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

"Not at all. I was watching Modern Family (it was on lol) and Ed O'Neill was told by his daughter, his wife was in diapers when he was 30 y.o. My wife loves that show, I never did"

He's also very wealthy in that show.
Old 04-13-20, 01:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

that's the max age for Starting withdrawal but you can start earlier. My thinking is spend it while I'm healthy.
Don't spend too much of it while you're young and healthy! Lol. You won't always be young and you may not be healthy. Save some for that proverbial rainy day.
Old 04-13-20, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The ES is based on the Camry/Avalon platform, its FWD and a simpler, less sophisticated car. They are less expensive to maintain because so many components are shared with the Camry, they are Macpherson strut suspension, very straightforward. The GS is a Lexus specific platform, its RWD or RWD based AWD. Its basically the same engine as the ES, just a longitudinal layout and they have direct injection plus port injection, the V6 in the ES is transverse layout and only has port injection. The ES will run on regular fuel, while I would put premium in the GS because of the DI. The GS is more sophisticated with multilink suspension, available active dampers, etc. Parts will be a little more expensive. GS interior is nicer, and you have the RWD dynamics.

The GS is the better car, but not by as much as you would think in that generation. The 4GS is a much better car than the 3GS, and quite honestly if you can get a little bit newer lower mile 5ES vs older higher mile 3GS, I would probably get the ES. 4GS vs ES no contest get the GS.
Old 04-13-20, 02:32 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The ES is based on the Camry/Avalon platform, its FWD and a simpler, less sophisticated car. They are less expensive to maintain because so many components are shared with the Camry, they are Macpherson strut suspension, very straightforward. The GS is a Lexus specific platform, its RWD or RWD based AWD. Its basically the same engine as the ES, just a longitudinal layout and they have direct injection plus port injection, the V6 in the ES is transverse layout and only has port injection. The ES will run on regular fuel, while I would put premium in the GS because of the DI. The GS is more sophisticated with multilink suspension, available active dampers, etc. Parts will be a little more expensive. GS interior is nicer, and you have the RWD dynamics.

The GS is the better car, but not by as much as you would think in that generation. The 4GS is a much better car than the 3GS, and quite honestly if you can get a little bit newer lower mile 5ES vs older higher mile 3GS, I would probably get the ES. 4GS vs ES no contest get the GS.
I think the GS is just what I'm looking for and why I'm here at Lexus forum. I like Toyota and have one now but just looking for that lexus step up in ride.

Quick Reply: Good solid Lexus cruiser