Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good solid Lexus cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 08:44 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good solid Lexus cruiser

Hi, this is my first post and hope i'm in the right forum. I would like to buy my first lexus, pre-owned. I'm looking for a good solid cruiser, a good motor, transmission and suspension, not interested in bells and whistles and not really concerned about model year but would like low mileage car whichever model. I was interested in an LS400 model as an example but they are hard to come by and the ones avail are pretty beat. I like to do my own wrenching but i realize as the models get newer that becomes harder and more proprietary software is needed. I have previously owned a BMW E36 for 20 plus years, those familiar with that car know it's rock solid engine, tranny and suspension were just what I wanted. They are now getting older and hard to find also, plus it's a smaller 2 door and i'm getting older. Short of a Lexus recommendation is there a bulletproof engine that Lexus shares with Toyota and I could find a matching model?
thanks all

Last edited by Bones66; 04-11-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-11-20, 09:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Back in 10/16 I wanted a car to take over daily driver duties, was using a 1998 Maxima. I don't remember how I landed on the 3rd gen LS430, but I did. All I can remember is coming here and seeing a thread where common issues were telescope wheel not working, rear sideview mirror, etc. So I laughed and thought ok this is a reliable car and the fact that it was a flagship was interesting. Also that I could finally not borrow any money and get a car I liked. Many consider the LS430 a 200k car all day long, and a 300k car usually. Mine today is at 125k and shares the common issues with everyone else.

It's been 3.5 years and although I would not look back, not sure if it's a good choice today. Almost 4 years has gone by. If the 2010 were the same gen as my 2006, then I would recommend it. Meaning, it's not preferable to me to get into 15 y.o. cars, 10 is fine, 7 is better.

I know where you're coming from on the E36. I could not afford one, nor could I afford the E46, and when my ship came in I bought a E92, now 13 years old, and still have it, has been 100% reliable except ABS/DSC failure which was a DIY. German cars are inexpensive DIYs simply because of the over abundance of OE and OEM parts. That's the one downside of Lexus DIY, often we're faced with OE, or aftermarket. We can't indentify OEM as we can with the Germans. Without DIY the LS430 is too expensive to maintain. Look at the 3rd gen forum, a forum member took his car to the Lexus dealership for a new starter, and was told he needed a new engine, which turned out to be false.

I would research 2006 LS430s, and also 2013 LS460s, to see if either might fit the bill. The LS430 needs to be dirt cheap, whereas a 2013 460 is not "that" old....good luck.
Old 04-11-20, 09:27 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I have noticed when inputting "Lexus" in the local classifieds there are a LOT of 430's listed, said to myself that's a problem. Rarely any 400's pop up.
Old 04-11-20, 10:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is an example of what I might consider today--single owner, low mileage, modern luxury package, no accidents, offer $7000 and maybe take it for $7500.

At this age I suppose flood cars are also a possibility. Interesting no shot of hood up--I always try to determine the color of the brake fluid if the pic is in tight enough. also, almost always, the tool kit is stolen from the trunk (first aid too but that's too old)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 04-11-20, 10:41 AM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This is an example of what I might consider today--single owner, low mileage, modern luxury package, no accidents, offer $7000 and maybe take it for $7500.

At this age I suppose flood cars are also a possibility. Interesting no shot of hood up--I always try to determine the color of the brake fluid if the pic is in tight enough. also, almost always, the tool kit is stolen from the trunk (first aid too but that's too old)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
That is a nice example. You find that to be a reliable Gen 430? Remember i am a total Lexus newbie. You think a dealer would drop that much, they're tough, would love to get that from the original owner. Yeah right!, why no engine shot, dealer should have a pic checklist to go thru and that would be automatic
Thanks, keep'em coming please
Old 04-11-20, 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

ls400's are OLD at this point. have you considered a more recent ES350 or GS350?
Old 04-11-20, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones66
Hi, this is my first post and hope i'm in the right forum. I would like to buy my first lexus, pre-owned. I'm looking for a good solid cruiser, a good motor, transmission and suspension, not interested in bells and whistles and not really concerned about model year but would like low mileage car whichever model. I was interested in an LS400 model as an example but they are hard to come by and the ones avail are pretty beat. I like to do my own wrenching but i realize as the models get newer that becomes harder and more proprietary software is needed. I have previously owned a BMW E36 for 20 plus years, those familiar with that car know it's rock solid engine, tranny and suspension were just what I wanted. They are now getting older and hard to find also, plus it's a smaller 2 door and i'm getting older. Short of a Lexus recommendation is there a bulletproof engine that Lexus shares with Toyota and I could find a matching model?
thanks all
Two ways to look at it: I hope my advice serves you, well friend,

1. Lexus ES type or RX with NO air suspension or AVS (some ES/RX models have had AVS over the years)....This model will not cost you as much to repair the suspension.

2. Lexus GS or LS which have significantly more complicated suspensions. They ride nice but when the suspensions start to fail, you will either have to fix or repair...some will not be drivable with no repair or replacement. Case in point, by 4Runner had the air suspension wear out, just to add springs was $800 and they were a conversion kit, that is just rear only.....Our LX450, no air, so nothing to wear out.

I sincerely hope this helps.....I'd go 3.5V6 if you want to be safe, or V8 if I were you. But timing belt UZ motors need the belts replaced, and usually the AVS or air comes with the V8s.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-11-20 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-11-20, 12:21 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Imo the cheapest lexus car to maintain that are reliable and not complicated to do DIY after year 2000 imo would be the 2007-2011 GS350. The engines and trans are bulletproof except the water pump that takes 1.5 hours to replace every 100k miles. No timing belt to mess with and front end suspension parts are easy to change. Still looks modern and have back up cam, heated and ventilated seats.

After that model I would go with the 2004-2006 LS430. Suspension parts may be a bit pricey. But change it once and you'll get 130,000 miles before it needs to be changed again. Just get the model without air suspension or get one with it and change it to regular suspension. The only downside is timing belt every 100k and I believe the starter usually goes around 130k.

I know you mentioned newer cars are harder to diy but the 2011-2016 ES350 and 2012-2015 GS350 won't need any diy apart from the usual suspension wear and tear.

I didnt mention the IS since it's small which I dont think you want.
Old 04-11-20, 12:30 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ls400's are OLD at this point. have you considered a more recent ES350 or GS350?

That's why i'm here, to learn, thanks
Old 04-11-20, 12:33 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Two ways to look at it: I hope my advice serves you, well friend,

1. Lexus ES type or RX with NO air suspension or AVS (some ES/RX models have had AVS over the years)....This model will not cost you as much to repair the suspension.

2. Lexus GS or LS which have significantly more complicated suspensions. They ride nice but when the suspensions start to fail, you will either have to fix or repair...some will not be drivable with no repair or replacement. Case in point, by 4Runner had the air suspension wear out, just to add springs was $800 and they were a conversion kit, that is just rear only.....Our LX450, no air, so nothing to wear out.

I sincerely hope this helps.....I'd go 3.5V6 if you want to be safe, or V8 if I were you. But timing belt UZ motors need the belts replaced, and usually the AVS or air comes with the V8s.
Air suspensions s---k, I remember a friend had a Continental with that option and couldn't afford to fix it but was driving it like 3" off the ground, nothing but trouble.
Old 04-11-20, 12:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If you want luxury = LS430
If you want some luxury with sport = 2nd gen GS300 with NA 2JZ or GS400/430. The V8 GS are much rarer.

3rd gen GS with 3.5 V6 are solid also and offer good performance.

ES is FWD so if you are ok with that then they are more plentiful to choose from as Lexus sells a ton of them compared to LS/GS....

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-11-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 12:43 PM
Bones66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Imo the cheapest lexus car to maintain that are reliable and not complicated to do DIY after year 2000 imo would be the 2007-2011 GS350. The engines and trans are bulletproof except the water pump that takes 1.5 hours to replace every 100k miles. No timing belt to mess with and front end suspension parts are easy to change. Still looks modern and have back up cam, heated and ventilated seats.

After that model I would go with the 2004-2006 LS430. Suspension parts may be a bit pricey. But change it once and you'll get 130,000 miles before it needs to be changed again. Just get the model without air suspension or get one with it and change it to regular suspension. The only downside is timing belt every 100k and I believe the starter usually goes around 130k.

I know you mentioned newer cars are harder to diy but the 2011-2016 ES350 and 2012-2015 GS350 won't need any diy apart from the usual suspension wear and tear.

I didnt mention the IS since it's small which I dont think you want.
The GS350 sounds like my type of car, water pump sounds like a piece of cake and BTW, water pump was one of the weak spots in a BMW E36(high and up front, easy), got to do that job a couple of times.
What gen is the 7-11 GS350 and 12-15 GS350? and what is the diff, motors? susp?
What motor is that in the GS350, is that the Toyota motor with the super rugged bottom end?
Thanks, keep it coming.
PS-just did quick check of surrounding CL areas and it looks like a GS350 might not be easy to find

Last edited by Bones66; 04-11-20 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 12:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Air suspensions s---k, I remember a friend had a Continental with that option and couldn't afford to fix it but was driving it like 3" off the ground, nothing but trouble.
That is the scary part...once they fail, its costs $$$
Old 04-11-20, 12:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The GS350 sounds like my type of car, water pump sounds like a piece of cake and BTW, water pump was one of the weak spots in a BMW E36(high and up front, easy), got to do that job a couple of times.
What motor is that in the GS350, is that the Toyota motor with the super rugged bottom end?
Thanks, keep it coming.
You could also get the GS pre-350 with the Inline 6....but if you are going to mess with water pumps, you might as well get a timing belt motor.
Old 04-11-20, 12:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks, keep it coming.
3.5 V6 are the same with limited updates.
There is change from 6speed to 8speed auto eon RWD cars, not sure what year.

The 4th Gen (2013-present) GS with Fsport package is much superior to 3rd Gen (06-12)

Quick Reply: Good solid Lexus cruiser