Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LQ Will be the New Flagship Lexus SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 07:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I am definitely far from the authority on Toyota Motor Company movements, but I must point out that it's probably a better idea to refer to this vehicle as LF- 1 for now. The trademark filed by Toyota on May 7, 2018 for LQ was actually for this Tokyo Motor Show 2019 LQ Concept.

Judging by a past trademark filing for TX on October 20, 2009 by Toyota, it was dredged up later on in 2013 by news media (when pre-facelift GX was struggling) and nothing ever came of it, because it wasn't even a full Lexus nomenclature orientation of XX ###x (ie LS 500h). It was just 2 letters. TX filing died unused in 2017.

I would wait until a proper trademark filing like LQ 600 is made. 95% of filings like that actually go into production. Way less than 50% of 2-character Toyota trademark filings go into production.
There is no Lexus LQ crossover, when RX, NX, and UX exist, so LF-1 is probably the best thing to call it. They'll have to get creative with L-flagship naming or be forced to overhaul their whole naming structure, like Infiniti or Mercedes-Benz.
1 Coulomb "C" with the scientific abbreviation using a capital C is a quantity of 6.24 x 10 to the power of 18 electrons.
Conversely, "q" in lower case is the scientific symbol for the quantity of charge of just one (1) electron as 1.6 x 10 to the power of negative 19 Coulombs of charge.

Hence Mercedes has the so called "EQ" series of full battery powered electric vehicles BEV's eg: EQC compact SUV tall wagon, and the forthcoming 2021 EQS full size sedan.
Thus, I suspect the LQ is for some type of Lexus BEV - rather than a full size RWD-based CUV/SUV tall wagen.

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I like this post. A reason I don't care for posting here much, as the Car Chat environment can become a ego-stroking circle jerk and rivaled the Debate Forum. A reason why I like Lexus Enthusiast and German Car Forum. Mild to intense opinions, but we play it off with a laugh.

We are entitled to our perspectives, without condescension or snarky digs. Whether or not we agree. I am simply reactive, not a s***starter of course and my post history shows that.
Thanks for that Carmaker1.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Hence I believe everyone on the forum should try to positively and directly voice their opinions on the car - without negatively criticizing another poster's opinion.
Too often, posters are wasting time negatively criticizing another person's opinion - rather than being positive and voicing their own opinions.
Old 04-25-20, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Enough personal assessments and critique of the forum please.

if your post has a sentence that begins with "You..." then perhaps it should be reconsidered.
Old 04-25-20, 08:49 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 243 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When I owned my LS430 new, the 7 Series and S Class were still an upgrade.
Well, it routinely was compared in the mags with the 7 and S and routinely ranked higher. Price and reliability certainly played at part in that, but ride, build quality, and noise isolation did also. It was a better all-around luxury car than the 7 or S.
Old 04-25-20, 10:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Well, it routinely was compared in the mags with the 7 and S and routinely ranked higher. Price and reliability certainly played at part in that, but ride, build quality, and noise isolation did also. It was a better all-around luxury car than the 7 or S.
Its value was a huge part of what made it “better”. All things being equal, no way we’d have chosen the LS.
Old 04-26-20, 11:03 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Yep. Here's a 2004 Car and Driver comparison test, it's all jumbled but the LS took first place.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...parison-tests/

Yes you could get a V12 S-class and 7 and spend much more money, but actually car versus car, engineering, etc. the LS430 was superior to those at that time.
Old 04-26-20, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes you could get a V12 S-class and 7 and spend much more money, but actually car versus car, engineering, etc. the LS430 was superior to those at that time.
I shopped them all new at the time. Value was a huge reason why we chose the LS, S Class would have been the clear choice if cost was no concern as it remains today.

Not to say that the LS430 wasn't a great car, it was, its just this idea that you guys put out there that when it was new it was the king of the segment was not so. If it had been the same price as the German competitors it would not have sold as well as it did.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-26-20 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 11:24 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
You are entitled to think that RX is hideous.
Lots of people may think that RX styling is hideous, but probably a whole lot more think that it is reasonably attractive - judging by 111k/yr sales.
We can only give opinions, however the manufacturers with their 3rd party feedback stats will know much more accurately and quantitatively.

Neither NX nor RX drive well; both have a sportyish ride on noticeably low profile tires.
Both GLC and GLE ride more smoothly and quietly.

NX $36k to GLC's $42k, and RX's $44k to GLE's $54k - both Lexiis are cheap relative to their German counterparts.

Yet, the fact is that NX only sells 2/3 of GLC, while RX sells >2x GLE!

Nowadays, it's not good enough just to be an SUV.
The product must be good, and well styled too.
I agree but we have to keep in mind the fact that RX was the pioneer in luxury crossover market. Sure it came out slightly later than MB ML but it did many things better than ML so in fact it was RX that set the rout to what ultimate luxury crossover may become. Sure MB, BMW, Audi, RR are now leaders in the luxury SUV segment in terms of what to expect from the vehicle but RX still has a huge following in US strictly because they got it right for the first two generations and kept it steady with the rest of the two. Current RX is a textbook example how you rebadge the vehicle beyond the point of recognition. Is that enough to compete with Germans? No it's not. But I guess it's enough for Lexus to kill in the sales.

So RX is the best seller thanks to it's loyal customers and pricing. These two play the biggest roles in RX dominance. Neglect RX like they did with LS and they will see customers go somewhere else, raise the price on par with the Germans like they did with LS and they will see sales drop. That's RX case.

NX doesn't have that comfort to make the price gap as big as RX has. On top of that add to the fact that it was whole 7 years late to compact crossover party so it missed out on the original pie slicing and the fact that it is poorly rebadged RAV4 both inside out no wonder it's not selling as well as it should be. It's selling as much as any other luxury compact crossover out there. Going toe to toe with RDX that completely botched the first gen. NX is just not as solid product as RX is. In order to be so they would need to develop NX first and then downgrade to RAV4 just like they are doing RX first - Highlander second. That might happen on third generation NX but I won't bet my money on it because RAV is Toyota's bread and butter and there is very little chance they take gamble on it.
Old 04-26-20, 12:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I agree but we have to keep in mind the fact that RX was the pioneer in luxury crossover market. Sure it came out slightly later than MB ML but it did many things better than ML so in fact it was RX that set the rout to what ultimate luxury crossover may become. Sure MB, BMW, Audi, RR are now leaders in the luxury SUV segment in terms of what to expect from the vehicle but RX still has a huge following in US strictly because they got it right for the first two generations and kept it steady with the rest of the two. Current RX is a textbook example how you rebadge the vehicle beyond the point of recognition. Is that enough to compete with Germans? No it's not. But I guess it's enough for Lexus to kill in the sales.
How are they competing if not with sales (and profits?)? And also, what vehicle is RX rebadging, a Camry?
Old 04-26-20, 01:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I shopped them all new at the time. Value was a huge reason why we chose the LS, S Class would have been the clear choice if cost was no concern as it remains today.

Not to say that the LS430 wasn't a great car, it was, its just this idea that you guys put out there that when it was new it was the king of the segment was not so. If it had been the same price as the German competitors it would not have sold as well as it did.
Actually, yes it was. At least according to the professional journalists. LS430 was the last true LS that was pure 1990 Lexus ethos, overbuilt creampuff 100000% luxury. It's also a combination of just how good the 430 was and just how bad the W220 and Bangle-7 cars were. (Ask anyone what the worst S-Class and 7 Series were) LS430 was gushed over in its day, just google old reviews.

But anyway this is off topic.

I am super eager to see this thing, if Lexus gets the next LX wrong I will REALLY start to question the brand. LS500 is bad enough but the LC sort of makes up for it. Lexus is wildly successful with SUVs and crossovers, though. (They sold 25k GXs last year....seriously?) I think they'll be fine and this will be a success.
Old 04-26-20, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I read the reviews when they were first published, I don’t have to google them now. As a consumer, the LS was absolutely a value purchase. Every time we bought an LS we considered *upgrading* to an S Class or 7 Series but value won out. The 7 Series and S Class were always an upgrade though. At the time nobody knew the reliability issues those cars would have, as new cars sitting on the lot they were absolutely the cars you wanted, just like they are today.

If the LS430 had been the same price as the S430 in that test the result would have been different.
Old 04-26-20, 01:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I read the reviews when they were first published, I don’t have to google them now. As a consumer, the LS was absolutely a value purchase. Every time we bought an LS we considered *upgrading* to an S Class or 7 Series but value won out. The 7 Series and S Class were always an upgrade though. At the time nobody knew the reliability issues those cars would have, as new cars sitting on the lot they were absolutely the cars you wanted, just like they are today.

If the LS430 had been the same price as the S430 in that test the result would have been different.
Ok, ask any Lexus service tech which LS is the best and any BMW/Benz person that will actually admit it, which is the worst 7 and S.

Because your dad chose an LS430 over an S-class is irrelevant to me. The build quality was better, the wood trim better, etc. I've experienced all of those cars too, LS wins.

Moving on back to LQ or LX or whatever it will be called.
Old 04-26-20, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In hindsight there’s no question the 430 was the better car compared to those cars, but when they were new the LS didn’t have the appeal the S Class or 7 Series did at the time.

You guys go around like the Germans being more appealing is a new thing...it’s not. It’s always been that way.

Bringing it back to this LQ, if Lexus can deliver the right product at the right value it will do very well.
Old 04-26-20, 01:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

In hindsight there’s no question the 430 was the better car compared to those cars, but when they were new the LS didn’t have the appeal the S Class or 7 Series did at the time.

You guys go around like the Germans being more appealing is a new thing...it’s not. It’s always been that way.

Bringing it back to this LQ, if Lexus can deliver the right product at the right value it will do very well.
Ok, well we can wholeheartedly agree on this. Even if it's not a "huge value" I think it will still be very successful. The dinasuar LX now doesn't sell huge but they sell enough of them.
Old 04-26-20, 01:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

And I will (begrudgingly) admit this probably needs to be a unibody, more crossover, for the best sales.

Grab an LX while you can, everyone, if trucks and off roading, etc. are your thing.
Old 04-26-20, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They’re not saying they are cancelling the LX, this is in addition to the LX.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LQ Will be the New Flagship Lexus SUV