Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LQ Will be the New Flagship Lexus SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 10:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2022 Lexus LQ Will be the New Flagship Lexus SUV

2022 Lexus LQ Will be the New Flagship Lexus SUV

Borrowing elements from the LS sedan and LC coupe, the upcoming LQ should bring much needed life to the top of Lexus's SUV lineup.

The top of the Lexus lineup has always been occupied by the stately LS sedan (and, more recently, the LC coupe). That may continue to be the case for the foreseeable future, but the brand is still lacking the modern, high-end SUV that virtually every other luxury vehicle maker has to offer affluent shoppers. The upcoming Lexus LQ, which will serve as a sleek range-topping crossover that will make the current LX SUV look positively archaic, should address that shortcoming

Previewed by the LF-1 Limitless concept (pictured) from a few years ago, the longitudinal-engine LQ should share key structural elements with the LS. It also should share its powertrains, including the LS's standard 416-hp twin-turbo V-6 and its optional 354-hp hybrid powertrain. An F performance model might even pack a twin-turbo V-8 good for 600-plus horsepower.

Lexus has cornered the market on highly rational luxury-car buyers. Drawing design cues from the sultry LC coupe, the LQ could also inspire lust in the kind of driver who buys a vehicle without first making a spreadsheet.

You'll have to wait a little bit for it to arrive, however. Despite no shortage of competition from Audi, BMW, Range Rover Mercedes, and Porsche, the LQ is still a couple years away from hitting Lexus showrooms, where it could command prices from $80,000 to nearly $100,000 for top models.

.....More
Old 04-16-20, 10:22 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really doubt this thing will have 450/500h drivetrain from LS/LC when new twin turbo V6 hybrid is just around the corner and it will be available even in some Toyota trucks and/or SUVs
Old 04-16-20, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Can't come soon enough...
Old 04-16-20, 10:25 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if it's going to be called LQ or not. Doesn't really make sense to go against their normal models where everything ends in"X" and it's too close to Infiniti's "Q" designation for their models. But who knows what they've got up their sleeve.

Someone on Motor1.com did point out that Toyota had filed for the "LQ" trademark but it was for a small autonomous vehicle.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-announces-new-ai-automated-lq-concept/

Old 04-16-20, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
I really doubt this thing will have 450/500h drivetrain from LS/LC when new twin turbo V6 hybrid is just around the corner and it will be available even in some Toyota trucks and/or SUVs
So what do you think it will have? I think this will just be a crossover version of the LS
Old 04-16-20, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jezza819
I don't know if it's going to be called LQ or not. Doesn't really make sense to go against their normal models where everything ends in"X" and it's too close to Infiniti's "Q" designation for their models. But who knows what they've got up their sleeve.

Someone on Motor1.com did point out that Toyota had filed for the "LQ" trademark but it was for a small autonomous vehicle.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-announces-new-ai-automated-lq-concept/
You have an interesting point here. I am assuming Car & Driver might know something.
Old 04-16-20, 10:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I believe they use "L" for the flagship models. LX is already taken, so I could definitely see this being the LQ.
Old 04-16-20, 11:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Lexus is not very good at understanding what "Flagship" means. It means options and performance and the best you've got. If the LS/LC powertrains are the best you've got...it will outsell the LS, but it will just be another also ran. The current Hybrid system in the LS/LC just doesnt cut it. The V6TT is a great base engine, but from there it jumps to the "LQ-F" ? They need an option inbetween like maybe a 500hp+ V8tt? Mid 4s 0-60 times is no longer flagship status anymore so they need something to bring it closer to 4s or below without having to move to the "LQF."
Old 04-16-20, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

wake me up in 2 years...
Old 04-16-20, 11:28 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe they use "L" for the flagship models. LX is already taken, so I could definitely see this being the LQ.
Unless this is just going to take the place of the old LX570 and become LX600 or something like that.
Old 04-16-20, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's another link:

https://www.motor1.com/news/409958/2...q-suv-details/

HomeLexusNewsRumors

2022 Lexus LQ Flagship SUV Could Have More Than 600 Horsepower

APR 16, 2020 at 2:56AM
+

By: Adrian Padeanu

The F version will have that kind of power, but prepare to pay six figures.

Remember the rather striking LF-1 Limitless concept? Lexus unveiled the luxobarge more than two years ago at the Detroit Auto Show where many people saw it a sneak preview of the next-generation LX. It would seem Toyota’s premium division has something else in mind for the high-riding behemoth as a new report from Car and Driver indicates the production version will be positioned above the aging LX.

The report mentions it will share many of its underpinnings with the LS fullsize luxury sedan, but with an F twist as there could be a high-performance version equipped with a twin-turbo V8 engine good for more than 600 horsepower. The lesser versions would grab the powertrains from Japan’s S-Class rival, namely the twin-turbo V6 rated at 416 hp and the hybrid powertrain with 354 hp.

Gallery: Lexus LF-1 Limitless Concept

37 Photos
Car and Driver reports the LQ will be available for the 2022MY, which means it won’t go on sale until sometime next year. The base version is expected to cost somewhere in the region of $80,000 and rise to about $100,000 for the flagship variant. Lexus is unlikely to launch the F model from day one, so it would probably arrive a year later to sit on top of the range with a six-figure price tag to rival the likes of the Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 and Audi RS Q8.

It is worth mentioning Lexus has already secured the rights to use the “LQ” moniker, and with the press release for the concept saying it has the “potential to shape the future of a flagship luxury crossover,” it might just happen. It can’t come soon enough taking into consideration the LX feels ancient compared to its much more modern rivals.

Get Up To Speed With The LX:

Lexus LX600 Trademark Could Hint At More Powerful Version

2020 Lexus LX570 Looks Slightly Meaner With Sport PackageOur Toyota/Lexus insider told us a while back the LX will switch to an all-new model in 2022 and will represent a “huge departure” compared to the current vehicle launched many moons ago. It’ll be interesting to see whether he was actually referring to the new LX or the LQ. Either way, it would appear Lexus is hard at work developing an all-new large SUV.

Source: Car and Driver
Old 04-16-20, 12:36 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

What I would like is a SUV that drives like X7 and as capable as a LX with enough space to carry the whole family and not get 12 MPG.
Old 04-16-20, 02:18 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So what do you think it will have? I think this will just be a crossover version of the LS
I would assume that both LS and LC will be upgraded to 3.5TT Hybrid within two model years unless this unit is reserved solely for SUVs to replace V8
Old 04-16-20, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
I would assume that both LS and LC will be upgraded to 3.5TT Hybrid within two model years unless this unit is reserved solely for SUVs to replace V8
Oh. I see what you mean. 3.5TT, yeah maybe. Or, they could add the plug in capabilities. Sort of like how RAV4 has hybrid and then RAV4 Prime which has plug-in but far more performance capabilities.
Old 04-16-20, 11:57 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

600hp crossover for US$80k to 100k?

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LQ Will be the New Flagship Lexus SUV