Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Harrier Could be a Perfect Fit for US

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 12:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Default C&D: Harrier Could be a Perfect Fit for US

New Harrier is looking good, I think. Car and Driver thinks it would do well here, slotting between the RAV4 and Highlander.

Toyota Harrier Mid-Size SUV Could Be a Perfect Fit for America

This Japan-market crossover would slot in between the RAV4 and Highlander, and Toyota already holds a trademark for the Harrier name in the U.S.

• Toyota has launched a new generation of the Japan-market Harrier SUV.
  • The Harrier used to be closely related to the Lexus RX but is now a standalone model, which makes us think it could—and should—come to the U.S.
  • If it ever comes to our shores, the mid-size Harrier would slot in between the RAV4 and Highlander in the lineup.
The Toyota Harrier is not a familiar nameplate to most Americans. Previously sold in Japan as an identical twin of the Lexus RX with a Toyota badge, the Harrier has recently diverged from the Lexus. And now that there is a particularly attractive new Harrier launching in Japan this year, we are starting to think that it should come to the U.S.

As a mid-size crossover, it would fill a gap in the Toyota SUV lineup last occupied by the Venza sold from 2009 to 2015. The fact that Toyota filed for a U.S. trademark for the Harrier name in August 2018, hints that this may be a real possibility.

At 186.6 inches long, the Harrier is 5.7 inches longer than the compact RAV4 but 8.3 inches shorter than the three-row Highlander. It has two rows of seats and would hypothetically compete with models such as the Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Edge, and Honda Passport. Toyota does currently offer the 4Runner as its two-row mid-size SUV option, but that model is truck-based and more off-road-oriented while the Harrier is based on the same TNGA unibody architecture as many other Toyota passenger-car models.

Powertrains for the Japanese-market Harrier include a 2.0-liter inline-four with 169 hp paired with a CVT and a hybrid system that uses a 2.5-liter inline-four and electric motors to produce a total output of between 215 and 219 hp. If it comes to the U.S., we might expect to see the hybrid drivetrain offered along with a more powerful turbo-four or V-6 option.

Toyota USA representatives aren't commenting on the Harrier at this point, so we don't have any official word on its possible U.S. availability. But check out the images of the new model and let us know if you think it's a good idea for Toyota to bring it here.

Source
Old 04-17-20, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I bet this is the new Venza for the US. I like the interior.
Old 04-17-20, 12:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was wondering the same exact thing.
Old 04-17-20, 01:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems to make sense--how many crossovers between a Highlander and RAV4 can Toyota have? Personally, I'd rather see them keep the name Harrier over Venza.
Old 04-17-20, 01:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Attractive interior, ugly exterior. Squashed rear is too similar to the lamented Honda Crossturd/Acura ZDX.
I think if this came, it may hurt more than help. It could easily steal sales away from the Rav4 and Highlander shoppers.
Old 04-17-20, 02:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The interior is great as an evolutionary RX. Interesting as heck, since one rides on the old K platform while this one is the ground up TGNA.

Edit: The exterior looks like an updated 2nd Gen RX. Not bad if its suppose to take over the reigns of the 4Runner space.
Old 04-17-20, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting concept, but both the RAV-4 and Harrier sell so well in the U.S. that I'm not sure there's a real need bridge the gap. The RAV-4 is arguably the largest-selling crossover, period.
Old 04-17-20, 03:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting concept, but both the RAV-4 and Harrier sell so well in the U.S. that I'm not sure there's a real need bridge the gap. The RAV-4 is arguably the largest-selling crossover, period.
There is always room for more TOYOTA
Old 04-17-20, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is always room for more TOYOTA

Well, not always. First, if that was the case, they would bring over the Toyota Century, which IMO is more of a proper luxury-sedan than the Lexus LS500. Second, they tried marketing the mid-engine MR2 here three different times, and neither one was very successful.
Old 04-17-20, 05:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, not always. First, if that was the case, they would bring over the Toyota Century, which IMO is more of a proper luxury-sedan than the Lexus LS500. Second, they tried marketing the mid-engine MR2 here three different times, and neither one was very successful.
Would be a Honda Passport competitor. Hard sell for Honda thus far, but I assume the Venza faithful would love it.

Toyota I assume is really doing the BMW ethos of catering every single inch of the SUV/XUV market. LCs going down market, Venzas coming back. 4R is supposedly being refreshed....Gonna be interesting to how they avoid stepping on each others segment.
Old 04-17-20, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Would be a Honda Passport competitor. Hard sell for Honda thus far, but I assume the Venza faithful would love it.
I agree it might be a Passport competitor....but I wouldn't really link it to the Venza. The Venza was a little closer to the Outback in concept....more of a raised-suspension Station Wagon than what I would call a true crossover or SUV.
Old 04-19-20, 06:03 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

This is what the Highlander used to be in Toyota 's lineup until they bloated it into a 3 row behemoth. I know since I owned 2 of the original Highlanders.

It's the perfect size. I like what they did to the spindle grill. They cut the top third off and made it pleasing to the eye.

I hope they bring it back in hybrid/EV form.
Old 04-20-20, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Very sleek interior. Toyota has some beautiful designs lately. LC, 2nd gen Mirai, Harrier now IMO
Old 04-20-20, 11:23 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Very sleek interior. Toyota has some beautiful designs lately. LC, 2nd gen Mirai, Harrier now IMO
Agreed, that contrast in color on the center stack that runs down through the middle armrest is an interest design choice. Toyota has come a long way since just a generation of cars ago.
Old 04-21-20, 02:16 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

It looks good. It seems like they have plenty of crossovers and SUV’s as it is though.

Quick Reply: C&D: Harrier Could be a Perfect Fit for US