Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus getting rid of most V8s

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 07:14 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
there are balance and NVH issues when running half the cylinders, not all engine configs can do it well.
you're talking about while idling? either way my parents leased a 2014 and 2016 MDX which had honda's variable cylinder management and that ran smooth as can be, although i think it does have some kind of fancy fluid filled engine mounts or something

have you experienced cylinder deactivating engines that are noticeably rough?
Old 04-27-20, 07:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Toyota / Lexus missed the whole V8 turbo phase over last 10years.
Now it spent a bunch of $$$ on a new V8 TT and can’t even put it in any of its models due to new environmental regs lol. This is what happens when you’re caught flat footed as it is for many other things they fell behind on.

Now inline 6s are all the rage while Lexus has 3.5 V6 turbo that seems like old tech and still only available in LS with 3yrs on market. If this is not waste of resources- I don’t know what is. These old farts in Japan sitting on the board or management must be asleep at the wheel.
Old 04-27-20, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why would they want this? It matters in countries where they tax on engine size, but that (fortunately) isn't the U.S. (yet).
Why didn’t you buy the 5.0 G90? You went for a 3.3 twin turbo....you should have some valuable insight in this situation
Old 04-27-20, 08:23 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting move but getting with the times it looks like.
Old 04-27-20, 09:52 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I also suspect that cylinder deactivation would be an ideal way of gaining efficiency if done cleverly so that the switching was never noticeable. The power of a V8 when needed, the efficiency of a 4 when at idle.

One thing I've never understood about a turbo engine--in order to prevent detonation at boost, a turbo engine needs to have a lower compression ratio. This lower ratio would imply that engine efficiency would be lower also, the opposite of an Atkinson engine's very high expansion ratio.

So perhaps the big drivers of the turbo movement are (a) size and weight reduction under the hood, (b) reduced fuel consumption at idle, and (c) lowered taxes from reduced displacement, a big deal in some countries.

As an aside I once had a Honda motorcycle that was the guinea pig for an aftermarket turbo kit. We needed to enlarge the piston eyebrows significantly in order to reduce the compression ratio. Otherwise the engine would probably self-destruct from detonation when under boost. Interesting project; the engine would do nothing under full throttle until 6,000rpm, then it felt like a giant hand was shoving you in the rear end all the way up to the (new) 12,000rpm redline (another reason for enlarging the piston eyebrows, which provided clearance in the event of a missed shift and valve float). Bike was a handful.
Old 04-27-20, 10:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

cylinder deactivation seemed is outdated with the rise of hybrids and BEVs.

The goal of both is to gain efficiency but in cylinder deactivation those 4 cylinders you shut off remain become deadweight you have to lug around (that before we get into the mechanical tidbits). Plus you can only use the deactivation in low load, constant speed situations

I think imho its smarter just to run a hybrid FI system as both propulsion systems can properly supplement each other at all stages of normal drivecycles (which i suspect is what Toyota is moving towards)

If you cant give me a proper normal V8 with all cylinders firing all the time, why bother?
Old 04-27-20, 11:46 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If you cant give me a proper normal V8 with all cylinders firing all the time, why bother?
why do you want all 8 cylinders constantly firing when you're stopped at a light, in traffic, or just cruising along at slow speeds?

as you can see from my vehicle choice I'm clearly a fan of V8s, but there's plenty of times when there's no benefit from the extra cylinders
Old 04-27-20, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why didn’t you buy the 5.0 G90? You went for a 3.3 twin turbo....you should have some valuable insight in this situation
thanks. g90's with 5.0 often came with awd and just about always with an 'ultimate' package that has rear seat screens and all kinds of rear seat features which I would rarely EVER use (and not me, just some lucky slob sitting back there ). so the $3-5K diff. wasn't worth it to me.
I know you've brought up lexus hp figures a lot and the lexus ls 3.5tt is obviously a powerful engine. but the 3.3tt in my g90 may be 'only' specified as 365hp but it's ANYTHING but slow or sluggish. I suspect it's underrated. it does have multiple modes and the sport mode makes the transmission and gas pedal responsiveness much more aggressive and it positively leaps off the line and forward. anything faster for me would be a waste.

so as much as I, like you, have a soft spot for v8's, when I test drove the ttv6 I knew right away, plenty smooth enough, PLENTY fast enough, a lot less $$ than the v8. sold.
Old 04-27-20, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks. g90's with 5.0 often came with awd and just about always with an 'ultimate' package that has rear seat screens and all kinds of rear seat features which I would rarely EVER use (and not me, just some lucky slob sitting back there ). so the $3-5K diff. wasn't worth it to me.
I know you've brought up lexus hp figures a lot and the lexus ls 3.5tt is obviously a powerful engine. but the 3.3tt in my g90 may be 'only' specified as 365hp but it's ANYTHING but slow or sluggish. I suspect it's underrated. it does have multiple modes and the sport mode makes the transmission and gas pedal responsiveness much more aggressive and it positively leaps off the line and forward. anything faster for me would be a waste.

so as much as I, like you, have a soft spot for v8's, when I test drove the ttv6 I knew right away, plenty smooth enough, PLENTY fast enough, a lot less $$ than the v8. sold.
Well, I think you just nailed it as to why manufacturers are offering turbos. it is the lower cost which allows them to offer more performance for the dollar.

I only criticize the 3.3 V6tt Genesis because people like to crap on the 3.5tt by Lexus, but 416hp splits the difference between the S class V6tt or V8tt...it is a very good engine with some excellent tech....the operating costs of the V6tt by Lexus are superior to both Genesis V6/V8 as well as Mercedes Benz V6/V8.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-28-20 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 02:45 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stroock639
why do you want all 8 cylinders constantly firing when you're stopped at a light, in traffic, or just cruising along at slow speeds?

as you can see from my vehicle choice I'm clearly a fan of V8s, but there's plenty of times when there's no benefit from the extra cylinders
Because the V8s more of an emotional purchase then logical for me at least. Heck I dislike the idle rev limiters some automakers implement in newer trucks with a V8.
Old 04-27-20, 03:17 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Because the V8s more of an emotional purchase then logical for me at least. Heck I dislike the idle rev limiters some automakers implement in newer trucks with a V8.
it's not just newer trucks, the E55 and crown vic both hold back when revving in neutral, the LS on the other hand lets those 32 japanese valves give it their all right up to the 6500 rpm fuel cutoff lol

my boy's 2003 vic had no limiter though
Old 04-27-20, 03:28 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i still don't know why cylinder deactivation isn't more prevalent, it really seems like the perfect solution... i guess the problem is a 4 liter engine with or without cylinder deactivation is still classed and taxed as a 4 liter engine
It's complicated to implement and is (thus?) prone to problems. As others have noted, it causes NVH issues especially when turning on/off and is not well-suited for certain engines because of balance problems (it's already difficult to "balance out" the piston movement of many engine configurations - imagine how much harder it is when you're also designing it to switch some cylinders off). It's not a new technology; Cadillac tried (and failed spectacularly due to reliability issues) at this as far back as the 1980s.

There is always new technology as far as cylinder deactivation; I believe Delphi is developing an engine management system that can shut off any number of cylinders at any time (usually it is only certain, and the same, cylinders that are turned off - which is what leads to some of the complications). But as always, it depends if the automakers want to pay for the new tech.

Originally Posted by riredale
One thing I've never understood about a turbo engine--in order to prevent detonation at boost, a turbo engine needs to have a lower compression ratio. This lower ratio would imply that engine efficiency would be lower also, the opposite of an Atkinson engine's very high expansion ratio.

So perhaps the big drivers of the turbo movement are (a) size and weight reduction under the hood, (b) reduced fuel consumption at idle, and (c) lowered taxes from reduced displacement, a big deal in some countries.
I think you understand perfectly. The shortcomings of turbochargers in terms of efficiency is obvious to anyone who understands how engines work. As I noted before in this thread, emissions regulations - not mpg savings - are the primary factor.

Last edited by gengar; 04-27-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Toyota / Lexus missed the whole V8 turbo phase over last 10years.
Now it spent a bunch of $$$ on a new V8 TT and can’t even put it in any of its models due to new environmental regs lol. This is what happens when you’re caught flat footed as it is for many other things they fell behind on.
Urhm, why wouldnt Toyota/Lexus be able to offer V8 TT on "any of new models due to new enviromental regs, lol".

That is not correct, lol.
Old 04-27-20, 03:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Urhm, why wouldnt Toyota/Lexus be able to offer V8 TT on "any of new models due to new enviromental regs, lol".

That is not correct, lol.
wasnt the LS600h trademark renewed?
Old 04-27-20, 03:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, I think you just nailed it as to why manufacturers are offering turbos. it is the lower cost which allows them to offer more performance for the dollar.

I only criticize the 3.3 V6tt Genesis because people like to crap on the 3.5tt by Lexus, but 416hp splits the difference between the S class V6tt or V8tt...it is a very good engine with some excellent tech....the operating costs of the V6tt by Lexus are superior to both Genesis V6/V8 as well as Mercedes Benz V6/V8.
I don't think people crap on the engine...just the application its in. Put it in the Lexus IS and it would probably fly!

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus getting rid of most V8s