Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus getting rid of most V8s

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 03:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
reading here RCF is 289g/km and M4 is 194 to 204g/km for emissions
If you guys are talking about CO2 emissions, they are directly related to fuel consumption. Less fuel, less CO2.
Old 04-27-20, 03:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
wasnt the LS600h trademark renewed?
yes, that will likely end up being hybrid based on 3.5tt engine...
Old 04-27-20, 03:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

cylinder deactivation seemed is outdated with the rise of hybrids and BEVs.

The goal of both is to gain efficiency but in cylinder deactivation those 4 cylinders you shut off remain become deadweight you have to lug around (that before we get into the mechanical tidbits). Plus you can only use the deactivation in low load, constant speed situations

I think imho its smarter just to run a hybrid FI system as both propulsion systems can properly supplement each other at all stages of normal drivecycles (which i suspect is what Toyota is moving towards)

If you cant give me a proper normal V8 with all cylinders firing all the time, why bother?
The battery in a hybrid is dead weight too. In any case, the purpose of cylinder deactivation opposes that of hybrids. Hybrids have huge advantage in stop-and-go city traffic. Cylinder deactivation is good for long highway cruises at constant speed.

To be clear, I wouldn't choose to have cylinder deactivation in any vehicle I own. It's just the question of the effectiveness versus turbocharging and why manufacturers choose one instead of the over.
Old 04-27-20, 03:47 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
If you guys are talking about CO2 emissions, they are directly related to fuel consumption. Less fuel, less CO2.
The discrepancy, of course, comes in how the testing is done. Another reason why environmental regulations are all largely BS and have had little impact on actually improving the environment.

As a side note, EU regs do include emissions other than CO2, which turbochargers apparently also have advantages at.

Last edited by gengar; 04-27-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The discrepancy, of course, comes in how the testing is done. Another reason why environmental regulations are all largely BS and have had little impact on actually improving the environment.
How come you are so opposed to turbos and the environmental regulations?

It's just the question of the effectiveness versus turbocharging and why manufacturers choose one instead of the over.
I think it has to do with marketing. A big 6.2, 400+ V8 in a Cadillac Escalade is more in line with what buyers expect versus a 400+hp, 3.5tt V6 in a Navigator. I know the Ford/Lincoln has done well, but so has Cadillac with their method.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-27-20 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 04:17 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
have you heard the LFA?
Old 04-27-20, 04:42 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

I'm fine with environmental regulations that do what they claim they are supposed to do. I'm not fine with bureaucracy and BS that causes automotive manufacturers to spend billions of dollars trying to exploit loopholes and taking advantage of testing parameters to design vehicles that don't actually benefit the environment. VW's emissions scandal, for example, was completely predicated on these flawed tests.

Remember that when these companies spend billions of dollars on this stuff, that's the consumer's - meaning your - money. So if there is no measurable improvement as a result of this expenditure, or if the money could have been better spent elsewhere to implement meaningful change, then this is just bureaucracy and big government screwing over the little guy.
Old 04-27-20, 04:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm fine with environmental regulations that do what they claim they are supposed to do. I'm not fine with bureaucracy and BS that causes automotive manufacturers to spend billions of dollars trying to exploit loopholes and taking advantage of testing parameters to design vehicles that don't actually benefit the environment. VW's emissions scandal, for example, was completely predicated on these flawed tests.

Remember that when these companies spend billions of dollars on this stuff, that's the consumer's - meaning your - money. So if there is no measurable improvement as a result of this expenditure, or if the money could have been better spent elsewhere to implement meaningful change, then this is just bureaucracy and big government screwing over the little guy.
So how would the turbo be BS in contrast to a larger engine? I would interested in your opinion, I always thought Toyota would go turbo on the Toyota brand lineup and I was quite surprised they went with their non-turbo dynamic force engines. (Compared or how Honda went turbo). Look forward to your response. Hopefully, only you will respond.
Old 04-27-20, 05:01 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

So how would the turbo be BS in contrast to a larger engine? I would interested in your opinion, I always thought Toyota would go turbo on the Toyota brand lineup and I was quite surprised they went with their non-turbo dynamic force engines. (Compared or how Honda went turbo). Look forward to your response. Hopefully, only you will respond.
Again, nothing wrong with turbo, just like there's nothing wrong with environmental regulations. There's everything wrong with turbo (and environmental regulations) if it's just to beat bureaucratic governmental regulations that don't do anything.
Old 04-28-20, 11:54 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The battery in a hybrid is dead weight too. In any case, the purpose of cylinder deactivation opposes that of hybrids. Hybrids have huge advantage in stop-and-go city traffic. Cylinder deactivation is good for long highway cruises at constant speed.

To be clear, I wouldn't choose to have cylinder deactivation in any vehicle I own. It's just the question of the effectiveness versus turbocharging and why manufacturers choose one instead of the over.
Depends on how frequent that hybrid battery stays dormant. As you said the Cylinder tool requires very finite conditions to operate. Whereas a hybrid system can vary usage more frequently. Together, such as in the new yaris motor, the efficiency metric would increase. Cylinder deactivation by itself to me is pointless overcomplication due to the limited yield of return.
Old 04-28-20, 12:05 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know, I'd love to see data on the fuel flow of a big V8 at idle running 8, 6, 4, or even 2 cylinders. It seems to me that a big V8 running on 4 or 2 cylinders would have excellent fuel flow numbers, since the dormant cylinders wouldn't have pumping losses if the valves were shut and the only friction would be from the piston rings, but I don't know how much that is. Certainly Toyota could build an engine and computer that would make transitions virtually seamless. They certainly have a brilliant design in the hybrid drive of my RX. Buttery-smooth operation and the fuel economy of a diesel.
Old 04-28-20, 01:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

i feel like to fully be able to take advantage of cylinder deactivation you would need to be able to independently control the valves, so that the deactivated cylinders wouldn't be wasting energy opening and closing them

we need that koenigsegg free valve technology to be made public lol
Old 04-28-20, 01:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
plenty of examples out there of cars with similar mpg making significantly different emissions, you cant make a direct correlation with mpg. Its even in the example you quoted the RCF and M4 make similar mpg yet different emissions
Old 04-28-20, 03:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Honest question to the engineers on here, can anyone clarify how emissions on turbos operate throughout the rev range under load vs a NA motor?

my layman opinion here would be turbos kick NA vehicles under light load, but under full throttle romps the Turbo is worse then a NA motor?
Old 04-28-20, 03:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Honest question to the engineers on here, can anyone clarify how emissions on turbos operate throughout the rev range under load vs a NA motor?

my layman opinion here would be turbos kick NA vehicles under light load, but under full throttle romps the Turbo is worse then a NA motor?
been a while since i saw this one but maybe it will help

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus getting rid of most V8s