Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus getting rid of most V8s

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 05:03 PM
S2Kiwi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbos are not more efficient though. It's impossible to be more efficient when acting as an exhaust impediment when you are mostly out of boost at low power output/cruising/around town. They're just cheaper as you can design a tiny ****box that sputters out emissions at low output, then gives some rubber band power under boost it at the expense of reliability down the road for the customer.
When you are in boost that thing is running richer than an equivalent NA due to safety margins and the rest. Turbos are a meme and a way to get you to pay down the road for your poor buying decisions. More complexity, more stuff to fail and more to fix and pay the stealership/parts manufacturer.

Edit to add an example of efficiency of V8s from real world. Engine size means almost nothing these days.
Stock S2000 'LEV' 2L screamer vs 50s pushrod power 376/6.2L LS V8 swap.
Swap is +30-60kg and most is in the gearbox. Torque is more than tripled with an LS3.
Due to gearing, piston speed/friction losses, 12 years of CFD and more torque at idle than a K24 at peak, an LS3 swapped S2000 is more efficient than the 2L stock 'going out of round bores' F20C. By at least 10-20%..
It triggers the hell out of honda fanboys when I tell them that, but it's the truth. Efficiency isn't just engine size/type.. it's overall configuration and design.

Put that same LS3 on a 4.1 rear with very close ratio box that's highly geared and you'll probably get similar efficiency to the F20C as it'll be spinning faster now.

Last edited by S2Kiwi; 04-29-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-29-20, 05:41 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Can't forget 'bout TRD's pushrod Toyota engine thou........Ecoboost= its more boost then eco for sure.....Another words, go w/ the 5.0. Got to like how Ford came out w/ their new pushrod v/8....as thats a great needed upgrade for the 6.2 v/8 & the 6.8 v/10 motor.....Yea the 'stroke is a $12000.00 w/ the auto, but the new '20 'stroke is a massive upgrade & then you throw that into a Lariat w/ (new for '20) the Tremor package which my brother has a blk one, on order. Great to see V/8's thanx to GM w/ their new LT motors as well as the few varies Ford v/8's including the 5.2 w/ the 180 degree crank + can't forget about FCA's w/ their gen3 Hemi's, my fav is the basic Apache 485hp......as well as the stupid simple bullet proof 6.1......which all it needs is a Muscleperformance deep sump pan & a set of Kook's 2'' headers....
Old 04-29-20, 07:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Toyota truck V-8s = worst mpg of ANY manufacturer, but very reliable.
Toyota hybrids = reliable, but not really worth the extra cost of a gasoline engine. My RX 450h is a huge disappointment & does NOT get anywhere near the claimed mpg.
toyota sells nowhere near as many trucks as the big 3. Big 3 have a greater incentive to up their truck mpg for their fleet average
Old 04-29-20, 11:31 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Never loose sight of the fact that the truck craze is phase in automobile history. Remember the big block gaz guzzler with the fancy wings. They brutally disappeared when the oil crisis started. You just need an unforseen crisis again, and suddenly, nobody will be able to afford an unreliable car with a 25'000$ price tag that gulps half more fuel by design. Also for electric vehicules, the SUV form is amongst the worst form that you can use for long range capable EV.

Also, we already had plenty of cars with disconnectable cylinders. And they where all a sh_t shows. From a reliability standpoint, those where not the good years in this matter. And there is good reasons why their builders got away with those concepts pretty quickly. I don't know exatly why, but it brings more problems than benefits. For a V8, or better, an inline 6, I would rather see water injection becoming a thing in a not so distant future.

One trend I see incoming, and that could be a golden middleway, are the big blocks inline 3's. BMW brought his 1.5L i3, Toyota has now a 1.6 i3, and Koenigsegg brings a 600 hp 2L i3. The advantages of i3's in friction, small packaging and low mass are evident. The vibrations are more present during the run, but the levels of diesel cars or older 4cyl aren't reached either.
Old 04-30-20, 06:26 AM
Lexusbarbe
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will stick with my 98 gs400...v6 doesn't feel the same to me anymore
Old 04-30-20, 10:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Never loose sight of the fact that the truck craze is phase in automobile history. Remember the big block gaz guzzler with the fancy wings. They brutally disappeared when the oil crisis started. You just need an unforseen crisis again, and suddenly, nobody will be able to afford an unreliable car with a 25'000$ price tag that gulps half more fuel by design. Also for electric vehicules, the SUV form is amongst the worst form that you can use for long range capable EV.

Also, we already had plenty of cars with disconnectable cylinders. And they where all a sh_t shows. From a reliability standpoint, those where not the good years in this matter. And there is good reasons why their builders got away with those concepts pretty quickly. I don't know exatly why, but it brings more problems than benefits. For a V8, or better, an inline 6, I would rather see water injection becoming a thing in a not so distant future.

One trend I see incoming, and that could be a golden middleway, are the big blocks inline 3's. BMW brought his 1.5L i3, Toyota has now a 1.6 i3, and Koenigsegg brings a 600 hp 2L i3. The advantages of i3's in friction, small packaging and low mass are evident. The vibrations are more present during the run, but the levels of diesel cars or older 4cyl aren't reached either.
Oh is that what we need? Thanks. Gas is cheap in America (1.49/gal), even when it spikes. I doubt we'll see expensive gas (over $3) for a very long time. Even with that I still gladly drive a 12mpg truck. Those teeny boxes over there with 1.3 liter engines don't do it for me, sorry.
Old 05-01-20, 12:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I sure as hell won’t be buying a freak’n 3 cylinder piece of garbage. BTW, my 6.2L V-8 gets better Highway mileage than my 450h. It does NOT have cylinder deactivation either.
Old 05-01-20, 12:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I sure as hell won’t be buying a freak’n 3 cylinder piece of garbage. BTW, my 6.2L V-8 gets better Highway mileage than my 450h. It does NOT have cylinder deactivation either.
In some European countries you have a tax on your engine size. And of course gas is insanely more expensive. It's over $6/gal in some countries I have a buddy in the UK who always snaps me pics of him accelerating (in his slow Mini), driving fast over there. I did a 0-60 video in the IS350 back to him and he was like "you can't be serious." Kinda funny.

And yes, V8 for life.
Old 05-01-20, 05:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

ill definitely think about a 3 cylinder when I need to haul 800 pounds of mulch for the house
Old 05-01-20, 05:29 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

If a 3.5l permanent atkinson cycle engine gets worse mileage compared to a 6.2 anything, you're doing something terribly, TERRIBLY wrong

As for the turbo downsizing direct injection craze - it has to disappear, like yesterday, but good luck with that in Europe - despite everything, small block "city" diesels are still being made.

Fun fact - my 450h here is more expensive to tax than:
-Anything 3UZ - barely, but still
-Anything diesel with comparable performance, and these are stupidly easy to remap, and always are. The amount of gutted rolling coal BMW M/N57s is... interesting.

Gas costs about the same as diesel ("regular" slightly less, "premium" slightly more - all within 10%).

Taxes generally are based on max horsepower, lab CO2, vehicle weight and engine size - where I live (Bulgaria) it's engine size + horsepower (of the ICE - any EV stuff is tax-free). Fairly obvious why people go for turbos/diesels - maintenance/longevity/actual long-term (and short-term but whatever) emissions performance be damned.
Old 05-01-20, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

hwy mileage isnt a hybrids forte, they are designed to excel in the city
Old 05-01-20, 05:47 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

The atkinson engine (well, L/EIVC) is still an advantage at highway speeds, nevermind the displacement difference. Unless you're doing constant ridiculous speeds (150mph constant or whatever), I'm not sure how the RX can be worse than an SS in the mileage department
Old 05-01-20, 06:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

not sure what year RX but the first RX450h made 27mpg, a 17 camaro SS makes 25 mpg highway
Old 05-01-20, 07:00 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not sure what year RX but the first RX450h made 27mpg, a 17 camaro SS makes 25 mpg highway
Didnt know the camaro SS was also a 5 door crossover?
Old 05-01-20, 07:08 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Alright that was sobering, just read up on it a bit more - the RX's highway mileage is indeed not so good, especially compared to the 4th gen GS. Didn't think it'd be in the ballpark of around 25 vs 35mpg at 70mph O_O

I guess drag & weight do play a role

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus getting rid of most V8s