Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had a flat tire on the highway for the first time in 20 years...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 08:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Car looks good and I even like the wheels that are on it compared to some on the newer Lexus’.

As far as the spare, even though I don’t have one on two of my cars it can be beneficial at times, even a donut. When I hit a pothole around 1:00am last year in my IS350 it popped the tire instantly and bent the rim so no plug would have worked. I called Lexus roadside assistance but they would have taken 30 minutes to get to me and it was 17 degrees out. I changed the tire myself in 10 minutes and went home. I was pretty happy about that.
Old 04-29-20, 08:46 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

being a RWD model too makes it even more of a reason to keep it around for awhile

i really wish my cars had TPMS... the e-class once had a slow leak in the rr tire, and on the highway i really didn't notice but after getting back into town and taking sharper turns i noticed the back was a bit wobbly, the tire had to be replaced from the sidewall being all chewed up on the inside, i guess from driving at those speeds with too little air lol... wasn't a pretty sight all these little loose bits of rubber all inside the tire

glad you were able to catch it in time to avoid possibly hurting the LS and maybe even yourself
Old 04-29-20, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Finally, someone who keeps rims and tailpipes clean! Well done.

Old 04-30-20, 03:21 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

It’s good to hear you made it off the highway safely without damaging your wheels. I’ve never seen your LS until now. It looks amazing in Liquid Platinum and has a classy look to it.

Those 460L’s were so big and roomy.
Old 04-30-20, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Thanks guys! Yep I keep it pretty clean. Got the new tires going on it tomorrow at 11.

Originally Posted by patgilm
As far as the spare, even though I don’t have one on two of my cars it can be beneficial at times, even a donut. When I hit a pothole around 1:00am last year in my IS350 it popped the tire instantly and bent the rim so no plug would have worked. I called Lexus roadside assistance but they would have taken 30 minutes to get to me and it was 17 degrees out. I changed the tire myself in 10 minutes and went home. I was pretty happy about that.
Yeah all things considered I'd rather have a spare. If I had runflats though I wouldn't be that worried if I swapped them and didn't have one.

My Pacifica actually has no run flats and also no spare!
Old 04-30-20, 07:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So, had a flat tire on the highway today for the first time in 20 years. I know we've discussed runflats here before and replacing them and not having a spare. Was driving along and my TPMS went off, went from 34PSI to 20 within about a mile. I was able to pull off the highway and into a school parking lot (obviously empty right now). Called Lexus roadside who dispatched AAA who was there in about 10 minutes.

I had the spare out and everything when he got there, but he actually plugged it instead of putting the spare on. I needed new tires anyways and the puncture is in the shoulder so it needs to be replaced, but the plug got me home and will get me out tomorrow or the next day to get a new set of tires.

So again, not having a spare doesn't really bother me.
10 minute response time is pretty impressive. That's not my typical experience; but I'm assuming because of the reduction in number of cars on the road.

I have runflats, but my preference is to have a spare. But after 5 years with RFTs, I would do that again....if that's how the car came.

What I won't do is rely only on an inflator kit.
Old 04-30-20, 07:24 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great that they were able to plug even on the shoulder. Who are you using for the new tires?

Old 04-30-20, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
10 minute response time is pretty impressive. That's not my typical experience; but I'm assuming because of the reduction in number of cars on the road.

I have runflats, but my preference is to have a spare. But after 5 years with RFTs, I would do that again....if that's how the car came.

What I won't do is rely only on an inflator kit.
Oh yeah, totally because there's much fewer people on the road. When they first set it up they said 68 minutes, and I got the spare out and started to do it myself and the guy called and said he'd be there in 5 minutes so I just waited.

Yeah, my Pacifica just has an inflator kit.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Great that they were able to plug even on the shoulder. Who are you using for the new tires?
Yeah, he made me promise just to drive it home and drive it to get new tires LOL

Radial Tire in Silver Spring. They are great, the only drawback has always been they don't do alignments, but now they do. They have them mounted and road force balanced for just about $10 more than what they were shipped from TireRack so thats a no brainer.
Old 04-30-20, 07:39 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, whatever punctured it was gone, but it was really just a hole, the plug holds air though.
And weakens the sidewall which is trying to support the weight of your vehicle. I can't believe he did that, If the tire blows out he should be liable for any damage.
Old 04-30-20, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
And weakens the sidewall which is trying to support the weight of your vehicle. I can't believe he did that, If the tire blows out he should be liable for any damage.
I was going 3 miles up the road, and 5 miles to the tire place. I've had tires plugged in the shoulder before, it'll be fine. If I was going to drive it until new tires were put on it I would have made him put on the spare, but my wife isn't going anywhere so I'm just driving the Pacifica today.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-30-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 07:47 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI it's the sidewall or tread area
Old 04-30-20, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its in the tread, its just in the shoulder. Not in the sidewall.
Old 04-30-20, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its like right where the nail is in this illustration

Old 04-30-20, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Tires have been developed (and produced) that have internal-sealing that prevents nails and other objects from breaking through that internal sealing and causing a puncture, but the basic problem with them is that the internal-sealant tends to slide around inside the tire as it rolls and throw the tire/wheel assembly off-balance. Doesn't take much, especially with today's precision-cast alloy wheels....that's why balance-machines are calibrated to minute fractions of a ounce.
Old 04-30-20, 08:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Some random thoughts

Tires are the most ignored and least respected part of a car
It is wonderful having much less traffic even at peak times I love it
Pollution in cities is noticeably lower, somewhat surprising to me I suspect on average cars are not running as clean as I assumed
Lexus needs to get back to their roots and stop chasing the "cutting edge styling" people didn't care when they were called boring
I've never had a flat while driving

Quick Reply: Had a flat tire on the highway for the first time in 20 years...