Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had a flat tire on the highway for the first time in 20 years...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I've had a couple that I discovered when I was parked, but this is the first time I've had one while driving since right after I got a drivers license.

And I agree about Lexus styling, they're getting better at finding their way but some of the stuff is just...egads.
Old 04-30-20, 08:48 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I'm so glad you and the car are safe. It never occurred to me to leave TPMS on the screen, but I will now. Even with cell phones and more assistance vehicles on the road, 45-60 minutes is a common wait time, I've read this on camper and boating forums. That's the downside of not having your own gear to plug and inflate a tire. I'd do like you, wait five minutes and then get bored waiting and start to unpack my trunk! Hope you can get a great deal on new tires.
Old 04-30-20, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks! Yeah of all the displays the TPMS seems to be the most useful LOL. I leave range at the top and TPMS underneath.

I think I got a pretty good deal. Replacing them with the new version of the same tire, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II, Tire Rack had them for $940 shipped, a local place I use is selling them to me for $965 mounted and road force balanced so that sounds good to me.
Old 04-30-20, 08:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I had it happen to me once on my IS a few years back. I was on a day trip, rushing back to the ferry dock to get on the boat and headed back home in time for dinner. All of a sudden my TPMS light came on. I pulled up the display and it showed my right from tire down around 28 psi and going down fairly quickly. I pulled over and did a quick search for a tire repair place. Luckily there was one about a mile away so I made it there just in time. They repaired the tire and I was back on the road in an hour or so. But I missed the boat..

Every other time I've had a flat has been at home. Come out to the garage and find one tire flat.
Old 04-30-20, 10:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Stinks about the flat, glad it wasn't too big of a deal. In other news, jealous of how clean you appear to keep your car! Looks amazing.
Old 04-30-20, 02:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its like right where the nail is in this illustration

Don't mean to highjack this thread, but the above picture is so accurate and timely. I have to ask in hopes someone may know. I got a screw in the exact spot a few months ago, which was sticking out quite a bit. No loss of air. Of course not knowing how long these are since the end is hidden inside, I slowly started to twist it out. About a quarter inch more came out. No leaks since, so everything is good there. But now in the back of my mind, I'm always thinking that spot on the sidewall may now be compromised if/when I go around a turn a bit faster sometime in the future. Or should I just assume because there is no leak, I have not entered into any danger zone? Just curious.
Old 04-30-20, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Don't mean to highjack this thread, but the above picture is so accurate and timely. I have to ask in hopes someone may know. I got a screw in the exact spot a few months ago, which was sticking out quite a bit. No loss of air. Of course not knowing how long these are since the end is hidden inside, I slowly started to twist it out. About a quarter inch more came out. No leaks since, so everything is good there. But now in the back of my mind, I'm always thinking that spot on the sidewall may now be compromised if/when I go around a turn a bit faster sometime in the future. Or should I just assume because there is no leak, I have not entered into any danger zone? Just curious.
I've had that experience a couple of times (pull nail/screw out, with no leaks), and, although I'm not an aggressive driver by any means, and can't say would happen if really pushing it, I've never had any trouble after that in normal driving. Today's tires are made with very durable belts of steel-cord (or other materials) under the rubber/silicone tread, and, while not foolproof, are not likely to fail over something that small.

Here's a video, from Michelin, on how today's tires are produced:

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 04:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've had that experience a couple of times (pull nail/screw out, with no leaks), and, although I'm not an aggressive driver by any means, and can't say would happen if really pushing it, I've never had any trouble after that in normal driving. Today's tires are made with very durable belts made of steel-cord (or other materials) under the rubber/silicone tread, and, while not foolproof, are not likely to fail over something that small.
I would tend to agree with all that. I'm probably over-worrying it. I inspect my tires every week and make it a point to drive next to a wall with windows down. That's when you hear the "tick tick tick" thing and know you have something in a tire. The sooner one knows there's something in a tire, the higher the odds are it could pulled out before it causes a leak.
Old 04-30-20, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. If no air was leaking, then it was just in the rubber husk of the tire and didn't actually puncture it.
Old 04-30-20, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Everybody knows I'm not a fan of hard-riding low-profile tires, but to be honest, that is one of the very few things (besides quicker steering-response) they have over cushy-riding tall-profiles. The lower-stiffer sidewalls don't flex as much on curves as the taller ones, and put less lateral/bending-stress on any plugs or patches you might have inside the tire. The more sidewall you have (on a radial tire), the more it will flex, on cornering, under load....and the more pressure will be put on the tire-repairs inside that sidewall part of the tire. That is why many tire shops will not repair a radial tire with the puncture outside the tread-area, up on the sidewall....and some states outlaw it.

In Virginia, BTW, a tire will not pass safety-inspection with two plugs or patches in it, no matter where those patches are....it has to be replaced. Might be overdoing it a bit, but that's the state law.
Old 04-30-20, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Same here, it can only have one plug or patch.
Old 04-30-20, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Same here, it can only have one plug or patch.
On a different note, I didn't notice it before, but just did now......your TPS shows 41 PSI in the spare. Not sure about your car , but most temporary/donut spares require around 60 PSI cold. Might want to check that when you get a chance.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...49c67e644d.jpg

When I had that trouble in the Verano (with the BIG puncture) and had to change the rear tire in the parking lot, same wth me....my own temporary spare was down to 40-something PSI, (the Verano's TPS readout doesn't monitor the spare, as it is a much cheaper car than an LS). I carry a portable air-compressor with me at all times in my trunk, however (Never know when you or somebody else on the road will need it), and brought it back to the upper 50s before I put it on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a full-sized spare on a matching wheel, not a temporary spare. The PSI for the car is 33, so I just make sure its always higher so its always ready to go.
Old 04-30-20, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This isn't mine, this one has the 18" wheels but this is what the spare setup under the trunk floor looks like:

Old 04-30-20, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its a full-sized spare on a matching wheel, not a temporary spare. The PSI for the car is 33, so I just make sure its always higher so its always ready to go.

Aha. So Lexus gives you a REAL spare with this car. Excellent.

That's one of my beefs with many of today's vehicles I sample....although some trucks and off-road-capable SUVs still give you a real spare. I haven't driven the latest LS, but the last American-market sedan I sampled with a real spare was the Australian-sourced Holden/Chevy SS, and, as I recall, it was part of a $950 option-package.

Quick Reply: Had a flat tire on the highway for the first time in 20 years...