Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Welp, the RX is a goner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 11:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Welp, the RX is a goner...

Our RX350 is up in May, so have been looking around for a replacement SUV for my wife. We liked our RX as it has been reliable and given decent gas mileage, and we tried to stay we tried to stay in the Lexus family, however:

- the GX is so archaic even with all the "refresh". Really is lipstick on a pig
- although we like the styling of the UX, it is way too small and underpowered. Ditto for the NX
- the LX is too big and buiky for my wife to drive around
- and the RX refresh is okay, but was really hoping to go to the TNGA platform already, so basically more of the same

which brings me to our other choices:

- MDX is a good alternative, but my wife doesn't like the styling. Ditto the RDX
- GLC is okay too, but she's not a MB kind of person
- Q5/SQ5 is fine, but she doesn't like Audi (long story)

that leaves BMW and the X3. We originally wanted an X3 M40i, and was about to pull the trigger. Then upon taking the car to our house (quarantine laws), the sales manager saw my Zupra and started chatting about it. Then mentioned that he had an X3M at an unbelievable price. I was skeptical and thought it was a bait and switch, but sure enough the numbers were incredible (verified with my online Bimmer salesman firends). So tomorrow, we will take delivery of our X3M and say goodbye to the Lexus family for now. Im ecstatic given the rave reviews of the SUV, but also saddened because Im a Toyco/Lexus guy at heart (it took me forever to convince my wife to go to Lexus too). I wish the LQ or whatever the RWD LS based suv here to make it more difficult to leave, but such is the state of Toyco / Lexus these days.

Hope to have more pics of her tomorrow posted (and yes, I do plan to mod it as well lol)...

Old 04-29-20, 11:47 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, you really needed those 130 hp more, just to have this whale moving the same speed as a first gen Lexus IS.
Old 04-29-20, 11:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Yes, you really needed those 130 hp more, just to have this whale moving the same speed as a first gen Lexus IS.
Wut? The X3M does 0-60 in the mid 3 second range. It's faster than anything Lexus has ever made. Lol.
Old 04-30-20, 12:52 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the X3M, haven't seen much of them on the road, but online seen the reviews looks like a great beast of an SUV! My cousin has a 15 RX350 F-Sport before jumping to a 18 X3 M40i I could only imagine the X3 M even better! Enjoy it and happy modding! Looking forward to those pics!
Old 04-30-20, 03:05 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

Congratulations on the new car! I had no idea they made an X3M now. It looks pretty awesome!
Old 04-30-20, 05:22 AM
raiders3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Our RX350 is up in May, so have been looking around for a replacement SUV for my wife. We liked our RX as it has been reliable and given decent gas mileage, and we tried to stay we tried to stay in the Lexus family, however:

- the GX is so archaic even with all the "refresh". Really is lipstick on a pig
- although we like the styling of the UX, it is way too small and underpowered. Ditto for the NX
- the LX is too big and buiky for my wife to drive around
- and the RX refresh is okay, but was really hoping to go to the TNGA platform already, so basically more of the same

which brings me to our other choices:

- MDX is a good alternative, but my wife doesn't like the styling. Ditto the RDX
- GLC is okay too, but she's not a MB kind of person
- Q5/SQ5 is fine, but she doesn't like Audi (long story)

that leaves BMW and the X3. We originally wanted an X3 M40i, and was about to pull the trigger. Then upon taking the car to our house (quarantine laws), the sales manager saw my Zupra and started chatting about it. Then mentioned that he had an X3M at an unbelievable price. I was skeptical and thought it was a bait and switch, but sure enough the numbers were incredible (verified with my online Bimmer salesman firends). So tomorrow, we will take delivery of our X3M and say goodbye to the Lexus family for now. Im ecstatic given the rave reviews of the SUV, but also saddened because Im a Toyco/Lexus guy at heart (it took me forever to convince my wife to go to Lexus too). I wish the LQ or whatever the RWD LS based suv here to make it more difficult to leave, but such is the state of Toyco / Lexus these days.

Hope to have more pics of her tomorrow posted (and yes, I do plan to mod it as well lol)...

Congratulations!

Nice pic.
Old 04-30-20, 05:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
congratulations... you've won another prize for most obnoxious and negative comments on here.

someone (ST430) has just brought home a fabulous new vehicle and you only have negative things to say.
Old 04-30-20, 06:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

congrats, let us know how it is!
Old 04-30-20, 06:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congratulations... you've won another prize for most obnoxious and negative comments on here.

someone (ST430) has just brought home a fabulous new vehicle and you only have negative things to say.
Those comments are uninformed too.
Old 04-30-20, 07:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Excellent choice! Congratulations!
Old 04-30-20, 07:03 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wonderful! Great companion to the Zupra. BMW leases continue to make them hard to pass up. At some point they'll have to ease back on all the residual subvention, etc. But until then, plenty of great cars to enjoy at a steal of a monthly cost.

Our X5 isn't an M, just a 40i, but the turbo inline 6's, as in both of yours as well, is just so creamy smooth.
Old 04-30-20, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Congratulations....hope you enjoy it. Although it can be hard to keep clean, you will probably like having that white paint job in the hot sun this summer....white stays cooler. than other colors.

If you plan to keep it past the 4-year warranty, though, as with any BMW, might want to consider a warranty-extension.
Old 04-30-20, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Awesome! Huge upgrade. Your wife is stylin' now. And think of how much more quickly she'll get everywhere lol
Old 04-30-20, 08:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Awesome pick up and I felt the same as you when I went to a BMW from a long life of Toyota/Lexus. I really like my M340 but will likely trade it in when the new M3 comes out (if it ever does) unless I can’t get past the ugly grille in the spy shots.
Old 04-30-20, 08:34 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! We recently were comparing X3 M40i to the RX F Sport we eventually bought too. If it was for me, I would have made the same decision as you, but since my wife likes the soft ride of the RX, we went that way. Anyhow, curious, how good of a deal you got to go from the M40i to an X3 M.

Quick Reply: Welp, the RX is a goner...