Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has anyone driven both the 2.0t and 2.4 Santa Fe (2019-2020)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 05:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Has anyone driven both the 2.0t and 2.4 Santa Fe (2019-2020)?

I think it might be the perfect vehicle for my mom who is shopping to replace her 2001 Highlander that she bought new. She doesn't want 3 rows, has driven the new Highlander and feels it's too big. She's driven a few other things (Subaru, Mazda CX-5, CX-9) and the Kia Sorento. The new Santa Fe looks good to her, has 2 rows, and comes loaded with tech and comfort features on the Limited package (what she would get) - but she can also choose between the 2.0t and 2.4. She has a V6 Highlander which puts out about 220HP I believe - the 2.0t would be closest HP-wise, but I'm just not savvy on engine technology to know if she should avoid this and go with the traditional 2.4L. Obviously the Hyundai will come with a really nice warranty on powertrain but we all know it can be a headache dealing with an unreliable car even covered under warranty.

She's not looking for a sporty ride and lives in FL with no elevation/hills. Appreciate any insight and first-hand knowledge.
Old 04-30-20, 07:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We ended up buying a 2019 Santa Fe 2.0T Ultimate (Ultimate is gone for 2020, but all the content is now on the Limited) for my mother in law last year. She drove both the 2.4 and the 2.0T, and felt the 2.0T was better. This coming from a woman who drove a 15 year old 4 cylinder Accord! We had also drive the last gen Outback. Similarly she didn't like the base engine, and preferred the 6 cylinder (new outback obviously has uplevel turbo 4 in lieu of 6 cylinder). She's not gunning it around town (that I know of haha), but over a year in and nothing to note so far. I for sure had bet on her being okay with the base engine, but she appreciated the extra pep.

She loves the HUD, blind spot detection, Heated steering wheel, etc. Also loves the remote start, but it's through the app only, wish it was keyfob based. App is free for 3 years I believe.

Old 04-30-20, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I haven't driven it, but I did sit in it at the dealer when I was looking at a Palisade and they are very nice.
Old 04-30-20, 08:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
We ended up buying a 2019 Santa Fe 2.0T Ultimate (Ultimate is gone for 2020, but all the content is now on the Limited) for my mother in law last year. She drove both the 2.4 and the 2.0T, and felt the 2.0T was better. This coming from a woman who drove a 15 year old 4 cylinder Accord! We had also drive the last gen Outback. Similarly she didn't like the base engine, and preferred the 6 cylinder (new outback obviously has uplevel turbo 4 in lieu of 6 cylinder). She's not gunning it around town (that I know of haha), but over a year in and nothing to note so far. I for sure had bet on her being okay with the base engine, but she appreciated the extra pep.

She loves the HUD, blind spot detection, Heated steering wheel, etc. Also loves the remote start, but it's through the app only, wish it was keyfob based. App is free for 3 years I believe.
Excellent, thank you. I was wondering what happened to the Ultimate... appreciate you explaining it. She'll love the remote start, even with it being on the app as opposed to the key fob (and you're right on 3 years being included). The Santa Fe seems like an incredible value - and I love some of the features of the limited - heated and ventillated seats, the blind spot detection that shows up in the digital display, HUD, pano roof, etc. Lots of soft touch areas (from pics, I haven't sat in one yet) - has some of the same interior appointments as the Palisade but not quite as upscale. Rear cargo area seems perfect for her and I like the "cubbies" of extra storage underneath. It would be a huge upgrade for my mom and I personally think it's a better value than a Highlander given her buying criteria.
Old 04-30-20, 08:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I haven't driven it, but I did sit in it at the dealer when I was looking at a Palisade and they are very nice.
Seems like one of the better remaining 2 row CUV's that I have investigated for her. Having watched a few reviews, a lot of people are pointing out how quiet it is (double pane glass up front I believe helps) with one reviewer who measures dB reading on the same road saying it was quieter than an RX. She's looking for a comfortable ride, the right size (this is within 2" in every measurement of her Highlander), some tech (BSM, etc) and an infotainment system that isn't overly complex. I feel like this may check all the boxes. I was blown away at the interior of the Palisade when I sat in one, so if this is even remotely close and rides well, I think she'll buy it.
Old 04-30-20, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I would agree. I also like that it feels like an SUV still while a lot of two rows don't, like the Ford Edge as an example.
Old 04-30-20, 10:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Excellent, thank you. I was wondering what happened to the Ultimate... appreciate you explaining it. She'll love the remote start, even with it being on the app as opposed to the key fob (and you're right on 3 years being included). The Santa Fe seems like an incredible value - and I love some of the features of the limited - heated and ventillated seats, the blind spot detection that shows up in the digital display, HUD, pano roof, etc. Lots of soft touch areas (from pics, I haven't sat in one yet) - has some of the same interior appointments as the Palisade but not quite as upscale. Rear cargo area seems perfect for her and I like the "cubbies" of extra storage underneath. It would be a huge upgrade for my mom and I personally think it's a better value than a Highlander given her buying criteria.
I have a 19 2.0T Ultimate AWD. I didn't even consider the 2.4. Very happy with the purchase.

I've read all the stuff on 2.0T lag, and uneven power delivery. My experience is that only happens if you are flooring it. If your mom drives like I would assume an empty nester mom would drive a Santa Fe, I don't think she'll have any complaints with the 2.0T.
Old 04-30-20, 01:04 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have a 19 2.0T Ultimate AWD. I didn't even consider the 2.4. Very happy with the purchase.

I've read all the stuff on 2.0T lag, and uneven power delivery. My experience is that only happens if you are flooring it. If your mom drives like I would assume an empty nester mom would drive a Santa Fe, I don't think she'll have any complaints with the 2.0T.
Great feedback, thank you. HP-wise I think I'd rather her get the 2.0t because it gets close to her Highlander and would likely feel the same to her. Without me being able to drive either one (yet), just trying to guide her into anything to potentially lean towards or avoid.
Old 04-30-20, 02:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

My dad has the 2.0T in his 2015 and it's been a great motor. Plenty of punch and no complaints of uneven power delivery. It's also been reliable, having just done regular routine maintenance. I think the new Santa Fe is a lot of vehicle for the money and she would be very satisfied with it.

Old 05-07-20, 07:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

My mom pulled the trigger - she got a white 2.4 Limited with grey & espresso leather interior and picked it up the other day. I have to say I think it was the absolute perfect vehicle for her- tons of safety technology, beautiful interior, perfect size for what she wanted, a very comfortable ride, and styling that she likes. She got interior and exterior protection, upgraded the entire vehicle to have 10 year 100K mile warranty, and I think she got a really strong deal. As a 20 year loyalist to Toyota (myself and her), I have to say I'm really impressed with what Hyundai is doing - I think the Santa Fe size-wise probably competes against a Rav4 but for what my mom wanted, the Santa Fe is way better. I also think the newer RX is not the right fit for her - in particular I think the infotainment would have been a little overwhelming for her to learn (I don't care for it myself). I think the Palisade competes against the Highlander and I'd personally pick the Palisade in that case (both were too large for what she wanted). Just seems like Hyundai is nailing the interior and exterior execution and offering a ton of value for the price. I'm a believer.
Old 05-07-20, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats! Good choice for her.
Old 05-07-20, 08:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My mom pulled the trigger - she got a white 2.4 Limited with grey & espresso leather interior and picked it up the other day. I have to say I think it was the absolute perfect vehicle for her- tons of safety technology, beautiful interior, perfect size for what she wanted, a very comfortable ride, and styling that she likes. She got interior and exterior protection, upgraded the entire vehicle to have 10 year 100K mile warranty, and I think she got a really strong deal. As a 20 year loyalist to Toyota (myself and her), I have to say I'm really impressed with what Hyundai is doing - I think the Santa Fe size-wise probably competes against a Rav4 but for what my mom wanted, the Santa Fe is way better. I also think the newer RX is not the right fit for her - in particular I think the infotainment would have been a little overwhelming for her to learn (I don't care for it myself). I think the Palisade competes against the Highlander and I'd personally pick the Palisade in that case (both were too large for what she wanted). Just seems like Hyundai is nailing the interior and exterior execution and offering a ton of value for the price. I'm a believer.
Awesome! Santa Fe is a great size, just like a half size above the RAV4/CR-V, but pricing is fairly in line with those offerings. Also agree that having clear, and well grouped hard buttons for everything like current Hyundai/Genesis does is a huge appeal for looking at cars for my parents as well, both near 70. I would not want them trying to use remote touch while operating the vehicle.
Old 05-07-20, 09:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
Awesome! Santa Fe is a great size, just like a half size above the RAV4/CR-V, but pricing is fairly in line with those offerings. Also agree that having clear, and well grouped hard buttons for everything like current Hyundai/Genesis does is a huge appeal for looking at cars for my parents as well, both near 70. I would not want them trying to use remote touch while operating the vehicle.
Exactly - it's slightly larger than RAV4/CR-V but offers a much higher level of luxury in fit & finish and ride quality IMO. The Limited (I think) has a different infotainment screen - I believe it's larger AND offers both touchscreen and button control. It has 4 or 5 buttons on either side of the screen to get into menu's - it's just really intuitive and well thought out. My mom is not tech savvy at all and she had it figured out in the first 2 days of getting the car.
Old 05-07-20, 01:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Very nice ending! Glad she is happy and the Santa Fe is a solid choice.
Safe driving to you both.

Old 05-07-20, 02:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly - it's slightly larger than RAV4/CR-V but offers a much higher level of luxury in fit & finish and ride quality IMO. The Limited (I think) has a different infotainment screen - I believe it's larger AND offers both touchscreen and button control. It has 4 or 5 buttons on either side of the screen to get into menu's - it's just really intuitive and well thought out. My mom is not tech savvy at all and she had it figured out in the first 2 days of getting the car.
Nice! Good for her.

I'm totally with you comparing to compact SUV class, particularly since the SF doesn't offer a V6, but most "midsized" 2-row 'competitors' do, and have price ranges into the mid-to high $40K range (even into $50K).

I have the gray/espresso interior too, and I love the 2-tone combo.

This is the first car I have with lane keep assist, and I'm still getting used to the feel of the steering wheel adjusting itself while I'm driving. You may want to alert your mom about that.

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven both the 2.0t and 2.4 Santa Fe (2019-2020)?