Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW is ending European Delivery Program for U.S. customers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW is ending European Delivery Program for U.S. customers

May 18 is the last day to submit a pre-reservation for pickup by September

BMW is ending its European Delivery Program for North American customers. The news first broke on the Bimmerpost online forum via an employee of a BWM dealership in the U.S.

“After carefully evaluating the changing BMW U.S. customer preferences towards U.S.-built X vehicles and the declining interest in the European Delivery Program, BMW has made the decision to bring the U.S. market European Delivery Program to a close in the fall of 2020,” spokesman Oleg Satanovsky tells Autoblog.

European Delivery is a special purchase program that allows customers to order any BMW vehicle and have it delivered at the BMW Welt building, right next door to the company’s headquarters in Munich. The program gives buyers discounts of up to 5% off the base price of their vehicle, plus perks like a tour of the plant in Munich, a visit to the BMW Museum, free shuttle to the Munich airport and all shipping issues, including U.S. customs, port processing and wharf handling fees, taken care of.

The last day to submit a pre-reservation form for European Delivery is May 18, while September will be the last month to take advantage of the program. BMW will also reportedly honor deposits for 2021 model-year vehicles under the program by accepting pre-reservation forms without a production number.

The news follows a report in BMG Blog that picking up vehicles at BMW Welt just got more expensive for European customers, with the elimination of the Basic Starter Package pickup option. The BMW Welt was scheduled to reopen Monday after being closed since March 17 because of the coronavirus.

It's a sad end to a neat set of perks for car-buying. It reflects changing interests among U.S. car-buyers, and it's not difficult to imagine that rising costs and complications from the global coronavirus pandemic also may have influenced the decision.

Volvo, however, still has its long-running Overseas Delivery program.

“While fewer customers have been taking advantage of driving their new BMW’s in Europe prior to having their cars shipped to the U.S., we have seen a marked increase in interest in the BMW Ultimate Delivery Experience at our Greenville-Spartanburg facility, which is available for any production BMW vehicle, not just for those built in South Carolina," Satanovsky added.

“The BMW Ultimate Delivery Experience includes classroom and on-track car control instruction at the BMW Performance Center, a tour of Plant Spartanburg, a visit to the BMW Zentrum Museum and finally, a personalized vehicle handover of your new BMW followed by a drive home from the scenic Carolinas.”
Source
Old 05-05-20, 03:06 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a bummer. The trip to the Welt was worth the reason to do it besides the 5% savings.
Old 05-05-20, 03:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Always wanted Lexus to offer something similar

Was never lucky enough to do this. I hope the other European manufacturers continue their programs.
Old 05-05-20, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Two things I wish Lexus would offer us, is a Japanese delivery program and L-Select options
Old 05-05-20, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Two things I wish Lexus would offer us, is a Japanese delivery program and L-Select options

I don't know this for a fact, but one (possible) reason Lexus did not do a Japanese-delivery program for North American customers is that vehicles for this market are built with left-hand-drive, while the Japanese-market versions have right-hand-drive. That means that, while you are still in Japan touring the country with your new car before shipping back home, you're on the opposite side of the street from what you are used to, and it's a whole different perspective. I've driven some British right-hand-drive-spec vehicles here on American roads, and it can be awkward at first. It's similar to flying a plane from the right seat, in the cockpit, when you are used to (as most student-pilots are) flying it from the left.
Old 05-05-20, 04:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know this for a fact, but one (possible) reason Lexus did not do a Japanese-delivery program for North American customers is that vehicles for this market are built with left-hand-drive, while the Japanese-market versions have right-hand-drive. That means that, while you are still in Japan touring the country with your new car before shipping back home, you're on the opposite side of the street from what you are used to, and it's a whole different perspective. I've driven some British right-hand-drive-spec vehicles here on American roads, and it can be awkward at first. It's similar to flying a plane from the right seat, in the cockpit, when you are used to (as most student-pilots are) flying it from the left.
I don't know why either, but this is a logical thought
Old 05-05-20, 04:28 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Liability wise, it probably wasn't worth it either.
Old 05-05-20, 06:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

That is terrible news. The welt and the Delivery center before it were excellent vehicles for touring Europe while having a piece of it to bring home with ya!

PDC is still available so there is something i guess
Old 05-06-20, 07:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I did PDC delivery on my M3 and it was great but always planned to do European Delivery.
This is a huge loss for many enthusiasts as it’s incredible and unique experience.

Unfortunately this is more cost cutting by manufacturers due to Coronavirus and EV development.

MB and Porsche still offer it but may follow suit also.....
Old 05-06-20, 11:22 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 644 Posts

Contacted Lexus in 2018 that we would be on a Cruise ship porting in Kobe.
Got a nice response, the main production plant in Toyota City gives tours for
free, when would we be in town? Minor stipulation was that someone had to
speak Japanese but that was simple, they gave us all headsets and our driver
had a microphone. He heard the docent describe the scene and he just told
us what she said. "That's a door being put on..." The models we watched being
built included the Lexus GX460 and Toyota Land Cruiser. Both RHD and LHD
were coming down the line, nice lobby with other Lexus models displayed.
Noticed something odd, even high end LS and GS displayed car did not have
sunroofs. Started looking at all brands of street cars and also saw relatively
few with sunroofs (sunrooves?) No idea what current programs offer but it was
a nice shore excursion rather than the usual temples and tourist stuff.
Old 05-06-20, 01:37 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

What percentage of vehicles BMW sells in the USA are made in Germany to start with?

Last edited by Frog98; 05-06-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 05:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

The increased sales of X vehicles that are made in South Carolina definitely had a role in it but the cost cutting was the main reason imo.

There are still plenty of vehicles made in Germany - 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 Series and all the ///M cars.

Apparently the dealers don’t encourage this program bec it takes $$$$$ away from their pocket and also BMW removed all incentives for cars that go through ED.
It’s a slap in the face bec it’s still being provided for European buyers. I rather they charge $1-2k for it and allow it as an option.
Old 05-06-20, 05:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The increased sales of X vehicles that are made in South Carolina definitely had a role in it but the cost cutting was the main reason imo.

There are still plenty of vehicles made in Germany - 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 Series and all the ///M cars.

Apparently the dealers don’t encourage this program bec it takes $$$$$ away from their pocket and also BMW removed all incentives for cars that go through ED.
It’s a slap in the face bec it’s still being provided for European buyers. I rather they charge $1-2k for it and allow it as an option.
XM models are not made in Germany.
Old 05-06-20, 07:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
XM models are not made in Germany.
i said M cars.

All BMW SUVs including M ones are made in SC.
Old 05-06-20, 09:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
i said M cars.

All BMW SUVs including M ones are made in SC.
Got ya. Esuvees are not cars.

Quick Reply: BMW is ending European Delivery Program for U.S. customers