Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Cars are Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 09:49 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From 2005 to 2019, Benz increased their US sales from 224k to a market leading 257k.
BMW rose from 266k to 324k.
Audi rose from 83k to a whopping 224k!
To be fair, a lot of those increases are because the Germans expanded their product line to include every kind of vehicle body type and coupe version of it under the sun to cover all niches.
Old 05-13-20, 10:00 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
To be fair, a lot of those increases are because the Germans expanded their product line to include every kind of vehicle body type and coupe version of it under the sun to cover all niches.
True.
They have 4 Door Gran Coupe versions of their sedans, and 4 Door Gran Coupe versions of their high riding wagons too.
Though sales is one thing, but $$$ is something else; top sales does not necessarily mean top dollar.

This thread is really about styling [subjective], though styling is objective once it is polled.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-13-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-13-20, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think it and all big SUV's are ugly. Subjectivity.
Yup! Diff'rent strokes for different folks.

This thread is really about styling [subjective], though styling is objective once it is polled.
LOL, no its not. Thats the definition of something being subjective. If 99 people think something is ugly, and 1 person things its beautiful, that one person is not wrong. Styling is subjective, and I promise you every vehicle out there that you think is ugly, there are plenty of people that think its beautiful. You also always try and equate sales performance with styling to bolster your subjective opinion of styling as being fact. Your opinion may be an opinion that is shared by more people than those who disgagree, but that never means its objective. It is always your opinion.

Obviously a designer wants more people to think something is beautiful than think its ugly, so styling can succeed or fail, but that doesn't mean that its ever objective.

Even the Aztek has fans.
Old 05-13-20, 03:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, no its not. Thats the definition of something being subjective. If 99 people think something is ugly, and 1 person things its beautiful, that one person is not wrong. Styling is subjective, and I promise you every vehicle out there that you think is ugly, there are plenty of people that think its beautiful. You also always try and equate sales performance with styling to bolster your subjective opinion of styling as being fact. Your opinion may be an opinion that is shared by more people than those who disgagree, but that never means its objective. It is always your opinion.

Obviously a designer wants more people to think something is beautiful than think its ugly, so styling can succeed or fail, but that doesn't mean that its ever objective.

Even the Aztek has fans.
This is how democracy works.
A number of people vote one way, and a number of people vote the other way, but we can only have one body styling - and it is democracy and its objectivity that wins.

Deeper into it, styling is actually a science - and not an art; research it...
Old 05-13-20, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That statement just doesn't many any sense lol

As much as you try and prove otherwise, styling will always remain subjective.
Old 05-13-20, 04:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

That statement just doesn't many any sense lol

As much as you try and prove otherwise, styling will always remain subjective.
But you must understand that it is made objective by polling.

The ultimate poll is the sales.
The sales indicates the overall quality of the product.

Detailed polling pin points the exact individual strengths & weaknesses of the product.
Old 05-13-20, 04:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally disagree. Styling is never made objective. All polling does is tell you who likes it and who doesn't, it doesn't mean the people that like it are wrong.

Sales are based on a wide variety of attributes, styling being just one of them.
Old 05-13-20, 04:53 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Even the Aztek has fans.
lol now more than ever thanks to Breaking Bad
Old 05-13-20, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lol now more than ever thanks to Breaking Bad
You’d be surprised! I know people who liked them long before Breaking Bad ever existed
Old 05-13-20, 05:27 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

You’d be surprised! I know people who liked them long before Breaking Bad ever existed
probably the same people who liked the episode "Fly"
Old 05-13-20, 05:39 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sales are based on a wide variety of attributes, styling being just one of them.
Totally agreed, we've owned 2 RX's now despite not exactly loving the design. There's more to owning a car than styling, otherwise, everybody would own a Lamborghini or Aston Martin or Lexus LC and nobody would own an RX.
Old 05-13-20, 06:59 PM
krolnik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Acura needs to bring back the LEGEND name. I have said this for years.
Legend - the last? BEST Acura - owned and drove a legend til a few years ago.

New cars don't have the engineering bones - too many problems...

Old 05-13-20, 08:55 PM
gymguy79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still have my 93 and 94
Lexus LS400s. When I bought them Lexus didn't advertise....they didn't have to. Now it seems I see Lexus ads almost every day. To me all luxury brands now look bad including Lexus but that's just me. I'm glad you like your IS300. I hope more people do as well because Lexus is an Iconic brand. Enjoy!!
Old 05-14-20, 12:16 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Totally disagree. Styling is never made objective. All polling does is tell you who likes it and who doesn't, it doesn't mean the people that like it are wrong.

It is made objective in the same way as we vote for President.

Styling is certainly one of the major categories, and polling can pin point both the category and the degree of impact.
We can't poll [properly], so we can only guess or give opinions.
Old 05-14-20, 03:45 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

It is made objective in the same way as we vote for President.

Styling is certainly one of the major categories, and polling can pin point both the category and the degree of impact.
We can't poll [properly], so we can only guess or give opinions.
No, you're wrong here. A vote only tells which percentage of the population thinks one way or another. That doesn't mean that the majority of one cohort of voters is right in terms of their views on styling, or on a presidential candidate for that matter, it simply tells us how many of a cohort at large thinks of an object being stylish, in this instance. The minority, while the majority may think they're nuts, is not wrong in their subjective assessment as that is inherently impossible due to the very nature of subjectivity.

Subjectivity cannot be measured and cannot be deemed 'wrong' by any poll. Any survey conducted on the subjective tastes of automotive styling, for example, would simple tell us the breakdown of the subjective tastes that buyers have out there which is useful information for manufacturers to have, but isn't at all demonstrative of the negation of the minority views.

Quick Reply: Acura Cars are Ugly