Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Cars are Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
No, you're wrong here. A vote only tells which percentage of the population thinks one way or another. That doesn't mean that the majority of one cohort of voters is right in terms of their views on styling, or on a presidential candidate for that matter, it simply tells us how many of a cohort at large thinks of an object being stylish, in this instance. The minority, while the majority may think they're nuts, is not wrong in their subjective assessment as that is inherently impossible due to the very nature of subjectivity.

Subjectivity cannot be measured and cannot be deemed 'wrong' by any poll. Any survey conducted on the subjective tastes of automotive styling, for example, would simple tell us the breakdown of the subjective tastes that buyers have out there which is useful information for manufacturers to have, but isn't at all demonstrative of the negation of the minority views.
You're totally wasting your breath lol
Old 05-14-20, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gymguy79
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still have my 93 and 94
Lexus LS400s. When I bought them Lexus didn't advertise....they didn't have to. Now it seems I see Lexus ads almost every day. To me all luxury brands now look bad including Lexus but that's just me. I'm glad you like your IS300. I hope more people do as well because Lexus is an Iconic brand. Enjoy!!
Lexus absolutely advertised in the 90s, Lexus ads were all over TV.
Old 05-14-20, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

let's keep the president and politics out of here, please, even in analogies.
Old 05-14-20, 08:47 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
oh, i know, but seriously, some people need to have it hammered into their heads by different people and in different manners in order to maybe, MAYBE understand the most basic of concepts.
Old 05-14-20, 09:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

oh, i know, but seriously, some people need to have it hammered into their heads by different people and in different manners in order to maybe, MAYBE understand the most basic of concepts.
Many have tried. All have failed.
Old 05-15-20, 01:04 AM
gymguy79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never implied that you are wrong to like the new styles. It's your choice. Maybe today's increase in advertising has more to do with drop off in demand in today's world.
Old 05-15-20, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gymguy79
Never implied that you are wrong to like the new styles. It's your choice. Maybe today's increase in advertising has more to do with drop off in demand in today's world.
My point is...there is no increase in advertising.
Old 05-15-20, 10:17 AM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Sure, looks may be subjective. But I do not ever hear any praise from any Acura fans on the 2G NSX. The NSX isn't the halo car of Acura (like the LFA to Lexus) any means but its just to symbolize a premium price point.

It's a major downgrade. Looks like some sort of fish.
Attached Thumbnails Acura Cars are Ugly-2020-acura-nsx-05.jpg  

Last edited by laiyukchun; 05-15-20 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the new NSX is great looking. The NSX is certainly the halo car to Acura, and Lexus doesn't make the LFA anymore. Once car they built 500 of 8 years ago doesn't make a halo car today.
Old 05-15-20, 12:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

New NSX is stunning, I think.
Old 05-15-20, 01:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

New NSX is OK looking on exterior but interior is atrocious for the price.
Corvette looks better outside and inside its on another level in terms of materials and tech - all for $100k less.

Acura spent way too much on hybrid setup and nobody cares for it.
New Corvette is the real successor to original NSX.
Old 05-15-20, 02:11 PM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
New NSX is OK looking on exterior but interior is atrocious for the price.
Corvette looks better outside and inside its on another level in terms of materials and tech - all for $100k less.

Acura spent way too much on hybrid setup and nobody cares for it.
New Corvette is the real successor to original NSX.
It's funny how you were mentioning the Corvette because the other day I was thinking as to how much the C5 Corvette resembled the Mazda RX-7. Other's have made that comparison with the C5/RX-7 in the past as well on other forums. It makes sense that designers would get inspired by others before them hence why they just happen to look similar.

The NSX's production background was similar, it was suppose to be a rival to Ferrari and outdo them hence why it resembles a Ferrari (probably the F40). Speaking of which, wasn't the NSX originally a response Honda had for Ferrari? It was to prove to Ferrari that you can still have an exotic car with good reliability. I think I also heard somewhere they actually hired a former designer of Ferrari to make the 1G NSX. Why didn't they continue the rivalry?
Old 05-15-20, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In what universe does an Acura NSX resemble a Ferrari F40? LOL
Old 05-16-20, 01:12 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

No, you're wrong here. A vote only tells which percentage of the population thinks one way or another. That doesn't mean that the majority of one cohort of voters is right in terms of their views on styling, or on a presidential candidate for that matter, it simply tells us how many of a cohort at large thinks of an object being stylish, in this instance. The minority, while the majority may think they're nuts, is not wrong in their subjective assessment as that is inherently impossible due to the very nature of subjectivity.

Subjectivity cannot be measured and cannot be deemed 'wrong' by any poll. Any survey conducted on the subjective tastes of automotive styling, for example, would simple tell us the breakdown of the subjective tastes that buyers have out there which is useful information for manufacturers to have, but isn't at all demonstrative of the negation of the minority views.
Subjectivity CAN be measured [quantitized].
Opinions can be measured [quantitized] - ie made objective!
Statisticians do this every day.
From that measurement, they calculate the average, the standard deviation & the extremes which are several standard deviations above/below the mean.

We have 335 million people US, hence up to 335 million different opinions.
However it is impractical to make 335 million different motor vehicle body styles.

Hence statisticians calculate the average, and generally design to fit the needs of the average, and say around one standard deviation above & below the mean.
Through polling, statisticians can measure the degree (quantitative) of public acceptance today regarding Acura styling, and compare it to data from 20 years ago.

You will find that different age groups put different levels of emphasis on styling too.
The younger age groups tend to prioritize styling more, while the older age groups tend to prioritize styling less.
What's more, younger age groups tend to prefer more radical styling, while older age groups prefer more conservative styling.

A company can employ one, or even many stylists.
Each stylist won't just produce one drawing, but many different drawings.

The big question is whether the company is structured to use:
(1) Just the one authoritarian totalitarian dictator to choose the final body style.
(2) The company has a board with multiple members to democratically vote on the final body style to be produced.
(3) Or a combination of both one authoritarian dictator can rule based on the advice of the board of panelists and their quantitative democratic choice.

After production and sales, aftermarket surveys give valuable "quantitative" feedback to the manufacturer regarding their styling, so they will know how well [quantity] the new body style is publicly accepted.

Thus, styling is NOT just purely subjective & qualitative alone, but styling and opinions can be quantitized and made objective for analysis.

Try to understand that Steve - as an analogy, it is sort of like an analogue to digital conversion - if you know what I mean?
In other words, analogue can be converted to digital.
Likewise, matter [atoms] can be converted to energy [electromagnetic radiation] - believe it or not.
What is subjective can be converted to objective.
If you don't have a scientific background, you may find this concept difficult to understand.

Sure, there will be lots of different public opinions regarding the styling of Acuras, LC Coupes & 5LS sedans - but don't be surprized if the LC Coupe & NSX II have superior quantitative feedback polling than 5LS or modern day Acuras.

In what universe does an Acura NSX resemble a Ferrari F40? LOL
Let the man have his say.
OP is entitled to his opinion - without being mocked.

Old F40 and old 1991-05 NSX had very long rear overhangs.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/new-...d-ferrari-458/

New 458 & NSX II have very short rear overhangs.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-16-20 at 03:42 AM.