Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Cars are Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 08:50 AM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acura Cars are Ugly

I know that it's very ironic posting this thread on a Lexus forum but hear me out. I just don't like how Acura's designs have been going.

When I was car shopping I thought that Acura was still as good as they were in the 90s/00s. I was going to get a TLX but I had to actually enjoy looking at the design first. I couldn't force myself to get over the dumb silver mustache that they sported. I've seen some people actually painting it and leaving the badge silver.

Then when they redesigned themselves with the pentagon/diamond shaped grilled it still looked off. I think they were trying to copy Lexus with the big grill trend but no it was still ugly.

I don't know as to how is it Honda can make their Civics look good with the chrome bar grill but they fail with their Acura counterpart.

And that's why I ended up to Lexus as they have the better exterior designs. I love my IS300! Keep it up!
Old 05-09-20, 09:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Acura is not really a true luxury brand - its just a bit better than Honda.
Now that they got rid of the beak grill - the styling is more acceptable. The RDX is well styled imo. The interior tech and features are very dated as well.

Lexus has much better products and not on the same level.
Old 05-09-20, 09:06 AM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL I like how straight forward you are with your Acura criticisms.
Old 05-09-20, 09:11 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

That old TL was a gem. Seriously one of the best looking sedans of the 2000s. It's also aged quite well. To think about it and the Infiniti G35 and see where their brands are today is just pitiful.

Old 05-09-20, 09:18 AM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Ugh! That was probably the start of the silver mustache trend that Acura was going for. My likes were actually directed towards the NSX 1G, Integra, and RSX
Old 05-09-20, 09:31 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Now that they got rid of the beak grill - the styling is more acceptable. The RDX is well styled imo. The interior tech and features are very dated as well.

Lexus has much better products and not on the same level.
I do agree Lexus cars look way better than the Acuras but I disagree on interior technology. Lexus is known for having outdated infotainment systems. I own a 2019 IS, there has not been any major changes or improvements since the 2014 IS. I don't even have apple play which almost every car has now... Reason I would've chose a a Lexus over an Acura is because of the reliability Toyota's motors and transmissions. My family owns a 2004 RX with over 300k miles and its still running!
Old 05-09-20, 09:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully they've turned a corner, new TLX with return of Type S models should help!

Still won't be full top tier luxury, but not everyone needs to be there. But as others have said, Acura and Honda don't differentiate enough.
Old 05-09-20, 09:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyenerr
I do agree Lexus cars look way better than the Acuras but I disagree on interior technology. Lexus is known for having outdated infotainment systems. I own a 2019 IS, there has not been any major changes or improvements since the 2014 IS. I don't even have apple play which almost every car has now... Reason I would've chose a a Lexus over an Acura is because of the reliability Toyota's motors and transmissions. My family owns a 2004 RX with over 300k miles and its still running!
The IS350 was a great car in 2014. Much better than the TLX but times have changed. I'd rather have an NSX over an LC500 but the rest of Acura's lineup isn't great. Although the MDX and RDX are better than the RX and NX. They should never have killed off the Integra. What a glorious car.
Old 05-09-20, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by laiyukchun
I know that it's very ironic posting this thread on a Lexus forum but hear me out. I just don't like how Acura's designs have been going.
While most of us here at CL, of course, have our own opinions and preferences on styling, we also believe that styling is an objective quality, and that some people are going to like a certain design, and some aren't. Of course, there are rare exceptions, like the Pontiac Aztec, which almost everyone pans. But, even then, there are exceptions....I once saw a young couple come into a GMC/Pontiac dealership, fall in love with a white Aztec, and, after a test-drive, take it home that very afternoon.

When I was car shopping I thought that Acura was still as good as they were in the 90s/00s. I was going to get a TLX but I had to actually enjoy looking at the design first. I couldn't force myself to get over the dumb silver mustache that they sported. I've seen some people actually painting it and leaving the badge silver.
Acura dealerships, for a while, even had a program where, at no charge, they would paint the parrot-grille the vehicle's body-color, if the customer requested it before delivery. Many potential customers, like you, simply did not like the silver parrot-beak.
Old 05-09-20, 10:16 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Sit in a new LS500 or LC500 - they are spaceships compared to anything Acura has to offer.
Lexus tech is lacking compared to Germans for sure.
Old 05-09-20, 10:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS350 was a great car in 2014. Much better than the TLX but times have changed. I'd rather have an NSX over an LC500 but the rest of Acura's lineup isn't great. Although the MDX and RDX are better than the RX and NX. They should never have killed off the Integra. What a glorious car.
I’m not sure about that. The NSX interior is an abomination - the gauges/center stack is so cheap in person i was shocked. It does sound better than I expected and drives well.
LC500 is an amazing car and probably one of the best GT cars you can buy. I really enjoyed driving it which doesn’t happen often.
Old 05-09-20, 10:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

One of the main reasons Lexus has been lazy is because the other Japanese “luxury” makes are a joke.
Infiniti is a disaster and Acura is only now slowly trying to rebrand itself as an exciting performance brand.

When all 3 brands were pushing each other in 90s to 00s - products were amazing.
Now Lexus has no worries.

Imagine if MB didn’t have BMW and Audi to compete with. Their products would not be anywhere close to what they are.

Rivalry with crosstown foes is what drives greatness - hopefully Acura can make a comeback and in turn push Lexus to make better products.
Old 05-09-20, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^^ Acura once made what I considered an absolutely superb product...the 2-Gen RL. It was built like a tank, used first-grade materials inside and out, came with the SH-AWD system standard, drove like a luxury car, and sold at big discounts. I seriously considered one at the time. The problem was, though, that many people thought that it was too small and looked too much like a Honda Accord....and it only sold in very low numbers, often with as much as 8-9K off its 48-50K list. As a result, Acura's 3-Gen RLX replacement, while still built well with sturdy materials (I sampled one), showed signs of cost-cutting, and lost the standard SH-AWD...it came standard with FWD.

Old 05-09-20, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Honda and Acura are even worse in the infotainment department
Old 05-09-20, 11:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I find most Lexus cars ugly now aside from the LC500 and somewhat RC/IS, LC500 looks great. The new ES I find very ugly and just odd looking, the new LS500 I just find unattractive and off and see why sales have plummeted on this gen, it looks like a stretched Nissan to me, RX is hideous and not a good driver at all and I don't understand how it sells so well, they made the new GS ugly with the 2016 "update", the rest of the SUV's are ugly too. 2nd Gen IS, 4th Gen pre update GS were great looking cars, LS460 looks pretty good still, never liked the 3rd Gen GS, 2nd Gen GS was a great design, same with 1st Gen SC.

Acura's aren't much better or any better but the TLX and RLX are inoffensive to me, ILX is just dull looking, MDX is okay looking, RDX is a nice looking for a SUV, NSX is just gorgeous and one of the best modern sports cars designs in my opinion. There is promise with the new TLX if they make it look close enough to that great looking Type S concept.

I don't know what is worse, Acura's 2 screen setup or Lexus's mouse controller, I don't like either, the mouse controller is awful and annoying to use but has better graphics, the Acura system does not look good but is a little quicker and easier to use, I still hate touchscreens, I don't read good things about the LS500's or LC500's newer mouse systems either.

Pretty much everything coming out of Japan these days is not that good looking anymore aside from just a few cars, seems they ugly everything up for the Chinese market, I do think the Infiniti Q60 coupe looks good, one of the exceptions.

Hyundai/KIA had some nice designs but others are dull and ugly too, I really liked the first gen G80, new one I don't know, the rear end doesn't work for me and what is up with those giant grills again for the Chinese market. BMW is ruining their designs with those big stupid grills, everything looks the same, they use pretty much the same exact interior design for their lowest end car as they do their highest end car which is a turn off. I don't care for Audi's styling or interiors anymore. Mercedes is one of the few that does put up some nice designs on the higher end, S class, S class coupe, CLS, AMG GT, etc.

Quick Reply: Acura Cars are Ugly