Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver caught speeding at 191 MPH - Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 04:26 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
acknowledging something as bad *** doesn't mean you're 'advocating' it

also i did a little google earthing of the QEW and there are several stretches of very long arrow straight totally flat stretches of 6 lane road, there's even a 12+ mile straight which is over twice as long as the ehra-lessien test track where several world record speed attempts have been made

idk exactly where on the road this happened but it seems like he picked the best least bad location to do this, and he was in a very modern car with modern tires and an exceptional electronic stability program... the amount of people at any one moment driving a car that can even reach anything near 190 mph is so low this entire episode is basically a non-event

the lucky ones are those who got to witness and hear that marvelous high revving hand assembled 6.2 liter V8 roar past... that's art in motion right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQdBYnBBCY8
Public roads aren't for personal speed thrills and jollies. There's reasonableness in speeds which police will overlook and there's outright criminal. A judge is going to weigh what a reasonable person would be doing in this instance at that time of the night on the QEW, and what this driver did.

Don't like the speed limits? Want a German autobahn system implimented? Get your fellow speed freaks elected to Congress.
Old 05-12-20, 05:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Don't like the speed limits? Want a German autobahn system implimented? Get your fellow speed freaks elected to Congress.
Speed limits are fine in local neighbourhoods, near schools etc.

But on a highway especially one with long open stretches its asinine to have 50-55mph limit where 100% of drivers go above it. Make it 100mph at least.
Cars have never been more powerful or safer yet the road rules are not updated to reflect this neither is training for drivers test.

Congress or local government is a joke and only motivated by revenue hence they will never get rid of speed traps/cameras etc.
Old 05-12-20, 09:10 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm fascinated that different cultures do things differently because, well, just because. You can pump your own gasoline everywhere, but don't you dare try it in Oregon. It's illegal. Why? Because. No, really, why? Because.

So here in Oregon the I-5 speed limit is 65 but most go 75. I think in Texas it's 75 and everyone goes 85.

Over in Germany on an autobahn many years ago I was passing a truck and noticed in my rear-view mirror a car far behind me flashing his high beams. I passed the truck, got back into the right lane, and within seconds a big Mercedes whooshed by in the left lane, probably doing at least 120 mph. In that country folks get really upset if you hog the left lane.

I should also mention that we saw two major incidents along the side of the autobahn while we were there for a week. One car totally upside-down in the grass alongside the road, and another car (unrelated incident) that was about two feet shorter after hitting something solid.

And the Autobahn is not "anything goes," especially these days. I imagine they would come down hard on you if you pulled a 191 mph stunt there.
Old 05-12-20, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The speed limits are idiotic. There is probably no law that is broken more often.
I'd say that coming to a full on a stop sign, and coming to a stop before a right-turn on red (both of which are legally required) are broken just as much, if not more, than speeding. Many drivers to only do not come to a full stop, but just lightly tap their brakes if that.

Another law that is probably broken just as much or more than speeding is hand-held-cell-phone-use while driving.

Old 05-12-20, 01:04 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
And the Autobahn is not "anything goes," especially these days. I imagine they would come down hard on you if you pulled a 191 mph stunt there.
i don't think it ever was 'anything goes' there are restricted and de-restricted sections of it, and on a de-restricted section 191 mph really isn't much of a stunt (assuming there's not just too much traffic to even get up to that speed)

also there is no singular 'the autobahn', autobahns are just what the highways are called and in more rural areas of them you'll find the de-restricted zones
Old 05-12-20, 01:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd say that coming to a full on a stop sign, and coming to a stop before a right-turn on red (both of which are legally required) are broken just as much, if not more, than speeding. Many drivers to only do not come to a full stop, but just lightly tap their brakes if that.
well once you slow down to a certain point there's no more safety to be gained by coming to a full stop, if anything you might be increasing danger since nobody actually expects the person in front to come to a full stop, might be on there phone and continue thinking the person has driven away already... if one actually feels they need to come to a complete stop to be safe i don't feel comfortable sharing the road with that person

phones are definitely bad but most phone induced accidents are low speed type stuff, unless the person was trying to record something i haven't seen many high speed accidents caused from being on the phone

the most broken (and arguably dangerous) law is keeping out of the left lane except to pass, and it's probably the biggest reason why we can't safely have higher interstate speed limits
Old 05-12-20, 01:13 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I thought I was ballsy taking my truck to 120 on the open interestate with nobody around for miles.
i'd say that's probably more dangerous than what he did
Old 05-12-20, 01:24 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

300kph:

Parts of the autobahn are unrestricted, but that's not always - you'd better watch the electronic speed limit signs. In addition, drivers are used to this and watch their mirrors. You can still notice things at 300+kph, but the car won't stop as fast as you think it will - you'd better gave good visibility and be ready to jump on the brakes. That + the (criminally stupid, IMO) 100/110KPH limits there (edit: there = Canada) + night time + apparently traffic... I mean speed traps are always set at places where everybody ****ing speeds due to stupidly low limits and at peak traffic times, but that doesn't mean that you should try blasting in the off-hours without due care.

At any rate, we don't know the full details.

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 05-13-20 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 04:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

From the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Not even a full licence and carrying an attitude of entitlement because he had a fast car. Seems like a mentality that the car brings out in some of these drivers.

An 18-year-old stopped by the Ontario Provincial Police after being clocked driving 308 km/h on a busy highway reportedly told the officer who pulled him over he was "comfortable" doing three times the speed limit, despite the fact he still doesn't have his full licence.

The accused adult teen from Etobicoke, Ont., is a G2 driver, according to provincial police, meaning he needs to pass a road test before earning his full G licence.

Still, Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said he gave the officer who caught him speeding the impression he felt confident behind the wheel of his parents' Mercedes C 63 AMG.

"There was some sort of comment … that he was involved in maybe some track-type driving or even racing on tracks and that this is something he thought he was comfortable with performing," explained Schmidt, adding the teen told the officer at the scene the vehicle was capable of those speeds and "even more if [he] wanted to."

"He made it sound like this was something that was not completely atypical for him."
Old 05-12-20, 04:26 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

From the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Not even a full licence and carrying an attitude of entitlement because he had a fast car. Seems like a mentality that the car brings out in some of these drivers.
have you driven one of these? they're unbelievably confidence inspiring at high speeds

it's almost like they're designed to do it in total safety...
Old 05-12-20, 05:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

have you driven one of these? they're unbelievably confidence inspiring at high speeds

it's almost like they're designed to do it in total safety...
Of course they are. These are fantastic cars. But lets get back to the facts here:

Fact: the speed limit on the QEW at this location is not 308 km/hr.

Fact: the officer who stopped this teen reports that he didn't have a full licence and that this driver had participated in track racing which factors into judgement and motivations.

Fact: It was night time which means limited visibility. Do you see high speed NASCAR oval track racing at night on unlit tracks?

Fact: There is absolutely no excuse for travelling at this speed on a public highway.

And yes, I know about fast cars - drove quite a few. Just not AMG, doesn't mean I need to do that on a highway.
Old 05-12-20, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Stroock, no offense, but I think you would be wise to listen to what Matty is trying to tell you. He's got the law, common sense, and the laws of physics on his side.
Old 05-12-20, 06:34 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

And yes, I know about fast cars - drove quite a few. Just not AMG, doesn't mean I need to do that on a highway.
i think it does mean you need to do that, as the needle passes 120 you'll start to become annoyed and ask yourself 'why is this so illegal!?'
Old 05-12-20, 06:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

i think it does mean you need to do that, as the needle passes 120 you'll start to become annoyed and ask yourself 'why is this so illegal!?'
Lol. Yes I know about that needle crossing 120 mph. Been there done that. But at some point I ask myself, when the needle approaches 200 mph, what risk does this vehicle and its driver pose to the community. I love the E55 that you own from that era. Its style and drivertrain - timeless. It's a beast and there is something visceral about such cars.

But a saner more mature driver also knows about responsibility, community and context. You do know that once you cross such community standards, you will be someone who is an outlier? The motorists who likely reported this outrageous and egregious act of speeding honked their horns in appreciation of the traffic police who stopped him. Does that clue you in about what public roads are about? Shared responsibility?

Would you feel the same way if you wiped out a family in their minivan while you enjoyed the wonderful sense of speed in your E55? You can't predict what's ahead of you at that speed, especially at night.
Old 05-12-20, 07:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Stroock, no offense, but I think you would be wise to listen to what Matty is trying to tell you. He's got the law, common sense, and the laws of physics on his side.
Have you drive a modern performance car over 100mph on a track or open Safe roads obviously.

Honestly the things my car (M3) can do leaves me in awe sometimes. It makes you feel in such control its hard to describe. With these cars - I would argue they only come alive at over 100mph. At 50-60, you might as well be driving a Camry. The capability of these cars are on another level but as with anything else proper training is required. I encourage everyone to do performance driving school with professional drivers. Lexus had a great program even as of last year I believe so do BMW, Porsche etc.

Quick Reply: Driver caught speeding at 191 MPH - Toronto