Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver caught speeding at 191 MPH - Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 07:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Have you drive a modern performance car over 100mph on a track or open Safe roads obviously.

Honestly the things my car (M3) can do leaves me in awe sometimes. It makes you feel in such control its hard to describe. With these cars - I would argue they only come alive at over 100mph. At 50-60, you might as well be driving a Camry. The capability of these cars are on another level but as with anything else proper training is required. I encourage everyone to do performance driving school with professional drivers. Lexus had a great program even as of last year I believe so do BMW, Porsche etc.
Have you ever had a tire blow out at over 80mph? I had about 20 years ago, and I'm very lucky to be alive. I don't care how capable my car is, I don't exceed 80mph.
Old 05-12-20, 07:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. Yes I know about that needle crossing 120 mph. Been there done that. But at some point I ask myself, when the needle approaches 200 mph, what risk does this vehicle and its driver pose to the community. I love the E55 that you own from that era. Its style and drivertrain - timeless. It's a beast and there is something visceral about such cars.

But a saner more mature driver also knows about responsibility, community and context. You do know that once you cross such community standards, you will be someone who is an outlier? The motorists who likely reported this outrageous and egregious act of speeding honked their horns in appreciation of the traffic police who stopped him. Does that clue you in about what public roads are about? Shared responsibility?

Would you feel the same way if you wiped out a family in their minivan while you enjoyed the wonderful sense of speed in your E55? You can't predict what's ahead of you at that speed, especially at night.
well then let me apologize if i wasn't clear about this, but under no circumstances would i say what this kid did was safe by any means, quite the opposite in fact, and on a road like that people simply aren't anticipating something approaching that quickly... we also don't know the prevailing traffic situation, and in one of those articles the head of police even said they impound a decent amount of cars on that road so it seems like a location conducive to being able to go very quickly

i also wait until i have a completely empty stretch of smooth road ahead of me so i'm not zipping past cars at crazy closing rates, it's very important to me that only i be at risk during my selfish acts, it's wrong for anyone else to suffer for such a technically pointless activity... i think you'd be surprised at how gently i normally drive, i average between 16-17 mpg in that car which believe it or not is taking it quite gently lol

even going that speed on the autobahns isn't 'safe' but lane etiquette there is much better and people are expecting very high speeds, so the actual likelihood of a crash happening is much lower... the police chief in this incident said he didn't even realize cars could go that fast, so i think it's unfair that teams of brilliant engineers work tirelessly to create these fantastic machines only for people who don't know better to impose arbitrary laws based on outdated perceptions and not reality... i really believe that if more people got to experience proper speed in a controlled setting they'd have a whole new perspective on things

also we don't know if the people were honking out of delight for the pullover or out of appreciation for creating such a once in a lifetime spectacle lol
Old 05-12-20, 07:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Have you ever had a tire blow out at over 80mph? I had about 20 years ago, and I'm very lucky to be alive. I don't care how capable my car is, I don't exceed 80mph.
at just after 2:50 in this vid the tire blows out at about 195 mph and he recovered pretty well

this is a 1991 sauber C11
Old 05-12-20, 07:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thats your choice.
People get into accidents all the time but still drive.

Ppl have had transmissions go out or engines blow up at 50 or 80 or 100mph - stuff can happen.

My argument is today’s performance vehicles are engineered to SAFELY travel at speeds of up to 200mph. Tire technology has GREATLY improved over past 20yrs. Unfortunately the road infrastructure and driver training are lacking in a big way in the US.

So with the right car, proper tires, proper road and driver training - I would say driving 100-150mph is perfectly safe.

Hell in Japan they have bullet trains that go crazy speeds but in NYC we have subway going 10mph yet they brake every day. All about engineering!
Old 05-12-20, 07:46 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
300kph:
that video just shows how the simple rule of keep right except to pass is really all that's needed to be able to safely go those speeds, the autobahns look like such joys to drive on
Old 05-12-20, 08:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats your choice.
People get into accidents all the time but still drive.

Ppl have had transmissions go out or engines blow up at 50 or 80 or 100mph - stuff can happen.

My argument is today’s performance vehicles are engineered to SAFELY travel at speeds of up to 200mph. Tire technology has GREATLY improved over past 20yrs. Unfortunately the road infrastructure and driver training are lacking in a big way in the US.

So with the right car, proper tires, proper road and driver training - I would say driving 100-150mph is perfectly safe.
Over 100mph on public road is just lunacy. At these types of speed if anything goes wrong - a tire blow out, debris on the road, a deer, etc and its almost guaranteed to be a fatal crash. And not everyone drives a performance car and has the reflexes to handle such speeds. Speed limits exist for a very good reason, even autobahn has speed limits almost everywhere now. And even if in certain places limits are set a bit low, police wont bother you if you're doing 10-15 over.

Hell in Japan they have bullet trains that go crazy speeds but in NYC we have subway going 10mph yet they brake every day. All about engineering!
These Japanese trains are running in a controlled environment, you can't compare it to driving. NYC transit is plagued by too many bureaucratic agencies, political forces and union gangsters, it will never improve.
Old 05-12-20, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

An Excellent point. This should have been brought up earlier. Tires, of course are rated and certified for speed-capacity, but that doesn't mean that they can't fail under some conditions even at or below that speed.
Old 05-12-20, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you drive a modern performance car over 100mph on a track or open Safe roads obviously.
I have driven cars up to 500 HP (E63, C63, M3, XKR Supercharged)....nothing over that. Yes, on safe roads....sensibly.
Old 05-12-20, 08:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

If you've ever driven the 5 highway near Camp Pendleton at night from LA to SD, the slowest car on the right goes about 80 mph. The left is pegged easily at 90+ and everyone is happily motoring away without an incident. On my daily commutes, the left lane is easily going 85-90 in many areas. This is the speed at which the freeway moves. It's different everywhere so let's not judge speed according to what your used to in your area.
Old 05-13-20, 06:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I electronically limit the car to 75mph if anyone else drives my car. All future cars will have this ability hopefully
This feature has been available for about 6 years now. I can do this on my 2016 Tesla Model S. Its referred to as "Valet" mode and the max speed can be limited. It can only be disabled if the person driving the car knows the PIN that was used to enable it.
Old 05-13-20, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm curious what his dad's response was here
You don't understand the protective drive a parent has over their child until you have a child, sorry. You absolutely would not "be proud" your child was driving 170MPH on a public road. You would be horrified and terrified.

Any parent who tells you otherwise isn't being honest. Its in your DNA.

Honestly the things my car (M3) can do leaves me in awe sometimes. It makes you feel in such control its hard to describe. With these cars - I would argue they only come alive at over 100mph. At 50-60, you might as well be driving a Camry. The capability of these cars are on another level but as with anything else proper training is required. I encourage everyone to do performance driving school with professional drivers. Lexus had a great program even as of last year I believe so do BMW, Porsche etc.
Totally agree, cars like that can handle those speeds no problem, but a young driver can't, and nobody can on a public road.
Old 05-13-20, 07:05 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have noticed how people behavior changes from state to state, I drove to Dallas and Florida from east cost and people in Texas were on longer smoother stretch of roads were going 80 easy all the time. Most people were cursing along 90ish. I didnt feel unsafe just was little uneasy as I didnt feel like getting pulled over.
Originally Posted by EZZ
If you've ever driven the 5 highway near Camp Pendleton at night from LA to SD, the slowest car on the right goes about 80 mph. The left is pegged easily at 90+ and everyone is happily motoring away without an incident. On my daily commutes, the left lane is easily going 85-90 in many areas. This is the speed at which the freeway moves. It's different everywhere so let's not judge speed according to what your used to in your area.
Old 05-13-20, 09:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I have driven I95 from NY to FL and back.
Especially at night, nobody is going less than 80mph.
Old 05-13-20, 10:18 AM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he also likes old French movies...

Old 05-13-20, 01:04 PM
hippt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is impart

Originally Posted by EZZ
I electronically limit the car to 75mph if anyone else drives my car. All future cars will have this ability hopefully
This is impart why all future cars will be self driving and in major metro areas I welcome it. That is is just crazy stupid, but as a 19year old who got a speeding tkt in 1990 by a commonwealth trooper in his knee high boots and all bashed my forehead a couple of times on the front hood after I was instructed to assume assume the position. When it was over I had a headache and a golf ball size bump. I kept ,my composure and yes sir, no sir my way out of it and didn;t have to spend the night in jail. I was issued a tkt that required me to drive 3hrs back to the commonwealth ( doing the speed limit of course) in the summer to go to court where I was awarded a nice $500 tkt. and lectured about the commonwealth and how I should behave while in it's m******* population. Ouch!!. So, as you can see I can empathize with stupidity. Hopefully his experience with the law was different and that he to will realize thats no place to be going that fast and if young or even old and dumb do it at 3am

Quick Reply: Driver caught speeding at 191 MPH - Toronto