Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver caught speeding at 191 MPH - Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 01:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by hippt
This is impart why all future cars will be self driving and in major metro areas I welcome it. That is is just crazy stupid, but as a 19year old who got a speeding tkt in 1990 by a commonwealth trooper in his knee high boots and all bashed my forehead a couple of times on the front hood after I was instructed to assume assume the position. When it was over I had a headache and a golf ball size bump. I kept ,my composure and yes sir, no sir my way out of it and didn;t have to spend the night in jail. I was issued a tkt that required me to drive 3hrs back to the commonwealth ( doing the speed limit of course) in the summer to go to court where I was awarded a nice $500 tkt. and lectured about the commonwealth and how I should behave while in it's m******* population. Ouch!!. So, as you can see I can empathize with stupidity. Hopefully his experience with the law was different and that he to will realize thats no place to be going that fast and if young or even old and dumb do it at 3am
If that happened to me, i have a really good built in dashcam and i'd be really rich because I have a really awesome lawyer that could get me a sizeable sum for police brutality. such is life in cali
Old 05-13-20, 03:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I have driven I95 from NY to FL and back.
Especially at night, nobody is going less than 80mph.
But that's precisely it, the limit on most stretches of i95 is set at 65 and the cops won't bother you if you don't exceed 80 and not behaving erratically. If the limit was set at 80, many would drive 90+, and that's just insanely unsafe no matter how capable your car you think may be.

That being said, its not surprising for a 19 year old to be stupid and reach this kind of speed in a C63. When I had my first car, a Honda Civic with less than 100hp on skinny 13" tires I also maxed it out of stupidity. I think it reached around 120mph and felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment.
Old 05-13-20, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
But that's precisely it, the limit on most stretches of i95 is set at 65 and the cops won't bother you if you don't exceed 80 and not behaving erratically. If the limit was set at 80, many would drive 90+, and that's just insanely unsafe no matter how capable your car you think may be.
Studies have actually found that to be untrue. That the set speed limit really doesn't impact defacto speeds on a roadway.

The gold standard is the Parker Report.

https://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel/index.html

The objectives of this research was to determine the effects of raising and lowering posted speed limits on driver behavior and accidents for non-limited access rural and urban highways. Speed and accident data were collected in 22 States at 100 sites before and after speed limits were altered. Before and after data were also collected simultaneously at comparison sites where speed limits were not changed to control for the time trends. Repeated measurements were made at 14 sites to examine short - and long-term effects of speed limit changes.The results of the study indicated that lowering posted speed limits by as much as 20 mi/h (32 km/h), or raising speed limits by as much as 15 mi/h (24 km/h) had little effect on motorist' speed. The majority of motorist did not drive 5 mi/h (8 km/h) above the posted speed limits when speed limits were raised, nor did they reduce their speed by 5 or 10 mi/h (8 or 16 km/h) when speed limits are lowered. Data collected at the study sites indicated that the majority of speed limits are posed below the average speed of traffic. Lowering speed limits below the 50th percentile does not reduce accidents, but does significantly increase driver violations of the speed limit. Conversely, raising the posted speed limits did not increase speeds or accidents.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-13-20 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 04:24 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think it reached around 120mph and felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment.
well it's unfair to say 120 is insanely unsafe in a new C63 just because it felt unsafe in your old civic... it's all about how close something is operating at it's limit

100 mph in the right car on the right road can be genuinely relaxing
Old 05-13-20, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Studies have actually found that to be untrue. That the set speed limit really doesn't impact defacto speeds on a roadway.
Och has a point. I have to agree. A lot of people are never satisfied. No matter where you set the limit, especially within reason, a lot of people always want more...and will try to get it with their right foot.
Old 05-13-20, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well it's unfair to say 120 is insanely unsafe in a new C63 just because it felt unsafe in your old civic... it's all about how close something is operating at it's limit

100 mph in the right car on the right road can be genuinely relaxing
The majority of our roads just aren't made for those speeds. There are certainly exceptions out west, but roads in populated areas, no. Another issue is quality of our roads, the road surfaces in America aren't maintained well enough either.

I'm a pretty fast driver, I'm a set it at 80 guy on the highway, but nowhere in my 25 or so years of driving up and down the eastern seaboard, have I ever felt the need to drive a vehicle over 90MPH, nor have I ever felt in a situation where doing so was safe.
Old 05-13-20, 04:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

The majority of our roads just aren't made for those speeds. There are certainly exceptions out west, but roads in populated areas, no. Another issue is quality of our roads, the road surfaces in America aren't maintained well enough either.

I'm a pretty fast driver, I'm a set it at 80 guy on the highway, but nowhere in my 25 or so years of driving up and down the eastern seaboard, have I ever felt the need to drive a vehicle over 90MPH, nor have I ever felt in a situation where doing so was safe.
well of course there's no need to, but it's good for the soul lol

i'm a set the cruise at 70-80 guy too, but occasionally a nice stretch of road will present itself where one can safely and comfortably let the engine stretch its legs a bit before casually coasting back down to regular speeds... in CT anything over 85 is a reckless which is ridiculous when cars like ours can reach that in a matter of seconds and if need be brake to a full stop even quicker

i agree our roads (and drivers) are generally too crappy to go 100+ the whole time, but i don't see anything wrong with just a short burst to 100-120 in a fast car when there's a break in traffic... a new E63 will go from 60-120 mph in only 7 seconds which you know isn't nearly enough time for anything bad to happen

in many modern (especially high performance) cars i don't think people would have any idea when they first started "speeding" if there wasn't a speedometer
Old 05-13-20, 04:58 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Some of y'all have never driven out west and it really shows.

Speed limit on I-15 through Utah is 80. People regularly exceed that. It's fine. I do 80-85 on the interstate regularly, even here in Nevada where it's only 75 on I-15.
Old 05-13-20, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well of course there's no need to, but it's good for the soul lol

i'm a set the cruise at 70-80 guy too, but occasionally a nice stretch of road will present itself where one can safely and comfortably let the engine stretch its legs a bit before casually coasting back down to regular speeds... in CT anything over 85 is a reckless which is ridiculous when cars like ours can reach that in a matter of seconds and if need be brake to a full stop even quicker

i agree our roads (and drivers) are generally too crappy to go 100+ the whole time, but i don't see anything wrong with just a short burst to 100-120 in a fast car when there's a break in traffic... a new E63 will go from 60-120 mph in only 7 seconds which you know isn't nearly enough time for anything bad to happen

in many modern (especially high performance) cars i don't think people would have any idea when they first started "speeding" if there wasn't a speedometer
Its not about the car. It’s about what’s around the car. I’m sorry, there just isn’t anywhere in CT I have ever seen where driving faster than 85 MPH makes any sense and can be considered safe in any way. It’s a high density, high congestion place.

If you want to drive fast, book a time on a race track. You don’t have a right to put others safety at risk because you want to drive dramatically over the speed limit in a high density place to “feed your soul”. That’s so incredibly selfish.

In VA over 80 is reckless, which is fine to me. 80 and under feels about as fast as is reasonably safe on the roads in VA I have driven on.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Some of y'all have never driven out west and it really shows.

Speed limit on I-15 through Utah is 80. People regularly exceed that. It's fine. I do 80-85 on the interstate regularly, even here in Nevada where it's only 75 on I-15.
Totally, it’s different out west.

What also matters a lot is 50th percentile speed. If you’re in a place where the flow of traffic is 80, and the speed limit is 55 then 80 is safer than 55.

But, there isn’t ANYWHERE in the mid Atlantic, Northeast where the 50th percentile speed is anywhere near 100 MPH. It’s most commonly 70-75 on a good moving road.
Old 05-13-20, 05:24 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Its not about the car. It’s about what’s around the car. I’m sorry, there just isn’t anywhere in CT I have ever seen where driving faster than 85 MPH makes any sense and can be considered safe in any way. It’s a high density, high congestion place.
so you're saying there's not a single time EVER in the entire northeast when there's nothing around the car? here's a freeze frame from a video taken on the long island expressway, one of the most heavily travelled roads in the country and the limit is 55 the entire way

idk how you can look at that and claim anything could happen to anybody... "the driver" of the E55 was doing about 90 at the time of the pic and wasn't gaining on the car in front
Old 05-13-20, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, it’s dark, you could encounter traffic at any moment. And you said the guy was doing 90. Not 100, not 160.

Go. To. A. Track.
Old 05-13-20, 06:01 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

No, it’s dark, you could encounter traffic at any moment. And you said the guy was doing 90. Not 100, not 160.

Go. To. A. Track.
well it sounds like we've reached an impasse as to which of our own illegal activities is the least unacceptable lol

also i have been. to. a. track. and while driving around the pocono raceway tri-oval was a cool experience i really don't have the right type of cars for all that repeated hard braking and cornering, the LS and E-class are long distance high speed cruisers not race cars
Old 05-13-20, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Your outlook will change as you get older
Old 05-13-20, 06:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Your outlook will change as you get older
Unless he's a juvenile like me