Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Who is asking people to pay for a car without knowing what it looks like? Provide some examples.
Old 08-25-20, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Who is asking people to pay for a car without knowing what it looks like? Provide some examples.

Well, we saw numerous samples on the Bronco. People were putting down deposits and re-orders even before the final design and shape was finalized and/or revealed....and after it was revealed, there were pre-orders in the six-figures. And, Yes, Ford was no better here......IMO they also kept the both the Bronco and Bronco Sport under wraps too long.
Old 08-25-20, 05:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, bit. No offense, but that's a lame argument....apples and oranges. I am not producing something to sell to the public. I am not asking people to spend their hard-earned money on something that I am trying to keep under wraps.

In fact, one reason (among many) why I chose an Encore GX as my next vehicle, is that Buick (and Chevy, for their Trailblazer version) didn't try to play a Peek-a-Boo, Hide-and-Go-Seek game with that nonsense tape and bras. They basically did what an automaker is supposed to do....developed it, announced it out in the open with no hiding, and put it on the market for sale. Sensible marketing brings its rewards.....my checkbook. And, going by Trailblazer sales-figures, my opinion is not alone....it spends less time in the dealer lot than any other vehicle in the American market (we have a separate Car Chat thread on that).

Now, as far as I'm concerned, back to the W223.
That makes no sense. You have to test a car in the wild to know if it works. Tons of companies don't want their latest and greatest out in the world to see before its ready. That is smart marketing where you control the message and how its released into the public. Apple does this with their iphones which are hidden from sight in cases that hide the phone from general public until they are ready to be unveiled. The best marketing companies do this and they are much more successful than the ones that are bad at it.
Old 08-25-20, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People put refundable deposits down on the Bronco to hold their place in line, they can get that money back at anytime. Ford has absolutely not asked people to buy Bronco's without releasing the vehicle's design.

The whole point is to build excitement for the unveiling of the vehicle, if you just show everybody what the vehicle is every step along the way, what's the excitement in that?

Fundamentally, again this is a business not a public service.
Old 08-25-20, 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

So did anyone see the new S class interior images? The full reveal was a week ago. It’s nice but I think it’s too much touch screen.
Old 08-25-20, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So did anyone see the new S class interior images? The full reveal was a week ago. It’s nice but I think it’s too much touch screen.

They may have been revealed, but I'll post a few here. This is the 2021 S-class interior. I agree with you that it is a lot of screen....almost like a Tesla Model 3.

And, BTW, it looks like they got that sweep-up/ski-jump style on the screen from the recent Toyota Avalon.

Look at the spokes on that steering wheel. It looks like the electronic-control-panel of a Boeing 747 LOL

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-20 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 05:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They may have been revealed, but I'll post a few here. Thisis the 2021 S-class interior. I agree with you that it is a lot of screen....almost like a Tesla Model 3.

And, BTW, it looks like they got that sweep-up/ski-jump style on the screen from the recent Toyota Avalon.

I'd be happy if the Tesla 3 looked like that. Its actually more like the Model S/X...although much classier
Old 08-25-20, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those are not the pictures of the actual interior, thats the mock up used to showcase the MBUX system. The real interior pictures are up in the thread.
Old 08-25-20, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Mmkay what? A C&D 40,000 mile road test is a legitimate objective review. 14MPG, wow. 17 hwy. An LX570 from 2008 gets about that. And that's with the BS "mild hybrid" junk. Clearly it doesn't work.
FCA's system may not work, but that doesn't mean it can't work for any brand.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-26-20 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 09:51 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Just to note, the 48V mild hybrid system has always been about beating emissions targets (especially NOx, which is why they are so prevalent on European diesels) at as minimal a cost as possible (48V mild hybrids are about a quarter the cost of full hybrid systems, and much lower development cost to integrate into existing designs), so it's no surprise there is minimal mpg benefit in real world testing.
Old 08-26-20, 01:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Mmkay what? A C&D 40,000 mile road test is a legitimate objective review. 14MPG, wow. 17 hwy. An LX570 from 2008 gets about that. And that's with the BS "mild hybrid" junk. Clearly it doesn't work.

I sure wouldn't place much faith in Mercedes or BMW systems, either.

I don't want any of that crap on a vehicle I drive. Fuel saving stuff doesn't make the car better, it makes it worse.
you don’t buy a mild hybrid for fuel gains. The public made that clear with all those GM mild hybrids that failed miserably. The 48V system, while being a mild hybrid, opens up so much more possibilities for engineers. At least for Mercedes, it can now power the new air suspension that was previously hindered. It is also used to fill in power gaps or the turbo/shifting. It is also used to perfect the start stop system. And also, reducing all kinds of parasitic losses by removing unnecessary belts and AC system.

the slight 1-2mpg is just a bonus. Not the star of the show.
Old 08-26-20, 01:52 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
you don’t buy a mild hybrid for fuel gains. The public made that clear with all those GM mild hybrids that failed miserably. The 48V system, while being a mild hybrid, opens up so much more possibilities for engineers. At least for Mercedes, it can now power the new air suspension that was previously hindered. It is also used to fill in power gaps or the turbo/shifting. It is also used to perfect the start stop system. And also, reducing all kinds of parasitic losses by removing unnecessary belts and AC system.

the slight 1-2mpg is just a bonus. Not the star of the show.
I think I'd still rather just have a well-designed PHEV though. The 48V mild systems seem like a half-measure (or even quarter-measure) popularized by the big corps because they are desperate for any low-cost solution to meet emissions standards.
Old 09-01-20, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The reveal is tomorrow, but as usual some pics have leaked out:

I like the exterior, like the rear more than I thought I would, just REALLY don't like this dash design:

Old 09-01-20, 03:25 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Maybe it'll grow on me but so far I like the W222 better. Inside and out.
Old 09-01-20, 03:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What were they thinking with that interior? Just terrible, huge step down.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)