Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 11:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Might (?) be that small button on the underside of the fob.
No that likely releases the physical key
Old 09-03-20, 06:37 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Push and hold the lock button for panic , usually for 3+seconds.

Without a physical panic button, it keeps accidental alarm set-offs to a minimum.
Old 09-03-20, 07:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Is it me drinking the proverbial Tesla Kool-aid or did the latest Mercedes Benz S class "adopt" a whole bunch of features that have been on a Tesla Model S for over 5 years now (some features even longer such as the minimalist interior and massive central screen)?
  1. Pop out door handles
  2. Massive central portrait oriented screen that has replaced the majority of the buttons, dials and switches
  3. Personalized driver profiles (seat heating, HVAC settings, suspension height settings, seat position, steering, mirror position etc). I think the Tesla system is even better as its connected to the key fob (don't know if that is the case with the S class, so this may be the same or not)
  4. Summon

Don't get me wrong, I think the latest S class looks absolutely amazing on the inside, and the quality will be second to none, but I can't help but see so many things that were in a Tesla Model S for so long now. That doesn't take anything away from the S class. I think its an amazing car overall.

I think the exterior is boring looking - they decided to play it safe.

The latest Porsche Panamera also adopted the minimalist interior (much fewer buttons etc) and the Taycan of course followed that as well.
Old 09-03-20, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Is it me drinking the proverbial Tesla Kool-aid or did the latest Mercedes Benz S class "adopt" a whole bunch of features that have been on a Tesla Model S for over 5 years now (some features even longer such as the minimalist interior and massive central screen)?
  1. Pop out door handles
  2. Massive central portrait oriented screen that has replaced the majority of the buttons, dials and switches
  3. Personalized driver profiles (seat heating, HVAC settings, suspension height settings, seat position, steering, mirror position etc). I think the Tesla system is even better as its connected to the key fob (don't know if that is the case with the S class, so this may be the same or not)
  4. Summon
Not just you!
Old 09-03-20, 07:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Hameed, they definitely moved strongly in the direction the Tesla S. but hey, Tesla took the name 'S' from Mercedes. i kid

i believe tesla did what they did because teslas are a mobile software platform first, so having loads of buttons just doesn't make sense.

other manufacturers are slowly coming around, and in the case of high end luxury vehicles, they have little choice because of the HUGE number of features on these vehicles, and them being connected, and needing to be updateable.

no doubt older customers of bentleys and rolls royces are going to want ***** and buttons, and some of those will stick around (bentley pull stops!) for nostalgia/branding, but the trends are inevitable, and unstoppable.

i have to say i DON'T want a car that's all screens. i actually like buttons, *****, and toggles for climate, seating and infotainment in particular.

on your tesla, are the seat movement controls on the seat, the door, or on the screen?

Old 09-03-20, 07:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
other manufacturers are slowly coming around, and in the case of high end luxury vehicles, they have little choice because of the HUGE number of features on these vehicles, and them being connected, and needing to be updateable.
I forgot those two features as well from the Model S.
  1. Connected
  2. Updatable

on your tesla, are the seat movement controls on the seat, the door, or on the screen?
On the seat
Old 09-03-20, 08:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

On the seat
hopefully they don't move to the screen too although i could see that happening as it would reduce cost and increase reliability
Old 09-03-20, 08:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

hopefully they don't move to the screen too although i could see that happening as it would reduce cost and increase reliability
The seat heating is accessed through screen
Old 09-03-20, 11:51 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

This one looks pretty good

Old 09-03-20, 11:57 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

To be fair, personalized settings are not new to the car industry. For a long time, Lexus had that linked to key fobs, but they didn't fully take advantage of it. I believe on Tesla, you still need to select your user profile when you enter the car. On the S class, it seems that you can do fingerprint, or it can recognize your voice, or it can recognize your face.
Old 09-03-20, 12:13 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by RXSF
To be fair, personalized settings are not new to the car industry. For a long time, Lexus had that linked to key fobs, but they didn't fully take advantage of it. I believe on Tesla, you still need to select your user profile when you enter the car.
Only if you have more than 2 profiles as you can save one profile per key fob. So with 2 key fobs, there is no selection required when you get in the car. Its tied to the key fob. You just get in the car, press the brake pedal, put the gear in D or R and go. No button press or anything. That's how all cars should be (this was 8 years ago......)! None of this legacy stuff requiring you to press a button.

Last edited by Hameed; 09-03-20 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 12:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Only if you have more than 2 profiles as you can save one profile per key fob. So with 2 key fobs, there is no selection required when you get in the car. Its tied to the key fob. You just get in the car, press the brake pedal, put the gear in D or R and go. No button press or anything. That's how all cars should be (this was 8 years ago......)! None of this legacy stuff requiring you to press a button.
Well, most Teslas don't have key fobs and is attached to the Phone so you can have as many profiles as you want. People have put in multiple profiles that have different seating positions for longer drives or other situations so i'd expect other cars to do this as we transition to a keyfobless world
Old 09-03-20, 01:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If Mercedes didn't add the things that we are now saying they copied Tesla, would we be complaining they didn't? Tesla added a lot of cool stuff to there cars without a doubt, and now we come to expect it on new cars. The retracting door handles are now in practically every new and hip luxury car. If Mercedes didn't follow, we would be saying they aren't as cool.

Anyway, with the personalization, it seems that the MB system can also create profiles for you even when you are not the driver. Each seat as a profile and will customize the ambient lighting, massage, etc to that seat, even in the rear.
Old 09-03-20, 01:15 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
To be fair, personalized settings are not new to the car industry.
Even Porsche has had linked keyfob profiles for a while too, I'd have to imagine it's true for most luxury marques.
Old 09-03-20, 01:40 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, most Teslas don't have key fobs and is attached to the Phone so you can have as many profiles as you want. People have put in multiple profiles that have different seating positions for longer drives or other situations so i'd expect other cars to do this as we transition to a keyfobless world
Yes agreed, good point.

I was being specific to the Model S and you can have more than 2 profiles.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)