Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

And the big issue there is that screen just isn't very high resolution, its LCD not OLED, etc.
Old 05-15-22, 05:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And the big issue there is that screen just isn't very high resolution, its LCD not OLED, etc.
True. But it’s too recessed. Should up close. Or don’t even bother

Toyota should just do optitron like Land Cruiser new model and be done with it until they get to OLED

Old 05-15-22, 05:38 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I just don't think its that big a deal either way. There are plenty of physical gauge clusters which look terrible, and there are many that look great. Same is true of virtual gauge clusters. Toyota/Lexus doesn't do a great job with theirs, but Mercedes are OLED screen etc and very adaptable and really are excellent.

Another great thing, my wife hates analog gauges, so when she drives the car her profile pulls up the progressive screen, and when I get back in, my profile pulls back up the classic layout which I prefer.

She loves driving the S560, where she never liked my LSs, and the technology is a big reason why. She likes tech, I'm not that into it either way but the car meets both our wants.
You just got done saying in the other thread that you got rid of your LS because it didn't have carplay lol. Seems to me that you're really into tech. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 05-15-22, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I like this one from the F10 5-series, even though this one obviously is having major issues.
Its not having issues, its not running. Note the RPM is zero, its in accessory run mode and all the warning lights come on.

Regarding the tech in cars. Some of us don't want to be bothered to sift through numerous menus to adjust AC or music commands. Yeah, you can turn certain things off but you still have to use the screen for things and it's a hassle. That's why I go out of my way to get cars that don't have screens, because they're a pain. A button is so much easier to use than tapping all these menus.
When the system is well designed, you dont have to do that. In the W223 S Class the HVAC controls are always at the bottom of the screen. I prefer hard controls like my W222 has, but this isn't a big deal:

As for audio, I've literally never used the audio controls on my S560, I use CarPlay. Just use CarPlay and every car's controls will be exactly the same all the time. W223 has CarPlay.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-15-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 05:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You just got done saying in the other thread that you got rid of your LS because it didn't have carplay lol. Seems to me that you're really into tech. Unless I'm missing something.
I'm not "really into tech" but I don't dislike tech, and tech that is well implemented I like. I like the virtual gauges on my S560 a lot, its something that I have liked more and more as I've owned the car where I didn't like them or dislike them when I got it.

I am not anti tech like you are.
Old 05-15-22, 05:44 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I'm not "really into tech" but I don't dislike tech, and tech that is well implemented I like. I like the virtual gauges on my S560 a lot, its something that I have liked more and more as I've owned the car where I didn't like them or dislike them when I got it.

I am not anti tech like you are.
I was never anti tech before, I'm just tired of it everywhere. It's a bit too much. I go into Best Buy and I have no idea what any of these robots or any of that stuff is. It's gotten out of hand.
Old 05-15-22, 05:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

I don't like the fact that screens lack depth and can have issues with lag/reflection, I like how Audi did it with the twin "analogue" gauges with a screen in the center but honestly it's all obsolete. Stuff should move to HUDs with everything you would actually want from a screen displayed up there with the dash being a control screen and nothing else outside of maybe some backup gauges or something. It makes no sense to have to look down at the dash when we now have really good ways to implement HUDs, that's one thing the LS500 does well. The D5 has an amazing system but it really should just be via HUD and not wasted by being below sightline.

A screen is just not special at all. Anything and everything has one and unless you have a really nice one like in the 222/3 it lacks in ways that get annoying fast.
Old 05-15-22, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was never anti tech before, I'm just tired of it everywhere. It's a bit too much. I go into Best Buy and I have no idea what any of these robots or any of that stuff is. It's gotten out of hand.
It hasn't gotten out of hand, you just don't like it. Lots of other people like it a lot.

If you don't like it...don't use it. Thats the point of this exhange, the W223 has a LOT of tech, but if you don't want to use it, just don't use it. Set the gauges on "gauges" and hook up CarPlay, and ignore the rest of it.
Old 05-15-22, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
I don't like the fact that screens lack depth and can have issues with lag/reflection, I like how Audi did it with the twin "analogue" gauges with a screen in the center but honestly it's all obsolete. Stuff should move to HUDs with everything you would actually want from a screen displayed up there with the dash being a control screen and nothing else outside of maybe some backup gauges or something. It makes no sense to have to look down at the dash when we now have really good ways to implement HUDs, that's one thing the LS500 does well.
Screens coming out today have virtual depth, which actually works amazingly well. But, well done screens do have depth, mine does. The deep blacks of the OLED have a lot to do with that.

A screen is just not special at all. Anything and everything has one and unless you have a really nice one like in the 222/3 it lacks in ways that get annoying fast.
This statement conflicts with itself. Screens can be special, the OLED screens in a Mercedes are indeed special.

And what was special about this?

Bring on the screens lol
Old 05-15-22, 05:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its not having issues, its not running. Note the RPM is zero, its in accessory run mode and all the warning lights come on.

When the system is well designed, you dont have to do that. In the W223 S Class the HVAC controls are always at the bottom of the screen. I prefer hard controls like my W222 has, but this isn't a big deal:

As for audio, I've literally never used the audio controls on my S560, I use CarPlay. Just use CarPlay and every car's controls will be exactly the same all the time. W223 has CarPlay.

These touch screen AC controls are absolutely awful.
Old 05-15-22, 05:55 PM
xjokerz
Racer

It hasn't gotten out of hand, you just don't like it. Lots of other people like it a lot.
All this tech is making people lazy in this world. What is the point of a smart trash can. Heard about those. You throw away an empty paper towel roll and it keeps track of how many you have left, and it'll re-order accordingly. I don't get the point. Lol

Bring on the screens lol
Ugly color scheme and all those notches aside, I don't see much wrong with this.
Old 05-15-22, 05:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Screens coming out today have virtual depth, which actually works amazingly well. But, well done screens do have depth, mine does. The deep blacks of the OLED have a lot to do with that.

This statement conflicts with itself. Screens can be special, the OLED screens in a Mercedes are indeed special.

Bring on the screens lol
Is that a diesel Merc gauge cluster or a GM truck?

A lot of cars had ugly gauges until the LS400 came out with luminescent pointed and 3d depth effect.
Old 05-15-22, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
These touch screen AC controls are absolutely awful.
Says the guy who has never used them.

They're fine. Not as good as physical buttons I agree but its not something that would make or break me buying a car, and you don't have to look through menus to get to them. And with the excellent HVAC system in the car, I hardly ever change anything anyways.

All this tech is making people lazy in this world. What is the point of a smart trash can. Heard about those. You throw away an empty paper towel roll and it keeps track of how many you have left, and it'll re-order accordingly. I don't get the point. Lol
Your opinion, I disagree. And like it or not tech isn't going anywhere.

The point of what you describe is that it adds paper towels to your shopping/order list and notifies you when you need to order them. If that doesn't interest you, don't buy a smart trash can? Why does it existing bother you?

Ugly color scheme and all those notches aside, I don't see much wrong with this.
Theres nothing "wrong" with them, they just aren't anything special or to be excited about or to be sad that we no longer have. They are crappy plastic gauges....BFD...may as well be a screen.
Old 05-15-22, 06:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

This was the gauge cluster in my wifes old X6M - gorgeous, clear, easy to read, timeless, and true to BMW.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)-kus8j6l.jpg

This is the garbage in new X6M - it has a standard mode and "M" mode, both of which are equally ridiculous. Bring back carburetors, lol.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)-elddb8n.jpg

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)-t4sxnav.jpg

Old 05-15-22, 06:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Those last two look like something you see in Star Trek. That and they're ugly. The first is the best because it's clean, have a nice appearance, and doesn't have all that other garbage you don't need.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)