Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The other point...this progress will continue whether we like it or not, so why not be positive about it instead of negative?
can't speak for joker, but resistance to change is usually rooted in fear of loss of control.

So much of life is how you choose to react to things that are beyond your control.
100% and most things are beyond our control.
Old 05-16-22, 04:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

We are totally in the future but just don't realize it because it's normal life, but technology is insane these days. I sometimes bych about it, but then when I order all my xmas for everyone gifts from bed, turn my thermostat up or down, set my alarm, smart lights, etc with my phone or computer I realize technology really is wonderful. Back to the Future 2 did get a lot of things right. I remember just being in complete awe of that movie (I was like 8). We are living in that pretty much minus the flying cars, if you adjust the technology a bit. The kids with the fancy sunglasses on at the table, same thing as us being on our phones.
Old 05-17-22, 03:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Regular BMWs used to have orange gauges, and M models had white gauges, both were phenomenal. I know I'm nitpicking, since I don't even look at the gauges much, the HUD has made them redundant, but I'm a minimalist and I just feel cozy and comfy in a car with proper gauges, and irritated in cars with all sorts of tasteless graphics.
pretty funny that you don't like screens yet the HUD you like is a screen pointed toward the windshield to reflect back at you. and i agree, HUDs are wonderful. i have them on both my vehicles.
Old 05-17-22, 05:55 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
pretty funny that you don't like screens yet the HUD you like is a screen pointed toward the windshield to reflect back at you. and i agree, HUDs are wonderful. i have them on both my vehicles.
It's different, I love the fact I can just retract the screen in my A8 but I wish the HUD did more. 99% of the time I keep the screen hidden since it doesn't have anything useful to add
Old 05-17-22, 05:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Correct, we all have our preferences. For me the HUD has been one of the greatest features, as the gauges are pretty useless to me since I am tall and I bring my steering wheel all the way down where it blocks the upper half of the gauges. We all have our weird preferences, and I like traditional designs. Visually I like physical gauges, and physical buttons for tactile feel. I absolutely cant stand things like column mounted shifters, I like to have a shifter on the center console even if its electronic. I don't know why, but many people are just like me in that regard.
Old 05-17-22, 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Correct, we all have our preferences. For me the HUD has been one of the greatest features, as the gauges are pretty useless to me since I am tall and I bring my steering wheel all the way down where it blocks the upper half of the gauges. We all have our weird preferences, and I like traditional designs. Visually I like physical gauges, and physical buttons for tactile feel. I absolutely cant stand things like column mounted shifters, I like to have a shifter on the center console even if its electronic. I don't know why, but many people are just like me in that regard.
i'm not a fan of column shifters either, but i'm even less of a fan of giant old school tall shift levers with pleather boots around them, they look and feel like crap to me.

i like buttons/*****/levers for some things... both my cars have toggle (up/down) for climate temp up/down which i like. i agree with most that climate through a screen is pretty terrible because you must take your eyes off the road for one thing.

so i'm not an 'all you can eat' screens fan... i don't think something like mb's 'hyperscreen' would be a plus in any buying decision for me.
Old 05-17-22, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I prefer all of those things too, but any one of them isn't going to stop me from buying a car that I like. If I designed my S Class myself I would have put the shifter on the console, but its not a deal breaker.
Old 05-17-22, 01:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

I’ve always desired an HUD.
Old 05-17-22, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I’ve always desired an HUD.
I am kinda meh on them. They used to have them back in the 90s, Pontiac used to do it really well
Old 05-17-22, 03:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm a fan of HUD. Especially in unfamiliar areas. We recently took a road trip to Charlotte and the NAV and speed limit info going thru unfamiliar cities (Indy, Cincy, Louisville, Charlotte etc.) without taking eyes off of the road is great.
Old 05-17-22, 03:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am kinda meh on them. They used to have them back in the 90s, Pontiac used to do it really well
Modern HUDs are a far cry from the 90ies pontiac, lol. They are fully interactive, they display phone calls, nav, infotainment, speed, warnings, etc. In our BMWs like 90% of relevant interface is available via the HUD and steering wheel control, super convenient.
Old 05-17-22, 05:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Modern HUDs are a far cry from the 90ies pontiac, lol. They are fully interactive, they display phone calls, nav, infotainment, speed, warnings, etc. In our BMWs like 90% of relevant interface is available via the HUD and steering wheel control, super convenient.
Exactly. Add in a G meter and it's perfect
Old 06-03-22, 04:51 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Really good review from Everyday Driver. Their comments about the interior especially are spot-on (lol'd at "the iPad with a trashcan behind it"). And the poor LS500 continues to be a punching bag.

Old 06-04-22, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

That’s a great review, they nail the descriptions of the driving experience of the S Class.

And the trash can thing is why I wouldn’t get the HUD.
Old 06-06-22, 01:15 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I just sold mine today since I have another vehicle on order. I almost shed a tear.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)