Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I just sold mine today since I have another vehicle on order. I almost shed a tear.
Oh wow, that was quick! What brought you to sell it and what are you getting next?
Old 06-06-22, 02:32 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh wow, that was quick! What brought you to sell it and what are you getting next?
I trade in every year 1-2 years. To make a long story short, I recently discovered that almost all Auto Finance companies are no longer taking lease payoffs from other brand dealers. So I could only sell to a MB dealer or buy it from the bank. I guess the banks were tired of people getting positive equity from other dealers. I have a Range Rover, G Class, and Escalade on order. The Escalade is first on my list because the dealer has promised MSRP.

Old 06-06-22, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Has it been a year already? Wow.

Yeah I have heard that, pretty underhanded IMO. You can buy it out and resell it but thats a huge pain.
Old 06-06-22, 02:43 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Has it been a year already? Wow.

Yeah I have heard that, pretty underhanded IMO. You can buy it out and resell it but thats a huge pain.
Right. And with the economy being iffy at the moment, and dealer inventories rising, I didn't want to wait too long and the car depreciates too much. So I decided to sell it back to MB. Hopefully in another 3 months I'll have one of the vehicles I've ordered.
Old 06-06-22, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right. And with the economy being iffy at the moment, and dealer inventories rising, I didn't want to wait too long and the car depreciates too much. So I decided to sell it back to MB. Hopefully in another 3 months I'll have one of the vehicles I've ordered.
Did MB offer enough to get you out of it whole?
Old 06-06-22, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I trade in every year 1-2 years. To make a long story short, I recently discovered that almost all Auto Finance companies are no longer taking lease payoffs from other brand dealers. So I could only sell to a MB dealer or buy it from the bank. I guess the banks were tired of people getting positive equity from other dealers. I have a Range Rover, G Class, and Escalade on order. The Escalade is first on my list because the dealer has promised MSRP.
Pitfalls of leasing
Old 06-06-22, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pitfalls of leasing
Never used to be lol, thats something that many people (myself included) never thought would be an issue. BUT, for me I will just compare the leasing manufacturer's offer and a third party offer, and if its worth it I will buy the car out then trade it. Carmax will find a way to make that work easier. Not everybody has the ability to just write a check for the payoff of their leased vehicle though...

Just the tax savings alone I would still have to lease.

Note, TFS/LFS are absent from this list! Only SETFS which is a separate entity.
Old 06-06-22, 03:10 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Did MB offer enough to get you out of it whole?
I had to come up with a few thousand after fighting with a few offers. But depending on when I take delivery on the next vehicle, I'm not really out of any money when it's all said and done.
Old 06-06-22, 03:13 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pitfalls of leasing
I'm contemplating whether or not I want to lease the next vehicle. But since I get new vehicles so frequently, leasing may be the best option for me. Also some of the cost can be written off through my business.
Old 06-06-22, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had to come up with a few thousand after fighting with a few offers. But depending on when I take delivery on the next vehicle, I'm not really out of any money when it's all said and done.
So annoying! Did you have Carmax appraise it too? I'd be interested to know how much more they would have been.

Personally, I don't want to make money on them, I just want to trade out clean or as close to clean as possible.
Old 06-06-22, 06:19 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

So annoying! Did you have Carmax appraise it too? I'd be interested to know how much more they would have been.

Personally, I don't want to make money on them, I just want to trade out clean or as close to clean as possible.
Naw I didn't try. I'm curious as well. But the last time I checked, they didn't have any W223s at any of their locations so I'm not sure if they could give me a strong value.
Old 06-06-22, 11:53 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Never used to be lol, thats something that many people (myself included) never thought would be an issue. BUT, for me I will just compare the leasing manufacturer's offer and a third party offer, and if its worth it I will buy the car out then trade it. Carmax will find a way to make that work easier. Not everybody has the ability to just write a check for the payoff of their leased vehicle though...

Just the tax savings alone I would still have to lease.

Note, TFS/LFS are absent from this list! Only SETFS which is a separate entity.
Yeah this is new, it makes it even more complicated to factor in if one should buy or lease.
Old 06-07-22, 02:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If the economy goes down, i wonder if all the automakers will amend this rule and allow 3rd parties to purchase a lease. Definitely not right what they are doing.
Old 06-07-22, 03:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I had to buy out my BMW lease for the same reason. It only cost me about $300 to reregister it in my name and overnight a check to BMWFS. It was worth it for me since I was able to get about $5k more when I sold it to another dealer vs. breaking even giving it back to BMW.

It doesn’t cost much to buy out leases in MD because we pay sales tax for the entire car up front on leases vs CA where you would don’t pay full sales tax upon lease inception so you would have to pay a lot more to buy out your lease. Probably not worth it for you and would cost you more.
Old 06-07-22, 09:08 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm

It doesn’t cost much to buy out leases in MD because we pay sales tax for the entire car up front on leases vs CA where you would don’t pay full sales tax upon lease inception so you would have to pay a lot more to buy out your lease. Probably not worth it for you and would cost you more.
Very true.

Quick Reply: 2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)