Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thats it for the Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 06:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The essence of Acura losing it's way is embedded in the loss of the Legend and it's transformation to the RLX. Certainly could have been played out differently, and we'd not be seeing them drop another sedan. Other brands make it happen. There is no good reason why Acura can't either. Everything else is just an excuse. Let's hope the upcoming TLX helps them turn the corner.
The RL/RLX has been uncompetitive in its class LONG before the move for companies to slash sedans.
Old 05-15-20, 06:21 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wikipedia considered it a true full-sizer, not a tweeter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CT6
Motorola is correct. the CT6 was between the midsize and flagship/executive class of sedans. It might be where Short Wheel Base Fullsize sedans were in the past, but U.S. Market has largely gone away with that sliver.

CTS was squarely midsize, sized right alongside the 5 series, E-class etc. Large part of the downfall was that it tried to price right alongside them as well.

As for the demise of the RLX, good riddance. The "World's Best (and most overpriced) Honda Accord" will go to the grave. Truly hope the TLX has what it takes to make a mark in the industry.
Old 05-15-20, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Motorola is correct. the CT6 was between the midsize and flagship/executive class of sedans. It might be where Short Wheel Base Fullsize sedans were in the past, but U.S. Market has largely gone away with that sliver.
Fine.....but Wikipedia disagrees wth you.

As for the demise of the RLX, good riddance. The "World's Best (and most overpriced) Honda Accord" will go to the grave. Truly hope the TLX has what it takes to make a mark in the industry.
Although it is true that people just aren't being many larger sedans any more, I've driven both, and, from what I could tell, the TLX was a lot more than just an overpriced Accord. I could tell the difference in road manners in just the first two blocks. And Accords, at least in the American market, do not offer AWD as an option.
Old 05-15-20, 06:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah yes, Wikipedia, the holy grail of automotive classification and technology. Give me a break. Please know when you're incorrect on competitive segmenting.
Old 05-15-20, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Ah yes, Wikipedia, the holy grail of automotive classification and technology. Give me a break. Please know when you're incorrect on competitive segmenting.
Give you a break? I never said it was a Holy Grail. In fact, there probably is no Holy Grail when it comes to questions like that...I only posted it as one source. For government regulations, the EPA and DOT, in the past, have at least partially-determined what what are considered vehicle-classification sizes, based on interior volume, not exterior vehicle-size. I never liked that system myself, but was (and is) the law.

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, enough of semantics...back to the RLX. Nice sedan...a shame that so few people bought it, but that seems to be the case with a number of its competitors as well. I strongly suspect that the next one to disappear in this class will be the Kia Cadanza.
Old 05-15-20, 08:09 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I strongly suspect that the next one to disappear in this class will be the Kia Cadanza.
Cadenza just got a refresh for this year, so it'll stick around for at least another 3. Same with the Stinger.

Now the Kia K900, I'm surprised HMG hasn't already killed that off yet with Genesis. For all intents and purposes, it's a short wheelbase Genesis G90. It supposedly sells well in Korea, but in the US the numbers are a joke on par with the VW Phaeton.

There is something funny about the Koreans competing with themselves in another segment where there's only a single living entry outside of Europe (the LS).
Old 05-15-20, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Cadenza just got a refresh for this year, so it'll stick around for at least another 3. Same with the Stinger.

Now the Kia K900, I'm surprised HMG hasn't already killed that off yet with Genesis. For all intents and purposes, it's a short wheelbase Genesis G90. It supposedly sells well in Korea, but in the US the numbers are a joke on par with the VW Phaeton.

Agreed that the K900 is an even better candidate for the chopping block.....thanks for bringing that up. But, a mid-cycle refresh for the Cadenza does not necessary prevent the ax from falling.

Look at the latest version of the Buick Lacrosse, for example (I have one). Buick introduced it in 2017, gave it refreshes for both the 2018 and 2019 model-years, and then dropped it for 2020.
Old 05-15-20, 08:27 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

But, a mid-cycle refresh for the Cadenza does not necessary prevent the ax from falling.
You say that, but look how long Kia has kept the K900 in this country despite its double digits sales. Also, GM and Ford's recent willingness to cancel the majority if not their entire sedan lineup is reactionary and not very indicative of standard procedures for refreshes.

Old 05-15-20, 08:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Kia could drop the Cadenza and K900 in the US market and keep them in their home market as well as others where they sell better. Last year they only sold about 32 K900's per month from selected dealerships and about 135 Cadenzas per month. Both models could just quietly go away. Kind of a shame as they both seem to be very good cars in their segments.
Old 05-15-20, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
You say that, but look how long Kia has kept the K900 in this country despite its double digits sales. Also, GM and Ford's recent willingness to cancel the majority if not their entire sedan lineup is reactionary and not very indicative of standard procedures for refreshes.
Well, what I said was that mid-cycle (or lack of mid-cycle) refreshes were not necessarily a sign of axing either way. And, with me, you're preaching to the choir about the GM/Ford sedan-cancellations....I thought both actions were dumb, despite the lack of sales. If and when sedans sales start climbing again (the crossover/SUV craze won't necessarily last forever), they won't be ready for the sedan-resurgence. We're also likely to see demand for electric sedans replace that for gas-powered ones.....the Tesla Model 3 proved that.
Old 05-15-20, 09:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The RL/RLX has been uncompetitive in its class LONG before the move for companies to slash sedans.
Agreed. Even the original RL, while a nice car, was completely out of its league, totally uncompetitive in the segment it was supposed to be part of. Literally every single competitor in that entire class was on a dedicated RWD platform with an available V8 (and a few had V12s), while the RL was a stretched and reworked Accord with FWD and an anemic V6.
Old 05-15-20, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Agreed. Even the original RL, while a nice car, was completely out of its league, totally uncompetitive in the segment it was supposed to be part of. Literally every single competitor in that entire class was on a dedicated RWD platform with an available V8 (and a few had V12s), while the RL was a stretched and reworked Accord with FWD and an anemic V6.

I sampled all three generations of them on the road. The soft-driving 1-Gen RL was essentially a Japanese FWD Buick LeSabre/Lucerne....personally, it drove the way I liked, but did not appeal to a large number of people. Neither did the 2Gen model (which many people complained looked too much like a slightly larger Accord), but it was built like a tank, used superb materials inside and out, and came standard with the excellent SH-AWD system. The 3Gen was a double-disappointment...though a nice, easy-driving sedan more or less like the first one, it lost some build-solidness/material-quality and the standard AWD system.

Old 05-15-20, 11:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just edited the Wikipedia page to say that the CT6 is a pickup truck. Wikipedia is always a suspect source of information.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-15-20 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 01:46 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RLX Hybrid is a seriously good driving vehicle. I rate it above GS450h the way it drives. Everything else about the car inside is so 2003. Recent exterior facelift has made it acceptable looking.
Old 05-15-20, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
RLX Hybrid is a seriously good driving vehicle. I rate it above GS450h the way it drives.

Agree with you. For years, this car has been underrated.

Quick Reply: Thats it for the Acura RLX