Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thats it for the Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 04:50 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thats it for the Acura RLX

Source : https://www.autonews.com/cars-concep...020-model-year

Acura is dropping the aging RLX flagship sedan in North America after the 2020 model year as the luxury brand regroups around nimble sports sedans and athletic crossovers because of changing consumer tastes.

American Honda told dealers Thursday that the low-selling RLX will no longer be imported from Japan, where it's sold as the Honda Legend. The Legend will continue to be offered in Japan and other markets, American Honda said in an email to Automotive News.

"With SUVs leading the luxury market, the highly successful RDX and MDX now serve as volume leaders of the Acura brand," the company said, referring to its compact and midsize crossovers. "At the same time, we will further strengthen our sports sedans, consistent with the performance-focused direction we have been taking Acura over the past four years."

The demise of the RLX for the North American market had been expected. The sedan, a successor to the RL, was introduced for the 2014 model year and has not been significantly overhauled since then. U.S. sales in 2019 numbered just over a thousand units. Its base sticker price of $55,925 with destination charges has been subject to hefty discounts.

Acura was launched in the U.S. in 1986 with two car nameplates: the compact Integra and the midsize Legend, which was replaced by the RL.

Acura is in the middle of a multiyear process to significantly update four core models, which include the ILX compact sedan and the TLX midsize sedan. It began with the redesigned and reengineered RDX two years ago, which will be followed by the TLX and the three-row MDX this year.

"We will soon reveal an all-new 2021 Acura TLX that exemplifies this direction, assuming an elevated position in our lineup as the quickest, best-handling and most well-appointed Acura sedan yet," American Honda said.

The TLX and RLX were already relatively close in size. The TLX is expected to grow for the next generation, making up some of the size difference with the outgoing RLX. Acura has said it's focused on just four volume models — plus the NSX supercar — during the rebuilding process.

With the exit of the RLX, all 2021 Acura models sold in North America will be manufactured at American Honda's plants in central Ohio. An RLX competitor, the Lexus GS, is also being dropped after the 2020 model year because of declining sales. Lexus also has another sedan in the luxury midsize segment, the less expensive ES.
I'm surprised its lasted this long. For those who didn't know, this is the descendent of the Acura Legend. Legend -> 3.5 RL -> RL -> RLX
Old 05-14-20, 05:34 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Not surprised at all. Q70 last year, GS last month, and now RLX. The Japanese have completely surrendered the entire midsize luxury sedan segment. If you want one that's not European, the only option you have is the Genesis G80.
Old 05-14-20, 05:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Early 2000's, all 3 were super strong European alternatives. 10-15 years later, all 3 cancelled. Smh.

Infiniti might be done, no one knows what is going on with Acura, and Lexus is confused. Times sure have changed quick!
Old 05-14-20, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The Japanese have completely surrendered the entire midsize luxury sedan segment. If you want one that's not European, the only option you have is the Genesis G80.

Nope. Cadillac is still very much in the ring with the CT5.
Old 05-14-20, 05:55 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope. Cadillac is still very much in the ring with the CT5.
I thought the CT5 was a tweener like the Stinger. Cadillac cancelled the actually midsize CTS.
Old 05-14-20, 06:14 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Early 2000's, all 3 were super strong European alternatives. 10-15 years later, all 3 cancelled. Smh.

Infiniti might be done, no one knows what is going on with Acura, and Lexus is confused. Times sure have changed quick!
I don’t get it either I still remember when the GS 400 came out it changed the game.
Old 05-14-20, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the CT5 was a tweener like the Stinger. Cadillac cancelled the actually midsize CTS.
The CT5, for the most part, replaces the mid-size CTS....the previous CTS had actually grown some over its predecessors and become in-betwen mid/full-size. The smaller CT4 is definitely a compact sedan.

Anyhow, back to the RLX....sorry to see it go, but apparently few people are buying large sedans these days. The SUV market has simply overwhelmed them.
Old 05-14-20, 06:35 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Mazda wants to move upmarket, but so far we've yet to see the fruits of their labor.

The CT5, for the most part, replaces the mid-size CTS....the previous CTS had actually grown some over its predecessors and become in-betwen mid/full-size. The smaller CT4 is definitely a compact sedan.
I don't think so. The CTS was the same length (196 inches) as a regular midsize sedan. CT5 is shorter (194 inches). CTS was also priced $10K higher than the CT5 similar to the rest of its class. It was the CT6 that was the midsize-fullsize tweener, while the CT4 seems to be pitted against the Audi A3 and BMW 2-Series in all online comparisons. Seems Cadillac wants to avoid directly competing against the Europeans with its tweener lineup.

Old 05-14-20, 06:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

RLX and RL before it were hideous cars.

3.5 RL was nice design.
Legend was great design!

I’m happy they put it out of its misery.

Maybe one day Legend name can come back as full size EV sedan.

The Genesis cars G80/G90 are way better than anything Acura has made in last 2 decades.
Old 05-14-20, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mazda wants to move upmarket, but so far we've yet to see the fruits of their labor.
Well, we did, at one time, with the Mazda Millenia, as it was meant to be the first product offered in what was planned to be Mazda's upscale Amati Division to compete with Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. However, Ford, who owned Mazda at the time, axed the plans for Amati, and the Millenia was sold as a Mazda product, along with the full-size 929. I may be wrong, but I believe the Millenia was the first product in North America to offer the Miller-cycle engine as an option.

The CTS was the same length (196 inches) as a regular midsize sedan. CT5 is shorter (194 inches).
I dont consider two inches very significant.

It was the CT6 that was the midsize-fullsize tweener
Wikipedia considered it a true full-sizer, not a tweeter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CT6

Old 05-14-20, 08:13 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Well, we did, at one time, with the Mazda Millenia, as it was meant to be the first product offered in what was planned to be Mazda's upscale Amati Division to compete with Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. However, Ford, who owned Mazda at the time, axed the plans for Amati, and the Millenia was sold as a Mazda product, along with the full-size 929. I may be wrong, but I believe the Millenia was the first product in North America to offer the Miller-cycle engine as an option.
Yes, I know about the Millenia, but I'm referring to Mazda's more recent effots:

https://www.autonews.com/sales/mazda...ourney-premium

If we do see that rumored RWD Mazda 6 as a result of it, they may be on to something, but I'm not holding my breath since Mazda has been nothing but empty promises for the past decade.

I dont consider two inches very significant.
Very significant if you want your car to succeed the previous one. Cars in general in each segment are getting larger, and yet the CT5 "shrunk" and is priced the same as the smaller compact premium sedans. Not even the Genesis G80 had such a low price, even as the '15 Hyundai Genesis. If Cadillac really wanted the CT5 to be the successor to the CTS, they would have still called it the CTS instead of cancelling the nameplate, and kept the price at or higher than before.

Wikipedia considered it a true full-sizer, not a tweeter.
Pretty much every auto outlet and journalist refers to it as tweener. In fact, Cadillac's own president claimed the CT6, CTS, and ATS were all in the same segment:

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-...lac-ct6-review
Old 05-14-20, 09:09 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most consumers forgot that this even existed anymore, the last Acura made in Japan at this point.
Old 05-15-20, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The essence of Acura losing it's way is embedded in the loss of the Legend and it's transformation to the RLX. Certainly could have been played out differently, and we'd not be seeing them drop another sedan. Other brands make it happen. There is no good reason why Acura can't either. Everything else is just an excuse. Let's hope the upcoming TLX helps them turn the corner.

Old 05-15-20, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

This seems like a nice car but the dash / center stack looks so dated.

Has anyone driven a recent version?
Old 05-15-20, 06:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Source : https://www.autonews.com/cars-concep...020-model-year

I'm surprised its lasted this long. For those who didn't know, this is the descendent of the Acura Legend. Legend -> 3.5 RL -> RL -> RLX
Totally agree. I had a 2000 TL--at the time, the RL had about the same power (maybe even less), was a little bigger on exterior dimensions but not significantly bigger inside, had a handful of minor additional features (fog light being one of them), but cost way more.
​​​​​​
Early 2000's, all 3 were super strong European alternatives. 10-15 years later, all 3 cancelled.
Sorry, but the early 2000s RL was not a "strong European alternative". It wasn't even a strong alternative to the GS and the M. The mid-2000s RL was a mediocre alternative to GS and M.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-15-20 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Thats it for the Acura RLX