Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What does less driving mean for society?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Seeing that you own it and are working towards paying it off, I wouldn’t get rid of it. You will get killed on trade or sale, and down the line you likely will start driving more than you do now.
If it's being driven 58mi a month then insurance, registration etc. seem like a complete waste too.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This thread may soon be irrelevant. Traffic on U.S. roads is starting to increase again every day, although I think it will still be some time before we are back to the former gridlock.
this is based on just your area, right? regardless, there's now MILLIONS of people who will not be going back to an office full time because the work at home now some or all of the time. so i'd say the thread is still relevant. maybe not specifically in what you see when you venture out now and then.
Old 06-26-20, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is based on just your area, right? regardless, there's now MILLIONS of people who will not be going back to an office full time because the work at home now some or all of the time. so i'd say the thread is still relevant. maybe not specifically in what you see when you venture out now and then.

Oh, I agree it's still relevant now, but will probably become less so with time. There's only so much that can be done at home....particularly with the millions of service jobs.

Still, the last couple of months have produced some of the best local driving conditions around here that I have seen in probably half a century......since I was in high school. One can actually get in their vehicle now and go someplace in relative freedom, without excessive traffic or gridlock, although there's no getting around the many stop lights, 3 and 4-way stop signs, DO NOT ENTER signs, and speed bumps.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-20 at 08:16 PM.