Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What does less driving mean for society?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Today is my daughters birthday, so my wife and I took a ride to Reston VA this morning to surprise her, and just came back to NYC. The whole way we drove 80mph with absolute no traffic, gotta admit it was real nice.
Very cool!

Yeah I went to WV last month and made the trip in record time. We’re going again next weekend.
Old 05-16-20, 08:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Too bad I didn't know you were coming. I only live a couple of miles from Reston....and my brother works there.
Today we only went to spend a few hours together because of the pandemic, but usually we go there at least once every 5-6 weeks or so for a weekend. I'll let you know next time we are going, maybe we can have a beer together.
Old 05-16-20, 08:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Very cool!

Yeah I went to WV last month and made the trip in record time. We’re going again next weekend.
My daughter and her husband love it there, both of them grew up here in NYC and after two years in VA they don't want to ever come back at all. That being said, I was under impression that VA started to open up, but that wasn't the case, everything is shut down. Overall though people are a lot less paranoid than New Yorkers, I saw many people without masks in public and just more relaxed overall. In NYC it's pretty tense right now.
Old 05-16-20, 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Northern VA is still shut down, the rest of the state is opening up. Northern VA is slated for the 29th
Old 05-20-20, 09:27 AM
Lnwinston
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meant to reply to a comment, but newbie ....see below.

Last edited by Lnwinston; 05-20-20 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 09:29 AM
Lnwinston
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IMO, owning a car outright takes out the need to worry about such a thing. Owners can do what they want without the payment/usage fiasco. Low mileage.....low usage..no big deal....

I agree. I do that. Just traded my 2010 ES for a 2020 at the end of December 2019. Haven't drived it much, but love that it really doesn't matter as long as I maintain it well. Hoping that this one will last as long.
Old 05-20-20, 09:33 AM
Lnwinston
Driver School Candidate

I have also seen a ton of nice cars out. Classics, supercars, you name it.
Same here in MA
Old 05-20-20, 10:16 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

It means I got a really good deal on my RCF and gas is cheap!
Old 05-20-20, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Northern VA is still shut down, the rest of the state is opening up. Northern VA is slated for the 29th
Hope so. It will be just great to get back into the indoor pools once again at the recreation-centers (my local rec-center is fortunate enough have a beautiful Olympic-size pool). Hopefully, while the centers were shut down, they deep-cleaned/disinfected the locker-rooms and all of the shower-stalls, once and for all, and got rid of all that fungus that causes Athlete's Foot and toenail/jock-infections (Public locker rooms are notorious for that).
Old 05-20-20, 10:46 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,290 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Yes we have 2 cars and both of us are working from home indefinitely. Contemplating selling one of them.

selling at this market will take a bit hit. So the question is whether to take a hit now or just keep paying registration and insurance etc.
You can park one and suspend registration and insurance depending on your state's regulations.
Old 05-20-20, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One long-range trend we may be seeing from less driving (besides the lower gas prices) is lower insurance as well. My brother, for example, is with Allstate, and, even though he's already got one partial-refund from them, they notified him again, yesterday, that another one is also coming. I myself got a 15% refund from GEICO last month.
Old 05-20-20, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hope so. It will be just great to get back into the indoor pools once again at the recreation-centers (my local rec-center is fortunate enough have a beautiful Olympic-size pool). Hopefully, while the centers were shut down, they deep-cleaned/disinfected the locker-rooms and all of the shower-stalls, once and for all, and got rid of all that fungus that causes Athlete's Foot and toenail/jock-infections (Public locker rooms are notorious for that).
I don’t know what that will mean for pools. Montgomery County sent out a notice that pools would not open for Memorial Day, but they didn’t close them for the summer which many other places have done.

We’re huge pool people with the kids, so we want pools open too. We’re going down to WV this weekend, and our plan is to stay on the road if they’re not going to open pools. Go somewhere every other week or so, beach, WV, other places.
Old 05-24-20, 06:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lnwinston
I agree. I do that. Just traded my 2010 ES for a 2020 at the end of December 2019. Haven't drived it much, but love that it really doesn't matter as long as I maintain it well. Hoping that this one will last as long.
Yeah. It gives you lots of freedom and more choices

Hope you really like your new 2020
Old 05-25-20, 10:20 AM
Lnwinston
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah. It gives you lots of freedom and more choices

Hope you really like your new 2020
Thanks, I love it! It took me a while to decide to sell the 2010. That was a really nice, low mileage car, but once I got a look at the 2020's I was finally ready. So happy I did it. Love all the new safety equipment. And it's a beautiful car.
Old 05-27-20, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Except that its dropping in value even more every month than someone's lease payment costs

Not that you should worry about that, it is what it is. But the difference from owning outright to leasing in the "I'm not using it" category is just a mental thing. The cost is the same or more.

Quick Reply: What does less driving mean for society?