Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Project Farm Oil Championship

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 06:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Project Farm Oil Championship

Project Farm is a great channel for unbiased product testing, chief among which are his head to head testing of various oil brands... mobil, liqui-moly, redline, schaeffer, amazon basics, and others were all tested in an NCAA style playoff bracket to find a 'winner'

the oils get tested on their lubricity properties, cold viscosity, and resistance to high temperatures... i encourage the other tests be checked out, but here is the final championship round between amsoil and pennzoil, as well as the completed results of all the other brands
Old 05-18-20, 06:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I like this channel a lot.
Old 05-18-20, 07:24 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

I've been following Project Farm for years...great stuff, thanks for sharing. I usually buy whatever name-brand oil that's on sale, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open for the Pennzoil Platinum product from now on. I use Amsoil in my trans, diff, and transfer case, but it's too expensive for regular oil changes and never goes on sale.
Old 05-18-20, 11:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I've been following Project Farm for years...great stuff, thanks for sharing. I usually buy whatever name-brand oil that's on sale, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open for the Pennzoil Platinum product from now on. I use Amsoil in my trans, diff, and transfer case, but it's too expensive for regular oil changes and never goes on sale.
yea the pennzoil ultra platinum impressed me the most, it's basically as good as amsoil at a fraction of the cost, and it's actually pretty cool how it's made from natural gas instead of crude oil... i think it'll be officially replacing mobil 1 for me from now on

also platinum and ultra platinum are different products so which did you mean lol
Old 05-18-20, 11:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I like this channel a lot.
he's great... i especially love how he put regular synthetic mobil 5w-30 against the mobil jet oil ii, which actually happens to be the factory oil in my supercharger! apparently it smells like dead animal when you change it

Old 05-19-20, 07:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just installed Amsoil Sig Series after watching the video a few months ago, that stuff is (too) pricey!!! Probably going back to PUP next change.
Old 05-19-20, 01:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
Just installed Amsoil Sig Series after watching the video a few months ago, that stuff is (too) pricey!!! Probably going back to PUP next change.
that signature series definitely isn't cheap... did you use an amsoil filter too? is that really necessary?
Old 05-21-20, 07:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that signature series definitely isn't cheap... did you use an amsoil filter too? is that really necessary?
nah, didn't get the filter, went with OEM.
Old 05-21-20, 07:41 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

The oil championship was really entertaining - as are a lot of PF's videos. I wish I had seen this before I did my recent oil change - I put Liqui Moly in the GTI, and apparently it ranked pretty low in these tests. Though, for whatever reason GTI/Golf R guys swear by Liqui Moly so maybe there's more to it than these tests.
Old 05-22-20, 01:44 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
The oil championship was really entertaining - as are a lot of PF's videos. I wish I had seen this before I did my recent oil change - I put Liqui Moly in the GTI, and apparently it ranked pretty low in these tests. Though, for whatever reason GTI/Golf R guys swear by Liqui Moly so maybe there's more to it than these tests.
i think they just see the big made in germany printed all over the bottles of 'leichtlauf' and assume it must be good stuff for their euro car lol

honestly if you're changing the oil when you should i don't see how anyone can swear by what they're using, since any decent synthetic will still be more than good at 5,000 miles

just by going off of liqui-moly's website a big part of their whole brand is how it's 100% made in germany, when there's so much emphasis on that as well as how many different products they make it made me a bit suspicious about the actual quality

after seeing these project farm videos i think i'll be switching to the pennzoil made from natural gas
Old 05-24-20, 05:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i think they just see the big made in germany printed all over the bottles of 'leichtlauf' and assume it must be good stuff for their euro car lol

honestly if you're changing the oil when you should i don't see how anyone can swear by what they're using, since any decent synthetic will still be more than good at 5,000 miles

just by going off of liqui-moly's website a big part of their whole brand is how it's 100% made in germany, when there's so much emphasis on that as well as how many different products they make it made me a bit suspicious about the actual quality

after seeing these project farm videos i think i'll be switching to the pennzoil made from natural gas
Agreed, it's all good either way. As long as oils meet specifications, they should at least be adequate. For what it's worth I don't necessarily plan to switch to a different oil unless I have a reason to. This has definitely made me consider doing an oil analysis at my next oil change just to get a feel for how it's performing. After that I might try running a different oil for a while and see which one did better.
Old 05-24-20, 06:31 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

i've done an oil analysis on both my cars that've been using mobil 1 and both times it came back as a totally fine report

the amsoil signature series definitely isn't worth it for me at like $14 a quart, but the pennzoil is the same price as mobil and i'm impressed by their pure plus technology... i want some of that natural gas action lol