Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Venza and Sienna

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20 | 08:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Specific comments about the Highlander Hybrid's power:

From CNET: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...um-awd-review/

From Motor1: https://www.motor1.com/reviews/39131...-drive-review/

Can't wait to give the new Sienna an evaluation drive. Fuel economy gains are potentially impressive. Just don't want to make it a slug.
honestly, it seems you picked reviews that say that.

Compared to Rav4, Highlander system has 35% more torque to the wheels overall.

Most of the reviews were like this:

Compared to the gas-only Highlander, the Hybrid — available in spring of 2020 — feels quicker off the line and smoother at around-town speeds. The electric power helps give it that immediate, satisfying start. The electronically controlled CVT keeps the revs where they need to be without any artificial steps to mimic a normal automatic (unless you pop the gear selector over to S, but who’s going to do that?). The engine works a little harder as you climb to higher speeds, but it never feels pokey like some hybrids.

Generally speaking, we liked the Hybrid better than the standard Highlander. It just feels more refined with less noise, less vibration and smoother driving. The price premium over the gas-only version across trims is $1,400, which would pay for itself in a few years at current average fuel prices. Unless you need to tow more than 3,500 pounds or simply dislike the hybrid experience for whatever reason — and the Highlander Hybrid gives you very little to gripe about — that up-front cost seems pretty easy to swallow.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/18/...review-hybrid/
Old 05-22-20 | 09:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

What Toyota doesn't tell you is 243hp is not available continuously, once the hybrid battery is depleted (which doesn't take long) you are down to the power of the gas engine only. Most of the time you don't notice but on a long incline you will.

Last edited by LeX2K; 05-22-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-22-20 | 10:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
honestly, it seems you picked reviews that say that.

Compared to Rav4, Highlander system has 35% more torque to the wheels overall.

Most of the reviews were like this:
That's because opinions are like butts, everyone has one. And it's enough to be a concern for a number of reviewers who are trying to estimate use cases beyond just solo drivers. I'm not going to just surround myself with articles that are one direction or another.
Old 05-22-20 | 10:52 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What Toyota doesn't tell you is 243hp is not available continuously, once the hybrid battery is depleted (which doesn't take long) you are down to the power of the gas engine only. Most of the time you don't notice but on a long incline you will.
Yes, that makes sense.

If we start with a 100% fully charged hybrid like a Camry/RAV4 etc, and we full throttle say 0-400 m 1/4 mile, how much battery capacity now remains?
Would you say: 3/4 of the battery, 2/3 of the battery, or 1/2 the battery???

Also, after a hybrid battery pack is fully depleted, roughly how long would it take to be fully charged again?
Say 15 minutes? Or 1/2 an hour? Or 1 hour etc?

Hopefully manufacturers can fit much bigger batteries, and much bigger electric motors into hybrids, but then we have a plug-in like RAV4 Prime which 0-60 in 6 seconds, which isn't too far away from being a full BEV....
Old 05-22-20 | 11:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Also, after a hybrid battery pack is fully depleted, roughly how long would it take to be fully charged again?
Say 15 minutes? Or 1/2 an hour? Or 1 hour etc?
It doesn't take long a minute or two maybe a bit longer if it is completely drained.
Hopefully manufacturers can fit much bigger batteries, and much bigger electric motors into hybrids, but then we have a plug-in like RAV4 Prime which 0-60 in 6 seconds, which isn't too far away from being a full BEV....
Toyota is being inexplicably stubborn they could put in a 5X higher capacity battery without any trouble. But Toyota sales are great I don't think they care.
Old 05-22-20 | 12:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

It doesn't take long a minute or two maybe a bit longer if it is completely drained.

Toyota is being inexplicably stubborn they could put in a 5X higher capacity battery without any trouble. But Toyota sales are great I don't think they care.
Thanks.
I also found out below that the RAV4 Hybrid's battery pack is depleted after about 3 to 4 full throttle blasts.

Quote:
"Our test driver noted that battery power was depleted after three or four full-throttle acceleration runs, but that’s not a likely scenario in regular use.

Wavelike power delivery can make the RAV4 hybrid feel unsettled at times, especially under full-throttle acceleration. The hybrid doesn’t have a driveshaft linking its front and rear axles, so it depends on electronics to balance the power distribution. It doesn’t feel as smooth and seamless as the all-wheel-drive system in the standard model, which does have a driveshaft to the rear axle."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

Old 05-22-20 | 01:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

"Our test driver noted that battery power was depleted after three or four full-throttle acceleration runs, but that’s not a likely scenario in regular use.
Wavelike power delivery can make the RAV4 hybrid feel unsettled at times, especially under full-throttle acceleration. The hybrid doesn’t have a driveshaft linking its front and rear axles, so it depends on electronics to balance the power distribution. It doesn’t feel as smooth and seamless as the all-wheel-drive system in the standard model, which does have a driveshaft to the rear axle."
more reasons to not like a hybrid. why must toyota make so many compromises? how about come out with something that's just GREAT? the only 2 GREAT things i can think of from toyota/lexus in recent times are the LC500 and the Supra (oh wait, that's at least half BMW).
Old 05-22-20 | 01:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

For all this talk from Toyota about shedding their boring image the engineering in their cars sure is boring. Slight improvements on established tech excuse me while I go have a nap.
Old 05-22-20 | 02:06 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Blame the MPG regulation/wars. There was nothing wrong with the V6. In fact, it was perfect for the applications they used it in. Good power, and ran and ran with no problems.
Old 05-22-20 | 02:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Then go electric or hydrogen since Toyota thinks that is the future. Gimping power in a new model is ridiculous.
Old 05-22-20 | 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For all this talk from Toyota about shedding their boring image the engineering in their cars sure is boring. Slight improvements on established tech excuse me while I go have a nap.

As far as I'm concerned, if Toyota really wanted to improve their vehicles, they would actually make them look more like vehicles instead of Halloween masks.

Old 05-22-20 | 03:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as I'm concerned, if Toyota really wanted to improve their vehicles, they would actually make them look more like vehicles instead of Halloween masks.
hear hear.

Old 05-22-20 | 05:24 PM
ABC
Racer
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes please. Including Lexus' huge grills.
Old 05-22-20 | 07:39 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
more reasons to not like a hybrid. why must toyota make so many compromises? how about come out with something that's just GREAT? the only 2 GREAT things i can think of from toyota/lexus in recent times are the LC500 and the Supra (oh wait, that's at least half BMW).
Thanks.
I also found out below that the RAV4 Hybrid's battery pack is depleted after about 3 to 4 full throttle blasts.

Quote:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/
Isn’t that a C&D article for the 2016 RAV4 hybrid ? The new RAV4 hybrid is a stellar success so clearly more and more people seem to like it

Last edited by sorptd; 05-22-20 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-22-20 | 09:14 PM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Having previously owned an RX450h Awd for 8 years, I cannot say that I was ever able to feel the "instant" torque that hybrids were always touted for. Granted, that car was heavy, but it still had 298 horsepower. That car never felt fast to me at any speed. It was decent as a family hauler, but I was never impressed. I think the RXh was around 4500 pounds too, just like the Sienna.
I know quite a few with a Lexus hybrid IS,GS NX, including myself all had their hybrid battery replaced, some twice. In some cases these were accompanied by inverter failures, and when replaced, owners reported their cars were slower than before....Particularly felt in the GS versions.

Quick Reply: 2021 Venza and Sienna