Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Venza and Sienna

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 01:07 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the "unequal look" is being negated somewhat by Mazda's use of plastic cladding on the wheel arches. Good on them, looks a bit more rugged and less prone to chips.
Old 05-20-20, 01:11 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Really liking the new Venza and considering it if a new RX doesn't come soon! Here's one with the Artisan Spirits aero kit!

I think the "unequal look" is being negated somewhat by Mazda's use of plastic cladding on the wheel arches. Good on them, looks a bit more rugged and less prone to chips.
Sorry about the double post, I am figuring this out as I go.
Old 05-20-20, 05:09 PM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are looking for your new Venza in a parking lot, it will be hard to find by silhouette alone if there are a bunch of RX350s in the lot! I personally like the look of the Venza better than the RX. We got rid of our old Venza and bought an Outback rather than move to the ugly RX.
Old 05-20-20, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i honestly can't imagine how slow the giant sienna will be with a hybrid 4.

So who buys minivans to set speed contests?
Old 05-20-20, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

It’s not about speed contests, it’s about having the power to accelerate safely in a huge vehicle full of people and luggage, to drive it in the mountains, etc.

Power isn’t just meant for “speed contests”
Old 05-20-20, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s not about speed contests, it’s about having the power to accelerate safely in a huge vehicle full of people and luggage, to drive it in the mountains, etc.

Power isn’t just meant for “speed contests”

I'm aware of that, but a hybrid is supposed to have a booster electric motor for more torque if needed.
Old 05-20-20, 10:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm aware of that, but a hybrid is supposed to have a booster electric motor for more torque if needed.
Hybrids drone on when going up mountains with a CVT. Not very pleasant during our ski trips with 6 passengers. It's okay, plenty of other choices in the segment.
Old 05-21-20, 03:37 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn’t underestimate the group of buyers who don’t want a hybrid.
I wouldn't assume your numbers are that large, just because you feel that way.
Old 05-21-20, 06:13 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 611 Likes on 369 Posts

learned to drive on a minivan so have a fond place in my heart for the functionality...

I don't see the point of the venza... it's essentially a more expensive Rav4 don't see one thing the Venza can do that a Rav4 hybrid or prime can't..... I do like the Stargaze roof and can see that being on many new lexus and toyota models.

Old 05-21-20, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stoodo
I wouldn't assume your numbers are that large, just because you feel that way.
Is there one vehicle that offers both a hybrid and a gasoline option where the hybrid outsells the gas model? I can’t think of one.

I don’t have an issue with hybrid tech, in fact many many cars are becoming “mike hybrids” with the rollout of 48v electric systems. These vehicles still drive like normal cars though, Toyota hybrids don’t.

Options are good. Having the 3.5 available in the Sienna alongside the hybrid just makes sense, as it does in the Highlander.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
None of the 4cyl hybrids I’ve ever driven (and I’ve driven a lot of them) had the power to make a fully loaded van feel responsive on the highway and certainly in the mountains. The van I have with nearly 300 HP and a V6 is notably lethargic in those situations.
Old 05-21-20, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

None of the 4cyl hybrids I’ve ever driven (and I’ve driven a lot of them) had the power to make a fully loaded van feel responsive on the highway and certainly in the mountains. The van I have with nearly 300 HP and a V6 is notably lethargic in those situations.
I know you drive back and forth to WV a bit. On Sandstone Mountain on I-64, yes, I can see your point...a 7% grade for over 5 miles, in a more or less straight line, at high Interstate speeds, or maybe, the long grades on I-68 into Cumberland, Morgantown, and Cheat Lake....yes, that is going to tax a lot of smaller engines. But many of the roads in WV are not like that, and you'll be going up and down much more curvy and winding grades (U.S. 33, U.S. 50, U.S. 250, etc.....), at low speeds, while downshifting for more power.
Old 05-21-20, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not just those mountain grades, its passing power on the highway, merging power. all of that goes into a feeling of confidence on the road.

Keep in mind on a lot of those smaller mountain roads you have to be able to pass into oncoming traffic too. I just don't see 4-5 people and luggage and all plus a 5,000 lb vehicle feeling confidence inspiring with a 240hp 4cyl hybrid powertrain.

With this being a family vehicle, that scenario is absolutely what its designed for too.
Old 05-21-20, 08:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Its not just those mountain grades, its passing power on the highway, merging power. all of that goes into a feeling of confidence on the road.

Keep in mind on a lot of those smaller mountain roads you have to be able to pass into oncoming traffic too. I just don't see 4-5 people and luggage and all plus a 5,000 lb vehicle feeling confidence inspiring with a 240hp 4cyl hybrid powertrain.

With this being a family vehicle, that scenario is absolutely what its designed for too.
I think if it accelerates fine with the new Highlander, it shouldnt be much of a problem with the Sienna. Sure 0-60 might be in the low 8s range, but thats still within reasonable limits.
Old 05-21-20, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I think if it accelerates fine with the new Highlander, it shouldnt be much of a problem with the Sienna. Sure 0-60 might be in the low 8s range, but thats still within reasonable limits.
I would have the same concerns with the Highlander, its hard to test drive a vehicle loaded down though.

as for low 8 0-60, my Pacifica does it in the low 7s, and like I said it feels notably lethargic when its fully loaded. You just need to have good power to move a vehicle like that around when its loaded up. With people and cargo, you're talking about a mass of 5200 lbs...
Old 05-21-20, 09:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
2020 Highlander Hybrid, empty is about 8 seconds 0 to 60. Sienna is quite a bit larger, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're closer to 9+. And then once you load it up... well...

Quick Reply: 2021 Venza and Sienna