Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Acapulco Thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Volkswagen Acapulco Thing

Thought this was unique. Only made in 1974

The Acapulco Thing was built from May to July 1974 only. All were white with blue accents on the front hood, the rocker panels, the bumpers and the dashboard. The seats were upholstered in a blue-and-white striped fabric, and the same fabric was used for the standard surrey top that was stretched over a metal tube frame. That canvas top, sadly, is missing from this example, with the optional fiberglass hardtop fitted in its place. Removable doors and a fold-down windshield added to the beachy feel. All Things were rear-wheel-drive, although their 8.1 inches of ground clearance provided a modicum of off-pavement capability. Like its siblings, the Acapulco Thing was powered by a rear-mounted air-cooled 1600cc engine paired with a four-speed manual transmission.
Source
Old 05-19-20, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for posting. I remember the original VW Thing quite well, but not this customized version of it.

For those who are not aware of it, the official designation of the Thing is the VW Type 181/182 (depending on the market). Like the original Jeep and Hummer H1, it was originally developed as a military vehicle, for the West German Army.
Old 05-20-20, 08:15 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Thought this was unique. Only made in 1974

Since there are no air tubes connecting the top shroud to the exhaust covers below, there's no heat or defrost on this car. I guess if it's the Acapulco model you don't need it.
Old 05-20-20, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
Since there are no air tubes connecting the top shroud to the exhaust covers below, there's no heat or defrost on this car. I guess if it's the Acapulco model you don't need it.

Even WITH the tubes, the heating/defrosting from that small air-cooled power plant was usually a joke. You had to drive a hundred miles (I'm being facetious) in the winter to get any heat from the system, and then, if the exhaust system was not sealed up 100% perfect, there was always the chance of carbon monoxide fumes being mixed in with it. I knew people who traded off air-cooled VWs for that very reason.
Old 05-20-20, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For those who are not aware of it, the official designation of the Thing is the VW Type 181/182 (depending on the market).
Yup

Volkswagen Type 181 (LHD) Volkswagen Type 182 (RHD)

Sold as:
Volkswagen Thing (United States)
Volkswagen Camat (Indonesia)
Volkswagen Safari (Mexico)
Volkswagen Trekker (UK)
Old 05-22-20, 08:52 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even WITH the tubes, the heating/defrosting from that small air-cooled power plant was usually a joke. You had to drive a hundred miles (I'm being facetious) in the winter to get any heat from the system, and then, if the exhaust system was not sealed up 100% perfect, there was always the chance of carbon monoxide fumes being mixed in with it. I knew people who traded off air-cooled VWs for that very reason.
Yeah, even when it worked it didn't. I once drove my old Karmann Ghia during a deluge. There was running water crossing the road. It wasn't too deep, so drove through. The water hit the exhaust pipes and suddenly there was steam coming out of the defroster vents. It was like driving inside a ping pong ball. I had to roll down the window and stick my head out in the rain to see enough to safely pull over.

Then there was the windshield washer that was driven by air pressure from the spare tire.

I loved my Ghia and my Bus, but I was happy when I could afford a modern car with luxuries like heat and defrost, not to mention AC.