Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why doesn't toyota bring back the FJ Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 07:17 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Why doesn't toyota bring back the FJ Cruiser?

So I understand why they are bringing back the Venza...its another option that really will not cost Toyota much since it is a rebadged Harrier. Interior adjustments for LHD, some marketing and they have a new model to take sales from other manufacturers.

However, I think we have all notice that the Wrangler sales numbers have been huge, almost doubling the 4Runner in some years which is quite a bit more expensive than the Wrangler.

Although I believe the Venza will bring in more profits for Toyota in the short term, I think long term a new FJ Cruiser would bring in alot more profits. Haven't heard any rumors at all of a new one in the works. A stripped down 4Runner 5 seater I think will do great. Especially seeing how high the demand for used FJ Cruisers are.
Old 05-19-20, 08:13 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pushed hard for a 4 door FJ to overtake the 4Runner back in the day. 4Runner was set to be discontinued, but the continued shift towards SUVs fueled by low gas prices has kept it alive with strong sales.

Could absolutely see room for a new FJ to go against new Bronco, Wrangler Unlimited, etc. More character in the design than 4Runner does.
Old 05-19-20, 09:02 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbm317
Pushed hard for a 4 door FJ to overtake the 4Runner back in the day. 4Runner was set to be discontinued, but the continued shift towards SUVs fueled by low gas prices has kept it alive with strong sales.

Could absolutely see room for a new FJ to go against new Bronco, Wrangler Unlimited, etc. More character in the design than 4Runner does.

Agreed. I think the demand of the current FJ on the used market is a good indicator. A FJ40 redesign would be nice.
Old 05-19-20, 09:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to venture a guess that Toyota does not agree that there is enough profit in that exercise to justify it.
Old 05-19-20, 10:52 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Look at the sales figured for the FJ Cruiser. Its highest annual sales figure was the first year it was available, at 56,000. It went all downhill from there. The Wrangler and the 4Runner absolutely wiped the floor with it on the market.

Old 05-19-20, 12:14 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Look at the sales figured for the FJ Cruiser. Its highest annual sales figure was the first year it was available, at 56,000. It went all downhill from there. The Wrangler and the 4Runner absolutely wiped the floor with it on the market.
Can't just look at that and say it was a failure. Shift to 4 door Wrangler was already on at that point, 4 door wrangler absolutely dominates the 2 door at this point. So a 4 door FJ could have done well. Economy was also headed down with high gas prices, initial shift away from SUV's for a while left the FJ out to dry. That plus no major changes to the product aside from finally adding a backup camera. Toyota could have kept FJ alive with minimal costs, as they have with 4Runner, Sequoia, etc., but it was thrown out with the bath water. 4Runner has done well for itself, despite the age and lack of any sort of major investment. Huge profits there.

Old 05-19-20, 12:50 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

But the current 4runner is probably just as good as the FJ cruiser. I love the FJ styling but found it very basic. I guess thats what some people like about it. I owned a 4runner for couple of years and there is a huge following for it I can why it sells so well.

Can't just look at that and say it was a failure. Shift to 4 door Wrangler was already on at that point, 4 door wrangler absolutely dominates the 2 door at this point. So a 4 door FJ could have done well. Economy was also headed down with high gas prices, initial shift away from SUV's for a while left the FJ out to dry. That plus no major changes to the product aside from finally adding a backup camera. Toyota could have kept FJ alive with minimal costs, as they have with 4Runner, Sequoia, etc., but it was thrown out with the bath water. 4Runner has done well for itself, despite the age and lack of any sort of major investment. Huge profits there.
Old 05-19-20, 12:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The FJ was also bagged on for having absolutely terrible blind spots and less interior space than the 4Runner and terrible fuel economy(and it required 91 octane). Why bother stretching it into a 4 door when the 4Runner was already in existence and highly sought after? At best it would have just cannibalized 4Runner sales, but most likely would have kept floundering.

4Runner competed with the Jeep for the off-road status

FJ Cruiser competed with the Jeep for the cute SUV status.

Old 05-19-20, 01:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure that if Toyota thought there was market share for them to be profitable, they could have retooled to a 4-door version. That's what they did with the 4-Runner.
Old 05-19-20, 01:49 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

The FJ had horrible blind spots, it was the equivalent of driving a football helmet. If there was a better case for a car that needed blind spot monitors, back up camera, and 360 surround view, that was it.

Yes a 4Runner has more general type appeal than an FJ, but the Wrangler outsells the 4Runner almost 2 to 1, so there's definitely a market for the brash outdoorsy look that something like the FJ had.

Having a 4 door FJ and keeping it alongside 4Runner wouldn't have made sense. I just think it would show more personality from Toyota and still have done as well, if not potentially better than 4Runner has done.
Old 05-19-20, 02:10 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm sure that if Toyota thought there was market share for them to be profitable, they could have retooled to a 4-door version. That's what they did with the 4-Runner.
its anecdotal but speaking to many jeep owners who are not specifically jeep fans but love the wrangler because of the rugged looks. Most women jeep owners I have come across bought it because of its looks. IMO majority of the 200k+ consumers of jeep wranglers each year buy it because of the design.

IMO if toyota releases a new fj cruiser, with a modern design of the fj40 and having that open roof design like the wranglers, for a similar base price they would do pretty well. There is clearly a market with the wrangler being such a sales success while being owned by one of the worst car companies.
Old 05-19-20, 02:18 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

The FJ had horrible blind spots, it was the equivalent of driving a football helmet. If there was a better case for a car that needed blind spot monitors, back up camera, and 360 surround view, that was it.

Yes a 4Runner has more general type appeal than an FJ, but the Wrangler outsells the 4Runner almost 2 to 1, so there's definitely a market for the brash outdoorsy look that something like the FJ had.

Having a 4 door FJ and keeping it alongside 4Runner wouldn't have made sense. I just think it would show more personality from Toyota and still have done as well, if not potentially better than 4Runner has done.
Agreed, an updated design that fixed the blind spot issues but has a rugged look would be nice. In regards to making sense, Toyota just released the venza that is basically identical to the rav4 in interior space. Only difference i can tell is it has a nicer interior based on materials used.

The 4 runner base model with 4x4 starts at 38k. A FJ cruiser with 4x4 for 31k, rugged design like the wrangler vs quirky like the first FJ Cruiser, will steal more sales from the wrangler than the 4 runner imo. Make it a bit shorter and narrow than the 4 runner.
Old 05-19-20, 03:11 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if Toyota regrets to stop selling them, they could be printing more money right now. Any current owner is blessed if they ever decide to sell theirs.
Old 05-19-20, 04:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I only rode in a '07 a couple times but the blind spots were very noticeable even as a passenger. Today with lots of cameras it probably would have been less an issue. It was also a very noisy rig on highway but could have been due to the aftermarket tires ....but suspect there wasn't a lot of sound dampening/insulation stock on the frame. No doubt it was very capable off-road though.
Old 05-19-20, 08:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

in my experience, the FJ was much nicer to look at on the road than actually using one and trying to see out of it

Quick Reply: Why doesn't toyota bring back the FJ Cruiser?