Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tundra 3UR-FE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 09:21 AM
sensai
Advanced

Received 662 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
May I get some feedback on the 5.7?

I don't need a term paper but I'd love to hear it from some of you guys. Short and sweet is fine. My next vehicle will have this motor.

It's an old V8 and not class leading power wise, and dated, but I never hear anyone complaining about this V8 other than mileage (which I don't care about). I read a recent MT or C&D test where they tested a 6100lb spec'd out Tundra...0-60 in 6.4 seconds.

I also read a C&D article on a 2015 6200lb LX570....0-60 in 6.5. That is certainly nothing to scoff at.

I take it its a plenty oomphy motor? Does not need to rev out too much to get going smoothly? Fun to rag out?
an awesome source for tons of information is tundras.com. bunch of 3UR-FE nuts there, myself included. mine isn't my daily so after 12 yrs of ownership i only have 85k miles. if i can get another 15-20yrs and 100k miles with this one i'll be happy. my truck for life, i don't want another even if it has better interior, more power, etc. this girl been with me since the kids were babies so sentimental at this point. plenty of adventures and memories. in 12yrs got a flat once and was stranded but that's on me because i didn't have a full sized spare.

engine itself has been absolutely solid for me but i supercharged my 08 after two yrs of ownership so most of my experience has been boosted. sc brought me to 505hp and 550lbs torque, 7lbs boost. i've walked numerous big 3 half tons who thought i was stock, a mustang and an old school gto even with 33" tires. lol. the fact that toyota supported a trd supercharger for so many years under their factory warranty if installed by ASE tech was a testament to their confidence in their build and things around it like tranny. overall though, solid platform. not class leading power wise as you mentioned but there are a lot of tundras easily pushing 200-300k+ miles so we all go for the reliability and quality build that will last over the others, like big 3 where converts to tundras say there dodge, ram, ford was good for 20-30k miles then falls apart. mileage may vary of course and some get a lot of miles but a lot don't.

somethings around the engine on the tundra specifically to note:
- people who tow say the tranny searches for gears, constantly shifting so they usually run it in standard (manual shift) and leave it in 5 or 6 at freeway speeds
- also on the tow front, the newer 19-20 yr models no longer do an external tranny cooler and it's supposed to be 'built-in' but people are complaining about high temps on their tranny.
- the 5.7 has a tendency to have a cam tower leak, most people just have seep and to fix it it's super expensive if not under warranty so a lot of people just wipe of the seep and monitor
- when the starter goes out it's a b1tch to change

other than that...gas and go and try not to watch your mpg's. it is a guzzler. people usually upgrade their tanks. there's a 26, 38 and 46 (i think) gallon tank.

good luck.

Last edited by sensai; 09-04-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 04:38 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DAKONA
I believe it's because Tundras have a 6 speed as opposed to a 10 speed transmission. The 4.10 gearing works pretty damn well with that set up. Toyota as a whole doesn't make big changes to each models. Case in point, The Tundra has the same engine, transmission since 2007. If anything that's why they are so damn reliable.

No disrespect, but in a 1/2 ton truck platform, I would not own anything else but a Toyota. Now a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up truck is a whole different story.

DAKONA
I mean, my 5.0 w/ 6 Speed and 3.55 gears moves a trailer at capacity pretty darn well so I don't know that 4.10 or 4.30 gears would be needed. So far the 5.0/6R80 combo has been pretty stout, with a few teething issues back in 2011-2012ish when the engine was all new.

Now a 5.3 GM is a total pig, especially with their ridiculously high gearing.

Old 09-05-20, 09:24 AM
cp44
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's mine, finally got it two months ago. I don't have recent pics of it but I did add Go Rhino running boards, line-x bed liner and few interior items to the truck.

To answer AJT123's question, this drives like an old school car, you press the pedal and it just flies. What I noticed about new cars today, like my 19' Avalon, its pretty laggy and tuned way too conservative. You really have to smash the pedal for the damn thing to go but its not apparent in the Tundra. If you really want to have fun, press the Tow/haul button and turn off traction control and hold on lol.

Old 09-05-20, 10:00 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cp44
Here's mine, finally got it two months ago. I don't have recent pics of it but I did add Go Rhino running boards, line-x bed liner and few interior items to the truck.
Awesome color. Not sure if I've ever seen a Tundra in that color.

Old 09-05-20, 12:33 PM
cp44
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Awesome color. Not sure if I've ever seen a Tundra in that color.
Thank you, every year TRD PROs comes in a special color. The one I have is a 2020 in Army Green.
Old 09-05-20, 12:45 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

A friend of mine at work just got a Tundra. It's a very cool shade of brown that changes depending on sunlight. Brown leather interior too. Beautiful truck but I've always liked Tundras.

2020 Tundra daily and a Cayman GT4 for the weekends and I'm good to go lol.
Old 09-08-20, 01:41 PM
sensai
Advanced

Originally Posted by LH1
A friend of mine at work just got a Tundra. It's a very cool shade of brown that changes depending on sunlight. Brown leather interior too. Beautiful truck but I've always liked Tundras.

2020 Tundra daily and a Cayman GT4 for the weekends and I'm good to go lol.
sounds like sunset bronze mica (exterior color).
Old 09-09-20, 09:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cp44
Thank you, every year TRD PROs comes in a special color. The one I have is a 2020 in Army Green.
A buddy of mine has a candy apple red Tundra with black wheels and trim, I'm pretty sure it's a TRD PRO. It has the old school "Toyota" badges all over it.

Definitely a sick truck.

Thanks to everyone else for their information on this V8. Can't wait!
Old 09-10-20, 11:18 AM
sensai
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJT123
A buddy of mine has a candy apple red Tundra with black wheels and trim, I'm pretty sure it's a TRD PRO. It has the old school "Toyota" badges all over it.

Definitely a sick truck.

Thanks to everyone else for their information on this V8. Can't wait!
cool, good luck! your friends tundra sounds sweet. the closest they've had to candy apple imo is salsa red pearl which is what this ole girl is. started with gen1 and into early gen2 tundras and toyota end of lifed the color in 2010. they switched to what they call barcelona red which they still offer today. personally i prefer salsa red.

pic of mine which i thnk looks like candy apple under the sun

barcelona red (not mine)

Last edited by sensai; 09-10-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 02:02 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm really digging the Tundra, especially the supercharged ones!

I think this may be a perfect fit for me as I need a vehicle to go into the desert with. Obviously can't go wrong with a Toyota product.
Old 09-10-20, 02:03 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It will be a very sad day when they sunset all the V8s.
Old 09-11-20, 10:14 AM
sensai
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lend0
I'm really digging the Tundra, especially the supercharged ones!

I think this may be a perfect fit for me as I need a vehicle to go into the desert with. Obviously can't go wrong with a Toyota product.
do it! check out www.tundras.com for tons of info to help with research.
Old 09-11-20, 10:15 AM
sensai
Advanced

Originally Posted by situman
agree man, planning to just take care of what i have until i croak. lol.
Old 09-11-20, 11:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yes it will, it already is sad. Exactly one of the reasons I want a 200 series LX. I could not care less about how bad the gas mileage is.

So when I finally pick one up (soon I hope), I'll have the Toyota 5.7, UZ 4.3, and Chevy LS1 5.3. All are beyond excellent V8 engines.

Not getting rid of any of them until they throw rods.