Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to only sell EVs online (Europe only to start)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 02:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Totally agree dealers (and retailers) have done it to themselves. That level of conditioning (gotta get a deal, dealer is trying to get one over on me, etc) is a hard mental hurdle to get over.

I haven't haggled on my last 4 car purchases With the GS and the Odyssey, I did my research (thanks CL and Odyclub!) and e-mailed the dealers with the OTD price I was comfortable with and a requirement that when I come to sign the papers, I'm out in 1 hour. Tesla gets a bit more leeway because direct sales and pay what we say has always been the case.
Tesla gets leeway because they have no competition.
Old 05-26-20, 02:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
But people feel like they have to haggle to get a good price. Take away the haggling and people start wondering about the value that they get. Heck look at JCPenney. They brought in a new guy that said we're going to do away with the coupons on top of coupons and give you everyday low prices (a la Walmart). That strategy failed miserably because even if people were paying less, they didn't feel like they were getting a good deal because they were conditioned to use those coupons.
without knowing exactly what JCPenny did, I am pretty sure the strategy was around making their average sale price higher.

When manufacturers implement fixed pricing, whole purpose of it is to make more money because manufacturer will never compete with itself, like dealers would.
To do that properly, you also have to have very unique product or else other manufacturers will beat you with better pricing.
Old 05-26-20, 07:03 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure these fixed price models ever truly work. I imagine the dealer gets the opportunity to make more out of the deal by low balling your trade in.
Old 05-26-20, 01:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I'm not sure these fixed price models ever truly work. I imagine the dealer gets the opportunity to make more out of the deal by low balling your trade in.
exactly right. fix one variable, another stays variable. to dealers it's all just a slight of hand trick.

Old 05-26-20, 01:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've purchased two fixed price cars - my 2001 Saturn then my 2006 Scion tC.

All it really did was push all of the negotiations over to the topic of my trade-ins. I made out very well with those trades in both deals, but probably no different than a standard type dealership where I would have gotten less on the trade, but been able to negotiate on the new vehicle. I felt like it was basically a wash.
Old 05-26-20, 02:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I did much better when i told the dealership that i'm not trading in and just hammer them on their price. Usually I get invoice or lower. At the end, i say that if i were to trade in, what would i get and usually they give me a quote but the trick is to get a CarMax quote beforehand and if the dealer can beat that, i may trade in.

I wonder how easy this VW thing will be...for the Tesla, the entire buying process took 20 min. 5 min on website and 15 min when i went to pick up the vehicle and sign (already had financing in hand). Its like buying an iPhone
Old 05-26-20, 02:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I did much better when i told the dealership that i'm not trading in and just hammer them on their price. Usually I get invoice or lower. At the end, i say that if i were to trade in, what would i get and usually they give me a quote but the trick is to get a CarMax quote beforehand and if the dealer can beat that, i may trade in.

I wonder how easy this VW thing will be...for the Tesla, the entire buying process took 20 min. 5 min on website and 15 min when i went to pick up the vehicle and sign (already had financing in hand). Its like buying an iPhone
I bought the Tacoma completely online and it was an amazing experience. It was all done virtually, then they dropped it off in my driveway a couple hours later and I signed out there, on an iPad. That would be tough if I were wanting to go out and test drive various vehicles, but in the future I hope to purchase in this way for any vehicle that I don't need to drive first.