Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car shopping completed, Corona Virus style...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thank you for your words. And yes, I meant twelve years, corrected.

So far, I am most impressed with the ride/suspension. My 2008 had F-Sport springs, which were added as an accessory by the dealer. That ride was a bit stiff, but I was fine with it. The new F-Sport has the same stance, but is much smoother, with some actual rebound (up and down motion) after a bump or dip. Very comfortable. I haven't yet taken it around a corner quickly, so curious to see if the softer ride erases some of the cornering ability. Not that I'd need it. I REALLY appreciate the softer suspension while cruising. In the old IS, I'd avoid certain pot-holed lanes just to keep the car from taking a beating. Don't feel like I have to here.

Back to the stock Dunlops, which we have all agreed are not that great. They are noisier and tramline more than the Michelins I had on the 250. Will definitely change them once they wear out.

I do detect a small amount of wind noise coming from the side mirror on the freeway. Did not have any of that with the 250.

The seats are much more supportive and confining vs. the last IS. I'm going to have to adjust to them hugging me more. Overall, probably a good thing, with more support.

Gas mileage thus far has been about the same as the 250. That is quite an accomplishment considering it's almost double the power.

And from the unimportant category, the engine warms up in about a minute, whereas the 250 took several or even more. Big improvement there.

More rear seat space here. Trunk seems to be about the same. Very happy about the folding rear seats. That was one of the biggest drawbacks of owning the older 250.

Throttle tip in is not as aggressive on the new one. Will get used to it.

About my biggest complaint is the dim gauges during the daytime. I have it on full brightness, but they are not that visible, other than the digital speedo. I'd be curious to hear of others feel the same way with the F-Sport gauges.
you must be getting old, you commented a lot on the cushy ride, but not the HUGE increase in power.

Is there more rear seat space because they redesigned the back of the front seats maybe?
Old 05-25-20, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you must be getting old, you commented a lot on the cushy ride, but not the HUGE increase in power.

One does not have to be old to appreciate automotive comfort.
Old 05-25-20, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Glad to hear that you were able to walk away from the collision. Sounds like the 2008 did its job in keeping you safe!

Congrats on the new car! I know you consider it unimportant, but the quick engine warm up is nice to hear about. From what I recall, that was one of the contributing factors to the carbon build-up issues the 2nd gen IS250 was reported to have. Glad to see they got that part of the problem sorted out.
It's interesting you bring that up. The 2IS took about five minutes to warm up in the mornings. I have never seen another car take so long. The new model is a walk in the park, compared.

As far as safety, the former IS did a fantastic job protecting me. A big part of why I went for another one.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-25-20 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Is there more rear seat space because they redesigned the back of the front seats maybe?
I invented 'young,' but my commute is a killer, and you know how CA roads are. With the 2IS, I knew which lanes to avoid, and accumulated around 200 reports to Caltrans for potholes. They worked for me.

As far as the power, I chose the V6 for the refinement and engine note. The 300t sounded down-market and I didn't want to give that up from the 2IS.

That's quite possible with the rear seats. I'll have to inspect...
Old 05-26-20, 07:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

The 3IS has more rear seat room than the 2IS mostly because they stretched the wheelbase.
Old 05-26-20, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The 3IS has more rear seat room than the 2IS mostly because they stretched the wheelbase.
ah, didn't catch he'd switched GENERATION of IS!

Old 05-26-20, 11:55 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

What do you guys think of her purchase during lock down?

Old 05-27-20, 09:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Congrats on the new car! Glad you cam through the accident okay!
Old 05-28-20, 07:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
What do you guys think of her purchase during lock down?
omg, i watched that video and threw up a bit.

not at the car, gorgeous, but the, uh, presenter. self-indulgent much? flashing her giant ring in the camera and fancy watch? "don't worry, i'm getting a supercar as well" - we were worried? and "what wrap should i put on this rolls royce?" seriously? ugh, ugh, UGH.

money can't buy taste, or class.

but hey, she's got millions of subscribers and gets millions of views, so no doubt makes a load of money off youtube.
Old 05-28-20, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"don't worry, i'm getting a supercar as well" - we were worried?
I was hardly able to sleep I was so worried lol
Old 05-28-20, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

omg, i watched that video and threw up a bit.

not at the car, gorgeous, but the, uh, presenter. self-indulgent much? flashing her giant ring in the camera and fancy watch? "don't worry, i'm getting a supercar as well" - we were worried? and "what wrap should i put on this rolls royce?" seriously? ugh, ugh, UGH.
Well, you're always telling us, here on the forum, to be tolerant with others and their views. Maybe that's just her style or personality in front the cameras. And no one is forced to watch her videos.

money can't buy taste, or class.
It can't? Looks to me like it just did. Personally, I question the wisdom of spending that much on a new car, but, that's her business.....if she can afford it, more power to her. Hey...the workers at the RR plant have to make a living, too.........and they don't get paid if the company doesn't have any customers.

I'd agree with you on one thing, though...........that black Flying Lady hood-ornament looks out of place on a Rolls, even with that black-hood package.

but hey, she's got millions of subscribers and gets millions of views, so no doubt makes a load of money off youtube.
Well, so does Scottie, Alex, and a number of other people who make YouTube videos, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they drive new RRs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-20 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Someone who makes a YouTube video or has a YouTube channel is a public persona. Doing so opens them up to criticism. She's actually not bad as that type of car YouTuber goes.

It can't? Looks to me like it just did.
Owning expensive things doesn't make you classy. It may make you look classy outwardly to others but true class comes from your actions and how you handle yourself and others. You know that.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-28-20 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 08:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

​​​Owning expensive things doesn't make you classy. It may make you look classy outwardly to others but true class comes from your actions and how you handle yourself and others. You know that.
Agreed....but it is stlll a classy vehicle.
Old 05-28-20, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure, but that doesn't mean that its owner is a classy person.
Old 05-30-20, 09:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed....but it is stlll a classy vehicle.
definitely, but i don't think she has class and anyone who wants to put a wrap on a rolls royce doesn't have good taste imo either.

oh and she makes WAY more money on youtube than alex, etc. pretty obvious why.

Quick Reply: Car shopping completed, Corona Virus style...