Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car shopping completed, Corona Virus style...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 01:23 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Car shopping completed, Corona Virus style...

The last thing I would have found myself doing during these different times was car shopping. But the big guy above had other plans, and someone ran a red last week and creamed me. I am happy to be alive. Still working on recovery, but the IS250 was totaled.

One week later, I settled on leasing a new IS350 F-Sport. It was as close as I could come to replicating the IS250. Tested out a new A4, the IS300t, and looked at an Accord. Nothing really wowed me there and I couldn't get passed the tinny sounds of the four cylinder. The A4 was the most refined, but the front wheel drive was a turn-off when accelerating out of a corner. I know there is Quattro, but don't care for the exclusive front end on the facelift. And leases on Audi's are still not that great, even during these unique times.

Anyway, after some inventory searching and a dealer trade, I took advantage of Lexus's regional lease program, along with further discounting. It's a lot of car for the money and I know it will last well beyond the lease. It was weird test driving cars with a mask on, and working a deal behind a plastic partition. But everyone did their part and it was mostly smooth. About the only issue was lack of inventory, with dealers only recently re-opening and not receiving new shipments for quite some time.

So after twelve very happy and trouble-free years in my 2008, I'm starting over. I guess it's time to change my signature below.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-25-20 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Hey, Congratulations, friend, not only on your new IS, but they you are still around, and can still be a part of us. Prayers for your complete recovery if you are injured....hope it's not too serious. (apparently it wasn't serious enough to keep you from a good test-drive) . A vehicle, though, can be replaced.....even if it is not the exact same one you had before. A life can't.

Years ago, the IS had a similar color to that called "Thundercloud Metallic"...apparantly it was about the same color as a typical dark storm cloud.
Old 05-24-20, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Very sorry to hear about the accident, but congrats on the new ride. Would love to hear your review of the changes from your old IS to the new one!

also, you wrote:

So after twelve very happy and trouble-free miles in my 2008, I'm starting over.
maybe you meant twelve years or twelve thousand trouble-free miles...
Old 05-24-20, 08:49 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Love the 2-tone interior!
Old 05-24-20, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thought I didn't mention it above, I thought the same thing. I'm pretty sure he means twelve years.
Old 05-24-20, 03:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

glad you're injuries were not life-threatening!!!

Nice IS350 too!!!!
Old 05-24-20, 09:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Great choice! Enjoy it!
Old 05-24-20, 10:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Already said it over in the 3IS forums, but again, nice pickup! You did get the RWD model, right?
Old 05-25-20, 12:20 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Unfortunately this is the new norm. Car looks very nice, love the interior color. Congratulations.
Old 05-25-20, 01:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hey, Congratulations, friend, not only on your new IS, but they you are still around, and can still be a part of us. Prayers for your complete recovery if you are injured....hope it's not too serious. (apparently it wasn't serious enough to keep you from a good test-drive) . A vehicle, though, can be replaced.....even if it is not the exact same one you had before. A life can't.

Years ago, the IS had a similar color to that called "Thundercloud Metallic"...apparantly it was about the same color as a typical dark storm cloud.
Thank you Mike. It's been a trying year to say the least. But I have a lot to be thankful for. I agree, vehicles can be replaced, bodies cannot.

I recall Thundercloud, it was a sharp color for it's time. The Caviar here is a bit darker, but brightens up in direct light. It's like a dark Smokey Granite.

Old 05-25-20, 01:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Very sorry to hear about the accident, but congrats on the new ride. Would love to hear your review of the changes from your old IS to the new one!

also, you wrote:

Thank you for your words. And yes, I meant twelve years, corrected.

So far, I am most impressed with the ride/suspension. My 2008 had F-Sport springs, which were added as an accessory by the dealer. That ride was a bit stiff, but I was fine with it. The new F-Sport has the same stance, but is much smoother, with some actual rebound (up and down motion) after a bump or dip. Very comfortable. I haven't yet taken it around a corner quickly, so curious to see if the softer ride erases some of the cornering ability. Not that I'd need it. I REALLY appreciate the softer suspension while cruising. In the old IS, I'd avoid certain pot-holed lanes just to keep the car from taking a beating. Don't feel like I have to here.

Back to the stock Dunlops, which we have all agreed are not that great. They are noisier and tramline more than the Michelins I had on the 250. Will definitely change them once they wear out.

I do detect a small amount of wind noise coming from the side mirror on the freeway. Did not have any of that with the 250.

The seats are much more supportive and confining vs. the last IS. I'm going to have to adjust to them hugging me more. Overall, probably a good thing, with more support.

Gas mileage thus far has been about the same as the 250. That is quite an accomplishment considering it's almost double the power.

And from the unimportant category, the engine warms up in about a minute, whereas the 250 took several or even more. Big improvement there.

More rear seat space here. Trunk seems to be about the same. Very happy about the folding rear seats. That was one of the biggest drawbacks of owning the older 250.

Throttle tip in is not as aggressive on the new one. Will get used to it.

About my biggest complaint is the dim gauges during the daytime. I have it on full brightness, but they are not that visible, other than the digital speedo. I'd be curious to hear of others feel the same way with the F-Sport gauges.

Old 05-25-20, 01:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Already said it over in the 3IS forums, but again, nice pickup! You did get the RWD model, right?
Affirmative, RWD. Thanks again for the help in the 3IS forum!
Old 05-25-20, 06:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
About my biggest complaint is the dim gauges during the daytime. I have it on full brightness, but they are not that visible, other than the digital speedo. I'd be curious to hear of others feel the same way with the F-Sport gauges.
my 430i has standard gauges but are not lit at all during the daytime...very dark especially with tinted windows....(I just don't like that car).
Old 05-25-20, 07:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Congratulations on the 3is, love the color combo
Old 05-25-20, 07:23 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to hear that you were able to walk away from the collision. Sounds like the 2008 did its job in keeping you safe!

Congrats on the new car! I know you consider it unimportant, but the quick engine warm up is nice to hear about. From what I recall, that was one of the contributing factors to the carbon build-up issues the 2nd gen IS250 was reported to have. Glad to see they got that part of the problem sorted out.

Quick Reply: Car shopping completed, Corona Virus style...