Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Headlight Restoration Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 07:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Best Headlight Restoration Kit?

This guy has an excellent channel

Old 05-25-20, 09:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Great channel. Mostly the results did not surprise me but the winner did.
Old 05-26-20, 01:21 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't like to sand headlights. If you can avoid it, don't sand.

I've been maintaining the headlights on my 07 gs, parked outside 24/7, with just meguiars ultimate polish on a orbital polisher.
then coating with basic Nufinish sealant in the orange bottle.
it lasts a few months before there's noticeable yellow again, and isn't laborious at all.

the megs ultimate polish on microfiber towel just wipes off the yellow oxidation.

I've been waxing the headlights since the car was new, but eventually it still yellows.
Old 05-26-20, 10:18 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put clear bra on my 2007 328i when it was new, I've never had to do any maintenance to it.
Old 05-26-20, 12:05 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Love his channel, but i wish he would have tested acetone. This is what i use and it takes no more than 5 minutes with a rag to do. Lasts 6-12 months.
Old 05-27-20, 09:14 AM
pman6
Racer

acetone doesn't damage the plastic?

interesting. I have a gallon of acetone I don't know what to do with.

wait, Google actually shows acetone weakens polycarbonate

Last edited by pman6; 05-27-20 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 01:04 PM
ABC
Racer

Yes, it definitely can. But you're not pouring it on or leaving it on there longer than a minute. It's a few quick wipes and you're done.

This is the process i use - works great with minimal effort and practically no cost.
Old 05-27-20, 03:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ABC
Yes, it definitely can. But you're not pouring it on or leaving it on there longer than a minute. It's a few quick wipes and you're done.

This is the process i use - works great with minimal effort and practically no cost. https://youtu.be/z2ZRKPshPVM?t=36

still have to sand it and seal it.
Old 05-27-20, 03:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
i don't like to sand headlights. If you can avoid it, don't sand.

I've been maintaining the headlights on my 07 gs, parked outside 24/7, with just meguiars ultimate polish on a orbital polisher.
then coating with basic Nufinish sealant in the orange bottle.
it lasts a few months before there's noticeable yellow again, and isn't laborious at all.

the megs ultimate polish on microfiber towel just wipes off the yellow oxidation.

I've been waxing the headlights since the car was new, but eventually it still yellows.
Sand them to about 600-800 grit and spray them with a 2K clear and you shouldn't have to mess with them for years.
Old 05-28-20, 12:03 AM
pman6
Racer

Originally Posted by ABC

This is the process i use - works great with minimal effort and practically no cost. https://youtu.be/z2ZRKPshPVM?t=36

gonna try this on my 2003 beater
Old 05-28-20, 10:46 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Sand them to about 600-800 grit and spray them with a 2K clear and you shouldn't have to mess with them for years.
I keep reading that this is the best solution, sealing with 2K clear, but I don't seem to come across folks in CL that actually do it with a very good write up?
Old 05-28-20, 11:01 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX469
I keep reading that this is the best solution, sealing with 2K clear, but I don't seem to come across folks in CL that actually do it with a very good write up?
I did it on my GS430, I was sanding and polishing them and even adding sealants or ceramic sealers and they were still yellowing after just a couple months.

I decided the next time I was going to do some touchup spraying I was going to use the rest of the Spraymax 2K clear to spray the headlights. I read you should spray a clear adhesion promoter coating first so I ordered that, sanded the headlights to about 800 grit ,thoroughly cleaned them and sprayed the adhesion promoter which turned out to be a disaster, it crackled on the headlights, did not adhere properly, totally useless, I had to then go back and wet sand them again to get that junk off. Once I was mostly confident I got the spray off and I stopped at about 800grit, some recommend 600 but I did 800, I cleaned them with soapy water and then alcohol before spraying the 2 K clear. The lights will look opaque from the sanding scratches when dry. Of course you have to tape off around the lights and put blankets/sheets on the rest of the car to protect the finish from overspray. I kept the hood up and just put a sheet across the engine and everything and had sheets hanging down the side of the raised roof so it was like a mini paint booth to capture most of the overspray. I went pretty slow and put about 3 decent wet coats on the headlights, they immediately clear up once you spray them with clear and it fills the sanding scratches. They looked great, they had a very slight bluish tinge I am not sure why but still looked really good, there were a few minor drips from spraying a little too thick but I decided to let it cure for a few months until I decided if I wanted to sand/polish them out. They never dulled after a few months but unfortunately my GS was totaled before I could see what they looked like after a few years.

With some headlight shapes/designs and depending how long they are in the sun, you can go a while after sanding/polishing and putting on a sealant before they yellow again but then others like the GS430 just go back to milky/yellow pretty quickly if they are exposed to any kind of UV for a decent amount of time no matter what wax or sealant you put on them.
Old 05-28-20, 01:09 PM
ABC
Racer

Originally Posted by bagwell
still have to sand it and seal it.
This would probably make them look even better, but on my IS, quick acetone wipes do the trick and last long enough for me not to want to put any more effort into them.
Old 05-28-20, 01:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
I did it on my GS430, I was sanding and polishing them and even adding sealants or ceramic sealers and they were still yellowing after just a couple months.

I decided the next time I was going to do some touchup spraying I was going to use the rest of the Spraymax 2K clear to spray the headlights. I read you should spray a clear adhesion promoter coating first so I ordered that, sanded the headlights to about 800 grit ,thoroughly cleaned them and sprayed the adhesion promoter which turned out to be a disaster, it crackled on the headlights, did not adhere properly, totally useless, I had to then go back and wet sand them again to get that junk off. Once I was mostly confident I got the spray off and I stopped at about 800grit, some recommend 600 but I did 800, I cleaned them with soapy water and then alcohol before spraying the 2 K clear. The lights will look opaque from the sanding scratches when dry. Of course you have to tape off around the lights and put blankets/sheets on the rest of the car to protect the finish from overspray. I kept the hood up and just put a sheet across the engine and everything and had sheets hanging down the side of the raised roof so it was like a mini paint booth to capture most of the overspray. I went pretty slow and put about 3 decent wet coats on the headlights, they immediately clear up once you spray them with clear and it fills the sanding scratches. They looked great, they had a very slight bluish tinge I am not sure why but still looked really good, there were a few minor drips from spraying a little too thick but I decided to let it cure for a few months until I decided if I wanted to sand/polish them out. They never dulled after a few months but unfortunately my GS was totaled before I could see what they looked like after a few years.

With some headlight shapes/designs and depending how long they are in the sun, you can go a while after sanding/polishing and putting on a sealant before they yellow again but then others like the GS430 just go back to milky/yellow pretty quickly if they are exposed to any kind of UV for a decent amount of time no matter what wax or sealant you put on them.

aren't you supposed to polish after sanding THEN shoot the clear??
Old 05-28-20, 02:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
aren't you supposed to polish after sanding THEN shoot the clear??
No, it needs a roughed surface to adhere properly too. It will fill in the sanding scratches and they will disappear, I was very apprehensive about it too but that is what happened.