Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Lease buyout question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 10:08 AM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Lease buyout question

Hi there, I am in Southern California and was going to cash buy out my Lease that just ended. I was sent this from the dealer when I called and asked what the process should be. I have read about them adding unnecessary fees but what do you think about these?
I was told to just go through LF to pay off instead of the dealer? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-27-20, 11:04 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Some states require you to go through the dealer for buyout, but I don’t think CA is one of them. Definitely skip the dealer (and their $1k inspection fee). Call Lexus Financial and they should be able to help you.
Old 05-27-20, 11:11 AM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

Thank You. That fee seemed very excessive.
Old 05-27-20, 11:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I don't understand why an inspection is needed if you are buying it out, rather than returning it.

I found this article about it:
Now, if your only option is to head back to the dealership for financing, there are a few things to keep in mind to avoid getting scammed. Some dealerships will tell you that your car must undergo a mandatory inspection and service before they are able to sell the vehicle to you. They’ll cite “liability” reasons, but that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense considering you’re the one that has been driving the vehicle for the past few years.

In fact, no one knows the history of the vehicle better than you and you likely know it’s safe to drive. So why would a dealership insist you do an inspection anyway? Some shady dealerships want to charge you for the inspection and service, and they’ll likely try to force you into some unnecessary fixes before they will sell you the vehicle. Believe it or not, there are actually dealerships that refuse to let you buy out your lease until you pay for the inspection and service.

So how do you avoid being forced into an unnecessary inspection? Simply go to another dealership that doesn’t require the inspection and service. If the dealership you’re at is requiring the inspection before letting you finance the vehicle, your best option is to walk out the door and find one that is honest and willing to work with you.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...g-scammed.html
Old 05-27-20, 12:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't understand why an inspection is needed if you are buying it out, rather than returning it.

I found this article about it:

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...g-scammed.html
This^^. That's insane that they will inspect the car that you already possess. You should tell them YOU will charge them your standard Purchase Fee of $1,495.99.

I'd also tell them you aren't paying for "Other". Explain *exactly* what it is, or waive it.

The others you just need to determine if they are fees the dealer is paying to other parties, or by state regulation....and if so, are they padding those fees. Anything they are paying themselves is fair for them to charge them back to you.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-27-20 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 01:35 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Hmmm, it makes one wonder if the "lease buyout inspection" was mentioned in the original lease contract.

Regardless, it sounds like AutoNation is a place to avoid.
Old 05-27-20, 01:46 PM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

*Update* I just spoke with LF and told them I was going to purchase the vehicle and wanted to know the price after tax. The representative said there is no tax until you re-title it at the DMV. He said the cost is 23402.80 and to write them a check after I receive the paperwork. Wow, what a dealer scam. Yes, avoid Lexus Autonation for trying to do something like this. Once this is all paid for I am going to text the E-sales guy back and ask him some questions regarding these fees they try to tack on.
Old 05-27-20, 03:50 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyKing
*Update* I just spoke with LF and told them I was going to purchase the vehicle and wanted to know the price after tax. The representative said there is no tax until you re-title it at the DMV. He said the cost is 23402.80 and to write them a check after I receive the paperwork. Wow, what a dealer scam. Yes, avoid Lexus Autonation for trying to do something like this. Once this is all paid for I am going to text the E-sales guy back and ask him some questions regarding these fees they try to tack on.
Not sure how it works in CA, but here in PA, when you go to the dealer, they handle titling your car, so you don't have to go to the DMV, but you pay the dealer licensing fees that you would have paid at the DMV (plus an upcharge--which is usually worth it so you don't have to stand in a 2 hour line @ DMV).
Old 05-27-20, 05:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Why is your payoff different than their selling price? It looks like they want to buy the car out at the end of the lease themselves from Lexus Financial and then sell the car back to you for an increased price.
Old 05-28-20, 09:00 AM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
Why is your payoff different than their selling price? It looks like they want to buy the car out at the end of the lease themselves from Lexus Financial and then sell the car back to you for an increased price.

​​​​​​​They added the "Lease buyout inspection" fee to the price which the guy said was to make sure the car was safe to drive. I'm glad they have a thoughtful service like this to make sure my car is still safe for me to buy. What a joke.
Old 05-28-20, 09:02 AM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not sure how it works in CA, but here in PA, when you go to the dealer, they handle titling your car, so you don't have to go to the DMV, but you pay the dealer licensing fees that you would have paid at the DMV (plus an upcharge--which is usually worth it so you don't have to stand in a 2 hour line @ DMV).
Haha true, Luckily that's where AAA comes in.
Old 05-28-20, 10:35 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

They added the "Lease buyout inspection" fee to the price which the guy said was to make sure the car was safe to drive. I'm glad they have a thoughtful service like this to make sure my car is still safe for me to buy. What a joke.
I'll put it this way. When I traded a leased car a few years ago, they didn't make me do an inspection. They just took the car. Seems like a similar scenario here.
Old 05-28-20, 03:21 PM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'll put it this way. When I traded a leased car a few years ago, they didn't make me do an inspection. They just took the car. Seems like a similar scenario here.
Ya, the dealer was trying to pull a fast one for sure. I went directly through LF and they only want the original price nothing added. Once I have the title in hand I will be contacting the dealer about why they try to add these extra fees.
Old 05-31-20, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Once I have the title in hand I will be contacting the dealer about why they try to add these extra fees.
Why bother? You know the answer. They want to make more money.
Old 06-01-20, 10:21 AM
BobbyKing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why bother? You know the answer. They want to make more money.
Well, I am not going to tell them I have already gone through LF when I reply. If he tries to tell me something along the lines of that fee is mandatory and I must pay it. It would be helpful to be able to put that on here to let others know what they are trying to do.

Quick Reply: Lexus Lease buyout question