Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW 4 Series with the beaver GRILLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 10:51 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

I've normally tended to view criticism about front grilles as a little over the top, be it Lexus, Audi, BMW or whomever, they are rarely as bad as the internet noise would have you believe, but in this case I'd have to agree - that grille doesn't really work...
Old 03-10-21, 11:15 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Between the grille and the car sounding like a leaf blower, I'm good.
Old 03-10-21, 01:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
New M3 and M4. M3 was stick. M4 was the Competition model (503hp vs 473hp). Haven't come across an optional AWD model yet. Finally the interior is updated to reflect the latest 3-Series, the F80 interior was so dated and cheap inside. This is a great improvement. M3 was in Brooklyn Grey, and M4 was in Portimao Blue
The AWD are not out yet and will be 2022MY with July production.

I prefer the F80 interior and the the materials used are worse on the new G80 imo.
The new steering wheel is horrendous and not sporty compared to F80 plus with the CF pack, the CF bits look like cheap EBay stick on. The F80 was very sporty with minimal buttons.

The gauges on G80 are all digital and have almost zero customization.
I much prefer analog gauges and F80 had some of the best.
Porsche and Lexus do a great job on 911 and LC500 of keeping analog rpm gauge and having digital for the other stuff. M3 gauges are same as all the other new BMWs.

Plus no more Manual handbrake in new M3! Huge negative for me.

The only clear improvement are the CF bucket seats.

Engine bay is a huge letdown as well vs F80.

Exterior design is atrocious although i much prefer M3 over M4.

In conclusion - i will be keeping my F80 for now 😀
Old 03-10-21, 01:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I had a chance to film the exhaust of the new G80 M3 and did a brief video to compare it to my M3 Comp.

G80 M3 has a deeper sound and removes almost all the rasp.
F80 M3 has a higher pitch and is much louder overall with crackle and pops from burbles.

Both sound good but new G80 M3 has a much more muted and less distinctive exhaust sound. Obviously i prefer the F80.

Old 03-10-21, 02:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I prefer the F80 interior and the the materials used are worse on the new G80 imo.
The new steering wheel is horrendous and not sporty compared to F80 plus with the CF pack, the CF bits look like cheap EBay stick on. The F80 was very sporty with minimal buttons.

The gauges on G80 are all digital and have almost zero customization.
I much prefer analog gauges and F80 had some of the best.
Porsche and Lexus do a great job on 911 and LC500 of keeping analog rpm gauge and having digital for the other stuff. M3 gauges are same as all the other new BMWs.

Plus no more Manual handbrake in new M3! Huge negative for me.

The only clear improvement are the CF bucket seats.

Engine bay is a huge letdown as well vs F80.

Exterior design is atrocious although i much prefer M3 over M4.

In conclusion - i will be keeping my F80 for now 😀
Are you going to test drive? You think it will be (significantly) faster than your F80? Looks like a good track car but those seats don't look that comfy for a long distance drive and really, too heavy for a true track car. If I wanted something more tossable, I'd just get an M2 comp which is a little slower but seems more fun.
Old 03-10-21, 02:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Any word on aftermarket front bumpers yet? The M3 is near perfect to me outside of that grill which makes it d.o.a. for me.
I had a chance to checkout a Black M3 and that is the way to go on these. The grill doesn’t look as bad in person on black car. The Dodge hood is just as bad as the grill then you have the fake black plastic side vents and the huge goofy mirrors. The design is absolute mess in many ways. Hoping they do quick LCI if it doesn’t sell well. I know the 4series with the new grill are not doing well at all.
Old 03-10-21, 02:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I know the 4series with the new grill are not doing well at all.
Is that really the case, or is it just production capacity issues?
Old 03-10-21, 02:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Are you going to test drive? You think it will be (significantly) faster than your F80? Looks like a good track car but those seats don't look that comfy for a long distance drive and really, too heavy for a true track car. If I wanted something more tossable, I'd just get an M2 comp which is a little slower but seems more fun.
My F80 is a DCT this new one is a regular Auto.
The DCT is NOT for everyone- it is very jerky at slow speeds, no Park button etc. But when you are driving aggressively, the shifts are immediate and it bangs through the gears which really makes the driving experience unique and fun. To me that is a HUGE loss on the new one.

My F80 is REALLY fast - it is stock as for me it has too much power. My 911 T is slower and I think it’s probably the perfect amount of power as i can enjoy it before i hit triple digits. My M3 is so fast and there is almost no sensation of speed. My driving skills can’t match its capabilities. 911 is much more engaging as the power comes in more like NA motor.

If i ever want more power - I would just get Stage 1 tune.

G80 does seem to be much better at putting the power down from a stop where F80 would just spin the tires. If u look at the torque curve, G80 has less torque down low vs F80 probably to solve the traction issue.

When F80 came out - I HAD to have it. The new one is meh.
Honestly not a lot of new cars have intrigued me besides Porsche GT3. Everything is hybrid or EV or has weird styling with all digital/safety crap.
Old 03-10-21, 02:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Is that really the case, or is it just production capacity issues?
Plenty of them on the dealer lots. They look scary 😟.

Even new M3/4 - my local dealer has some fully available for delivery.
Old 03-10-21, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Good info, thanks

I prefer the F80 interior and the the materials used are worse on the new G80 imo. The new steering wheel is horrendous and not sporty compared to F80 plus with the CF pack, the CF bits look like cheap EBay stick on. The F80 was very sporty with minimal buttons.
Sorry I disagree. From my own experience between the two, I marked good surfaces to the touch (blue) and poor surfaces (red). The F80 has a lot of inferior plastics especially the bezels around the gear selector, door lock/ hazard, lights. For the record I'm not knocking it for design, that's subjective. I agree the wheel looks better on the F80.

Old 03-10-21, 02:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

My F80 is a DCT this new one is a regular Auto.
The DCT is NOT for everyone- it is very jerky at slow speeds, no Park button etc. But when you are driving aggressively, the shifts are immediate and it bangs through the gears which really makes the driving experience unique and fun. To me that is a HUGE loss on the new one.

My F80 is REALLY fast - it is stock as for me it has too much power. My 911 T is slower and I think it’s probably the perfect amount of power as i can enjoy it before i hit triple digits. My M3 is so fast and there is almost no sensation of speed. My driving skills can’t match its capabilities. 911 is much more engaging as the power comes in more like NA motor.

If i ever want more power - I would just get Stage 1 tune.

G80 does seem to be much better at putting the power down from a stop where F80 would just spin the tires. If u look at the torque curve, G80 has less torque down low vs F80 probably to solve the traction issue.

When F80 came out - I HAD to have it. The new one is meh.
Honestly not a lot of new cars have intrigued me besides Porsche GT3. Everything is hybrid or EV or has weird styling with all digital/safety crap.
Thanks for feedback. I guess i wouldn't really consider an M car if I had a P car. Also, I'm actually surprised that the initial numbers from the G80 indicate it won't even be fast as the Model 3 Performance...I thought for sure BMW would target it and try to beat it. It does seem to handle better with that crazy drift mode which is awesome. If I could get any BMW right now though, I'd pick that M2 Comp...it just looks awesome and so small. Also, it seems from the Chris Harris review that steering feel is still kinda numb...i bet its not any better than the F80 currently has.

The good part is that I priced out the new M3 on the site and came away with a well equipped one for $80k. Thats actually not to bad of a price so I think these things will sell pretty well given its performance chops.
Old 03-10-21, 02:33 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Plenty of them on the dealer lots. They look scary 😟.

Even new M3/4 - my local dealer has some fully available for delivery.
I guess we'll have to wait and see for the quarterly sales data to come out before we can affirm. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't doing well, but since coupes aren't selling well across the board, I wonder if it has to do with the beaver grille at all. The 8 Series coupe was a flop as well and it had a standard kidney grille.
Old 03-10-21, 05:25 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thanks for feedback. I guess i wouldn't really consider an M car if I had a P car. Also, I'm actually surprised that the initial numbers from the G80 indicate it won't even be fast as the Model 3 Performance...I thought for sure BMW would target it and try to beat it. It does seem to handle better with that crazy drift mode which is awesome. If I could get any BMW right now though, I'd pick that M2 Comp...it just looks awesome and so small. Also, it seems from the Chris Harris review that steering feel is still kinda numb...i bet its not any better than the F80 currently has.

The good part is that I priced out the new M3 on the site and came away with a well equipped one for $80k. Thats actually not to bad of a price so I think these things will sell pretty well given its performance chops.
M2 is nice car but the interior is not great and to me the seating position is not ideal especially compared to F8x plus some other elements I’m not keen on.

I think the new M3/4 will do well in sales especially when AWD becomes available. It’s a much better daily with the Auto and AWD will make it appealing to those that live in snow climates and need all season car. I used to daily the 2016 M3 i had with baby seat in the back and the horrible NYC roads lol.

For the $$$, it’s hard to beat the performance and luxury that these cars provide. That’s why its even more frustrating that they made it look like crap.

As far as 911 and M3 - they are very different and I really enjoy having both. Plenty of P car owners also own M cars.
Old 03-10-21, 06:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I had a chance to film the exhaust of the new G80 M3 and did a brief video to compare it to my M3 Comp.

G80 M3 has a deeper sound and removes almost all the rasp.
F80 M3 has a higher pitch and is much louder overall with crackle and pops from burbles.

Both sound good but new G80 M3 has a much more muted and less distinctive exhaust sound. Obviously i prefer the F80.
To be honest IMO both don’t sound good at all. No I6 or V6 sounds good to my ears compared to a V8 or certain V10s.
Old 03-11-21, 06:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
To be honest IMO both don’t sound good at all. No I6 or V6 sounds good to my ears compared to a V8 or certain V10s.
Completely disagree - 2JZ sounds great, S54 in E46 M3 sounds epic, the Flat 6 in GT3 etc. Plenty of great sounding 6cyl motors. Nissan, Jaguar etc had some amazing in-line 6 motors as well. V6s are harder to make sound pleasing just because of their setup.

The S55 and S58 engines are not great sounding but they do sound good. The issue is you don’t get much induction/engine noise in the cabin at all like on E46 or E9x M3. I recommend you take one out for a spin. Just not a tuned or modified one that has obnoxious exhaust.

Quick Reply: New BMW 4 Series with the beaver GRILLE