Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW 4 Series with the beaver GRILLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 07:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Completely disagree - 2JZ sounds great, S54 in E46 M3 sounds epic, the Flat 6 in GT3 etc. Plenty of great sounding 6cyl motors. Nissan, Jaguar etc had some amazing in-line 6 motors as well. V6s are harder to make sound pleasing just because of their setup.

The S55 and S58 engines are not great sounding but they do sound good. The issue is you don’t get much induction/engine noise in the cabin at all like on E46 or E9x M3. I recommend you take one out for a spin. Just not a tuned or modified one that has obnoxious exhaust.
I always liked how the Nissan GTR sounded and especially the low growl of the G35 / 350Z. This was when Nissan was actually good
Old 03-11-21, 07:14 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Completely disagree - 2JZ sounds great, S54 in E46 M3 sounds epic, the Flat 6 in GT3 etc. Plenty of great sounding 6cyl motors. Nissan, Jaguar etc had some amazing in-line 6 motors as well. V6s are harder to make sound pleasing just because of their setup.

The S55 and S58 engines are not great sounding but they do sound good. The issue is you don’t get much induction/engine noise in the cabin at all like on E46 or E9x M3. I recommend you take one out for a spin. Just not a tuned or modified one that has obnoxious exhaust.
Good call on the GT3, that car does sound really good. It’s all personal preference, I owned my 94 SupraTT for years and I thought it sounded okay. I have a B58 now and it sounds okay. Same with my GTR, sounds okay even with midpipe and exhaust. Not bad, but not great either. One V8 I always thought sounded great were mustangs even though I never really liked them.
Old 03-11-21, 10:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
I also have a B58 in my X3 and had NA 2JZ in my GS300.
The inline 6 engine noise is just so nice and smooth. It’s important to distinguish engine sound and exhaust sound also.

I suggest you unlock the exhaust flap to get better sound.
Old 03-11-21, 03:27 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
To be honest IMO both don’t sound good at all. No I6 or V6 sounds good to my ears compared to a V8 or certain V10s.
it depends on what kind of sound you like. Many vintage Ford V8s sounded spectacular because of their firing order. I enjoyed the sound of the 7M-GTE at full song. In general, when it comes to engine configurations, The inline 6, flat six, V8, V10 or V12 all usually sound great. Too bad they’re all going out of fashion.
Old 03-11-21, 06:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the "newer" interior doesnt even look that much newer
Old 03-12-21, 09:03 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a good news for all the peoples that are disturbed by the beaver grill type.
Lexus grills in the IS and RC are quite appealing to the eyes, even if some few find them over the top.
And Mercedes, Renault and Kia still have normal grills (for now).
... ah yes, and there are conversion kits around, that you can buy to make your BMW look normal.
Old 03-12-21, 09:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benoit
I have a good news for all the peoples that are disturbed by the beaver grill type.
Lexus grills in the IS and RC are quite appealing to the eyes, even if some few find them over the top.
And Mercedes, Renault and Kia still have normal grills (for now).
... ah yes, and there are conversion kits around, that you can buy to make your BMW look normal.
Lexus grills are just a little less hideous than the BMW.

MB and others don’t have competition for M3/4 with new C63 being hybrid 4cyl.

There are no conversion kits that i know of, just photoshop pics. iND just took delivery of their M4 so hopefully they can work their magic on a new front.
Old 03-12-21, 02:54 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The worst part of the beaver grille isn't so much the design as it is the awkward placement of the radar in some corner of the grille and how a license plate looks laughably absurd when mounted on it. I can't think of a single other grille that has such an awkward layout.
Old 03-12-21, 05:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

i can't comment on how they sound from inside, but when an M4 drives by it really doesn't sound good... my non-enthusiast friend actually asked if something was wrong with the car after an M4 drove past once lol

the old n/a M3 models sounded fantastic (especially the E92 omg that was amazing with some exhaust work) but these turbo models just make the same indistinct boring fart and popping sounds
Old 03-12-21, 07:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

car kinda sounds like when i start up one of my portable generators
Old 03-13-21, 08:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Doug reviews M3 and M4's, he really likes the manual version. I still can't believe how expensive M3/M4's have got and people pay it, especially with that hideous grill and odd interior design.

Old 03-13-21, 08:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Doug reviews M3 and M4's, he really likes the manual version. I still can't believe how expensive M3/M4's have got and people pay it, especially with that hideous grill and odd interior design.

The performance is very good though and seems very fun to drive. The M brand is extremely strong too so people get past the hideous grill
Old 03-13-21, 10:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hucRrlWhWaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsYzCtdR2E
I disagree that it’s expensive.
The build for a new one with Comp Pack and Executive Pack is actually cheaper than what my 2018 M3 cost.
If you option the exterior Carbon Pack than it can get pricey.

Also i’m not fully sold on the performance improvement - it is a better car for daily duties as the torque converter auto is much more refined than the DCT was. Also it looks like it puts the power down much better than F8x.

Chris Harris has great review on it and one of the more unbiased ones. None of these YouTubers want to **** off BMW...

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-13-21 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-13-21, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I still can't believe how expensive M3/M4's have got and people pay it, especially with that hideous grill and odd interior design.
you bring up shock at new car prices seemingly with every new car. Is there ANY new car price you're ok with?
Old 03-14-21, 10:37 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in NYC, and I have not seen one new M3/M4 on the road yet...........wondering how the sales are going for BMW with this new grille.

Quick Reply: New BMW 4 Series with the beaver GRILLE