Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW 4 Series with the beaver GRILLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
And can someone please change the thread title.
Not sure what you had in mind, but i changed it.
Old 06-05-20, 11:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not sure what you had in mind, but i changed it.
I find the new title acceptable.
Old 06-08-20, 09:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The largest impact to BMW share loss has been Tesla. Even the M3/M4 will continue to bleed shares to Tesla because of pricing...a Performance 3 undercuts even the M340/440 by quite a substantial margin and significantly faster. The demographics also align in terms of buyers...most of BMWs are sold on the coasts which are also Tesla's main buyer group. Even the new cars probably won't reverse this trend.
Why is Tesla again being brought up in another model thread? Tesla 3 and M3/M4 buyers are totally different in most cases, they are very different cars, Tesla's aren't track/handling performance cars and are just no attractive or aggressive like M cars, just because it can do a impressive 0-60 a few times when conditions are perfect does not mean it is suddenly a M3/M4/911 competitor or gets the same buyers. Of course you have a few buyers of M cars that just want the new thing, don't know much about cars and may get a Tesla to have the new thing again but I don't think that is any kind of real trend. M cars have stiffer competition from improved Audi, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo including all the low slung sedan models which are likely eating more sales, plus you have 340i's putting out huge numbers they never really put out which may make it seem like a M car is not worth the extra money like it used to be.
Old 06-08-20, 09:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Why is Tesla again being brought up in another model thread? Tesla 3 and M3/M4 buyers are totally different in most cases, they are very different cars, Tesla's aren't track/handling performance cars and are just no attractive or aggressive like M cars, just because it can do a impressive 0-60 a few times when conditions are perfect does not mean it is suddenly a M3/M4/911 competitor or gets the same buyers. Of course you have a few buyers of M cars that just want the new thing, don't know much about cars and may get a Tesla to have the new thing again but I don't think that is any kind of real trend. M cars have stiffer competition from improved Audi, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo including all the low slung sedan models which are likely eating more sales, plus you have 340i's putting out huge numbers they never really put out which may make it seem like a M car is not worth the extra money like it used to be.
They are marketed as competitors by most publications. My point was that they've had a significant impact on sales for the segment. For the hardcore track purist, the M3/4 is the better car. For the casual M buyer, they will consider the Tesla.

I also agree that the M340 is putting out such good numbers that it may impact M sales overall. M340 is a very fast car.
Old 06-08-20, 10:32 AM
southernx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm going to dub it the Bugs Bunny Grille. I think it sort suits the whole cartoon theme that BMW seems to have adopted with their car designs.
Old 06-09-20, 03:50 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

i learned two things in this thread:
1. i don't like BMW's new grille
2. i've been spelling grille (vs. grill) incorrectly this whole time - forgive me internet!
Old 06-11-20, 08:35 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I guess it's just natural that we get bored with the conventional and therefore perk up when things are changed. Me, I think the complex front and rear end looks ridiculous, with nooks and crannies and pointless creases here and there. Same goes for the gigantic Lexus spindle grilles, which one day will draw smiles at auto shows the way that enormous tail fins on older cars do today. As in, "What were they thinking?"

You have to assume that BMW did a lot of focus-group testing, so maybe folks in their market segment LIKE the new look. We'll see.

Old 06-11-20, 12:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

99.9% people on the BMW forums hate it.
BMW’s instagram posts are also filled with all negative reaction.

Not sure what focus groups they used, maybe same ones Porsche did for 996 - obviously this is a disaster.
Old 06-11-20, 01:28 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Not sure what focus groups they used, maybe same ones Porsche did for 996 - obviously this is a disaster.
Yeah I would think I would part of their target market, driving exclusively 3-series sedans for the past 20+ years. But neither myself, nor anyone I know who drives a 3 or 4 series likes this or would be interested in buying one. This design would absolutely push me into a G70, S5, or 2-series.
Old 06-11-20, 01:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I don't hate it as much as I think others do, but I definitely don't consider it a looker and had hoped for better. It's a shame, because I bet it's a great handling/driving car.

Last edited by JDR76; 06-11-20 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 01:40 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Let's be honest, enthusiasts and tuners on BMW forums and kids on Instagram aren't exactly what make up the thousands of customers in BMW's global market. The internet would have you thinking that everyone wants a manual transmission and nobody likes big grilles. I don't care at all for how the beaver grille looks, but I'm 100% certain it will sell well.
Old 06-11-20, 02:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Let's be honest, enthusiasts and tuners on BMW forums and kids on Instagram aren't exactly what make up the thousands of customers in BMW's global market. The internet would have you thinking that everyone wants a manual transmission and nobody likes big grilles. I don't care at all for how the beaver grille looks, but I'm 100% certain it will sell well.
You are wrong on this - enthusiasts are minority but have loud voice. BMW forums are also monitored by corporate. The media reviews also will not be kind to this design just like when the Bangle butt was ridiculed.

Their head of design is already not happy with the criticism that the 7 LCI received so I can’t imagine his reaction to this.

996 was successful in terms of sales but Porsche still fixed the headlights on 997 and has not messed with them again. A used 996 is so cheap primarily because of its design.

Just look at this mess:

Old 06-11-20, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I mean...there just isn't any way I could drive that car. I feel the same way about the 7 LCI, I really like the current 7 Series, and everything else they did in the LCI is so great, but every time I see that giant grille, there is just no way I could drive that car. Now, the X7 I think is a different story because the big grille works with that size and design, but the 7 LCI it literally looks like a photoshop joke. This is the same way
Old 06-11-20, 03:21 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just look at this mess:

the face just looks terrible in white from 20ft away

with the dark blue, it's not as noticeable

The white really highlights the bigass nostrils and thin lips, 2 traits that make humans look ugly
Old 06-12-20, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
the face just looks terrible in white from 20ft away
most modern cars with big grilles look terrible in white.

with the dark blue, it's not as noticeable
and in black even less noticeable.

Quick Reply: New BMW 4 Series with the beaver GRILLE